Le Ricain

Napoleon on the BBC

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:45 am

Tonight, BBC2 started a two part series on Napoleon. The series is narrated by historian Andrew Roberts. What makes this series unusual is that it portrays Napoleon favourably. This is most unusual for a British production. None of this 'Corsican Ogre' treatment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Ebbingford

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 am

Don't you find it a bit strange that the only vaguely Napoleonic program on the TV, I'm talking Freesat here, still quite a few channels though, is this Napoleon program?
I haven't found anything yet about Waterloo. Not even a showing of the clasic film :(
Are we not allowed to celebrate our past any more?
Are our viewing habits dictated by left wing, Guardian reading, beard wearing, PC brigade do-gooders? :grr:

(Sorry rant over)
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

DrPostman

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:37 am

Is this the "Napoleon, the Russian Campaign"? I've watched part 1 so far
and thought it was excellent. BTW, just downloaded Sean Bean on Waterloo,
so it looks like there is more in the offing. Also, there's a series on Napoleon
that started recently. It's a 3 part series: http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-49327
I believe the latter must be what you are referring to on BBC2. I haven't watched it
yet because I'm waiting to have all 3.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Le Ricain

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

Ebbingford wrote:Don't you find it a bit strange that the only vaguely Napoleonic program on the TV, I'm talking Freesat here, still quite a few channels though, is this Napoleon program?
I haven't found anything yet about Waterloo. Not even a showing of the clasic film :(
Are we not allowed to celebrate our past any more?
Are our viewing habits dictated by left wing, Guardian reading, beard wearing, PC brigade do-gooders? :grr:

(Sorry rant over)

Tonight at 21:00, BBC2 (Scotland) is presenting 'Scots at Waterloo'. Maybe, you can access this through iplayer?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Ebbingford

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for the heads up on that, I can get BBC2 Scotland on freesat :thumbsup:

It does rather bear out my initial gripe though, it's on BBC2 Scotland..... 200th anniversary and absolutely nothing else. :(
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Le Ricain

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:10 pm

I agree with you. I just thought that you needed some cheering up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

DrPostman

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Or you can torrent, like I do ;) I haven't watched a commercial in years.
[ATTACH]33818[/ATTACH]
Attachments
theft.png
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Ebbingford

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Le Ricain wrote:I agree with you. I just thought that you needed some cheering up.

Just watched it. :thumbsup:

Shri

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 am

Anyone here a fan of Bondrachuk Sergei- 2 masterpiece albeit extremely long films on the Napoleonic wars-
One is WAR & PEACE - quite true to the novel.
Second is Waterloo.

The battles are awesome, the Red army loaned some 12000 troops and 2000 horses as also several barracks and a few villages to do all that shooting.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”