seathom
Colonel

Is it too late to buy the original Napoleon game?

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:45 am

The Napoleonic era has always been one of my favorite historical times. I played the heck out of Empires in Arms (the board game) yet somehow I missed the original AGEOD game. I probably thought it might be outdated and didn't think twice about it (Great Invasions come to mind - novel concept but is pretty outdated IMHO).

I will definitely buy NC2 as soon as it comes out, especially since there will be a grand campaign; however if I buy the original game will I have time to play it much before NC2 comes out? I know its only $20, but still, a buck is a buck.

I have been buying my games on Steam for the past year or so, but obviously I will have to buy it through AGEOD this time since Steam doesn't have this one. But my second question is about access to the download. I change computers frequently and I am no computer whiz so I enjoy the access I have from Steam to re-download my games on different computers. If I buy from AGEOD, will I have that same access? I am an airhead when it comes to keeping receipts of downloads and I truly want to buy through AGEOD because all the threads state it helps the company when we buy through them, but if I don't have easy access to download (and update) I fear I will be buying multiple copies of games I like (which I have unfortunately done in the past too many times!).

Just because ... my favorite AGEOD games of the ones I've bought: (1) Pride of Nations and all its DLC's MORE PLEASE!!!; (2) To End All Wars and its DLC; (3) Civil War 2;(4) Alea Jacta Est and all its DLC's; (5) Birth of America; (6) Rise of Prussia; and (7) Great Invasions

Franciscus

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi

In my personal opinion there is much to enjoy in the Napoleon's campaigns original game. It has nothing to do with the Great Invasions engine, in fact it uses a very similar version of the Ageod engine used for example, in AJE, RoP, and BoA. It covers the main Napoleonic campaigns and with the latest official patch it is very polished, IMHO. The "scenario" type of this game (ie, no grand campaign) is somewhat similar to what you get in AJE, and that is not necessarily a bad thing, due to the attention to the detail of every scenario and the focus on operational warfare that it provides.

Ageod and Matrix are not like Steam. If you want to reinstall a game you have to have the serial number and the original setup file. To be safe, you should keep (on an external drive, for example) a copy of the setup file and the SN.

However:
- Ageod guys are top-notch at helping customers and if you provide a minimum amount of details they have been known to readily provide again your SN and even the full setup files :thumbsup:
- You can register your serial number at Matrix site, and retrieve it anytime you want.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

seathom
Colonel

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:23 am

Franciscus, thanks for the info on registering a SN at Matrix, that makes all the difference (hopefully they never go out of business!). I do check the Matrix site somewhat regularly, I should have noticed that! OK, from now on I will buy all AGEOD games from the company.

Thanks also on your opinion about the game. I'm sure it is a great game from the screenshots and I'm bouncing back and forth between NC and The Bloody Road South DLC. At first, I thought the DLC just had extra scenarios, which didn't thrill me; but then I noticed the 1862 Campaign (and the other two) and since I really love longer campaigns because they allow more of a cushion to make mistakes while learning, that DLC has become a must buy. All in all, a fun decision is better than a tough decision! I might anger people around here, but now I'm hoping NGC won't come out until Nov/Dec to give me more time to play NC.

bkosar19
Sergeant

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Maybe I'm too late, but thought I'd chime in with my two cents.

I'd skip buying the original NCP.

Firstly, it is dated. It's nearly eight years old. Thus, it's missing a LOT of stuff that Ageod has incorporated into more recent additions of this engine. Two big examples: you can't recruit new units or make on-map "decisions."

Secondly, it's one of the "lesser" games of the Ageod series. This is strictly a matter of taste, but I don't think it's nearly as interesting or fun to play as my other AGEOD games: BOA2, ROP, AJE, or TEAW. My biggest gripe is that it features operational level scenarios on a strategic level map. The map's regions are too large for the scale of its scenarios. Operational level warfare is about maneuver, but there is little room to maneuver in most of NCP's scenarios. You move your armies one or two regions and wham! you've got a battle. If NCP had been released with a map with a scale similar to Rise of Prussia's then it would have worked better.

Thirdly, NCP2 is supposed to be coming out sometime this year. Allegedly, it's going to have a larger map. So, I'd wait for a game that will likely be vastly superior to the original. Patience can be a virtue.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:41 pm

I would get it if I were you. It looks beautiful, and it is only about ten dollars in the current Matrix sale.

If you are very lucky you may find a hard copy in one of the Military Strategies packs that AGEOD did a few years ago. I bought several of these to give away to potential recruits to wargaming. Sadly they are harder to get hold of now as digital is the way. In fact I'm beginning to look with affection at my large collection of games in boxes the way I gaze at unread encyclopedias - wistfully thinking time is infinite.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”