oho
Corporal

Need some advice on grand campaign, august as french.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:25 am

How do you find the russian army after you destroyed the austrian army and moved to vienna?

How can it be, that a whole austrian corps sudenly shows up at Ulm although it is way in the rear of my main army and there were no austrian regions left?
Should it not be detected when I have military control of the regions or do I have to leave cav. division strolling around to detect enemies in the rear of the frontline.
What is your tactics?

TC271
Sergeant

Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:56 pm

oho wrote:How do you find the russian army after you destroyed the austrian army and moved to vienna?

How can it be, that a whole austrian corps sudenly shows up at Ulm although it is way in the rear of my main army and there were no austrian regions left?
Should it not be detected when I have military control of the regions or do I have to leave cav. division strolling around to detect enemies in the rear of the frontline.
What is your tactics?

Austria has forces in Bavaria at the start of the game which you can miss if you charge headlong to Vienna...also the AI in these games loves deep raiding even at the expense of defending capitals or building up its forces so you need to have plenty of recon to detect this

Its probaly wise to detach at least two corps from the main body of the Grand Armee to secure your lines of communications through Bavaria and along the Danube - I usualy choose Bernadotte and Augereau as they command smaller corps with only two divisions. Also Murat has a division of un mounted Dragoons that I find useful to split into brigades and garrison depots and forts I take along the way.

You can build small two element Chasseur brigades at the start of the game and i would do this in Strasbourg in turn 1 and use them as recon assets North of the Dabube (you can detach more of Murats Cavalry to help with this I sually just leave Murate with the Cuirasiers and use the Dragoon division as independant assets.

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 pm

@oho. Austrian units can move into Bavaria and across your lines of communication from either across the alps (make sure you send a unit to take Innsbruck) or from Prague. I make a point of increasing Bavaria's diplomatic status from Defensive treaty to alliance partner and then request a force from them, which I use defensively in Bavaria. I also bring Moncey in from Paris to lead a defensive force in Ulm. As I move across to Vienna, I build depot brigade units which I use in Nuremburh, Ratisbon, Munich, Passau, and Linz. I ensure there are supply depots in cities as I go to have strong supply lines.
"Here I am sitting at a comfortable table loaded heavily with books, with one eye on my typewriter and the other on Licorice the cat, who has a great fondness for carbon paper, and I am telling you that the Emperor Napoleon was a most contemptible person. But should I happen to look out the window, down upon Seventh Avenue, and should the endless procession of trucks and carts come to a sudden halt, and should I hear the sound of heavy drums and see the little man on his white horse, in his old and much-worn green uniform, then I don't know, but I am afraid that I would leave my books and the kitten and my home and everything else to follow him wherever he cared to lead. My own grandfather did this, and Heaven knows he was not born to be a hero."
- Hendrik Willem van Loon

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”