Drake001
Sergeant

Coaltions and alliances

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Thought I'd try a different thread to ask the devs.

Is it going to be possible for Prussia, Austria, Sweden (if they are in), Russia, etc to pursue an independent policy and willingly ally with France during the course of the game (and join that side or coalition)? What about neutrality?

And then secondarily, will it be possible (allowed in gameplay) for these countries to fulfill some of their objectives that were on the table or in mind at the time, such as Prussia's desire to form a North German Confederation including Hannover? Others might include Austrian influence over southern German states and Italian states after HRE falls, or regaining Silesia, or Swedish control of Norway, or even the reformation of Poland-Lithuania?

Lysimaque
Corporal

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:57 pm

It is very interesting questions and it would be very nice to have an answer. Well i think the game will not be released in 2015, because many choices like this one seem not clearly enought.

Drake001
Sergeant

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 am

Bump

Durk

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:56 am

My guess is that you will love the diplomatic interface. All these possibilities will be present, depending upon play, chance and opportunity, of course.

Pocus

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 am

A major country can be neutral relatively to both France and Great-Britain. The basic premise of our game though is that GBR is always at war with France and that each is at the head of a coalition/Alliance. It is in theory possible to have Prussia having a war with Russia, while both are neutral toward Great Britain and France.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Drake001
Sergeant

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:50 am

My guess is that you will love the diplomatic interface. All these possibilities will be present, depending upon play, chance and opportunity, of course.

I am sharing your optimism.

I hope that the diplomacy interface allows for negotiation of some sort. If you want my subsidies then give me control of Malta or acknowledge that Malta is in my sphere of influence. Or, if you want me in your coalition then recognize my control of Hanover or that it is in my sphere of influence (Prussia to England or to France).

Diplomacy was so important in this time and the back and forth behind the scenes negotiations were like a war itself. In fact, the computer AI should treat the negotiations just like a war...deciding whether to hold or "retreat" from a place that is in their interest or in someone else's that it wishes to impede.

seathom
Colonel

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:44 am

In addition to these non-war diplomatic options, I also hope they come into play in Peace Treaties, as in Empires in Arms did -- that was one of my favorite things in the game was designing my own peace treaty depending on how much you want to "lose" in the war.

Thoronir
Conscript

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Pocus wrote:A major country can be neutral relatively to both France and Great-Britain. The basic premise of our game though is that GBR is always at war with France and that each is at the head of a coalition/Alliance. It is in theory possible to have Prussia having a war with Russia, while both are neutral toward Great Britain and France.

Pretty much like March of the Eagles then. I seem to recall that Ageod developped some parts of that game before it got finished by Paradox Interactive.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”