Shri

Diversity or one-size fits all?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 pm

I want to know, whether the Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery of each nation (majors) will play to strength and weakness or be equal for game-play.
This will also decide the strategies or rather force strategies.

Eg:

French - Should have the BEST artillery and best cavalry till 1812 or Russian disaster (whichever is earlier), Medium level infantry & lights and near invincible guards.

Austrians- Excellent Light Infantry, Good artillery, excellent cavalry and poor line infantry.

English- Best Infantry on defensive, bad cavalry, medium artillery ... but should have a lot of AMMO. (Money wins wars) also excellent elites/guards like the Guards, Highlanders, Irish, King's German Legion, etc.

Russia- Low on AMMO, ferocious on defence and when charging with bayonets, excellent Light cavalry, good artillery. Also near invincible guards.

Prussia- Poor Artillery, good cavalry, good infantry, excellent lights.

In Navy- Austria, Prussia and Russia reduced to near zero.
Franco-Spanish to low-medium and
English to have Guards Navy!. (well not exactly, but considering their superior construction and training, they could blow out any fleet 1:1)
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I hope diversity will be an option here. Although military models used were similar armies and their tactics were not.

To put some points to your list (although I agree with most).

-French armies should be modeled differently thanks to conscription which added a lot of possible recruits and size + their "column" tactics for such untrained line infantry which proved as an efficient way to use conscripts. (this should apply in early years mostly)

-British army should be the most professional and efficient field army, I would not hamper them on the offense though. It should simply be an efficient but costly and in-size limited war machine. SIZE should be their limit. Unless Britain mobilizes = reduced quality.

-I really wanna see some special care given to Guard units and Elites (something like CW2 flavour brigades)

In navy:

I would not reduced Spaniards and Frenchmen to low-levels. Their combined navy was huge, but they just used it badly. Nelson spanked them mostly because of their stupidity and his unconventional tactics (read genius) + poor training, morale and officer experience in both navies. But those ships were there, people failed here.

Oh, and Danish navy robbery could be a nice touch for France or Britain. :thumbsup:
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

Pocus

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 am

We don't intent of having each units being of same qualities and values for each nation, rest assured. There will be a common trunk but it will lead to differences for each country.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marek1978
Colonel

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:45 am

Pocus wrote:We don't intent of having each units being of same qualities and values for each nation, rest assured. There will be a common trunk but it will lead to differences for each country.

the thing i would love to be avoided is to underestimete the value of the austrian or prussian , or russian unites.
there is belive that their tactics were genneraly inferior to the french in 1805-1809 campaigns
while the truth is that french army was winning as it was better led and trained ( especialy units that went through 1803-1805 Bouologne Camp) and it was easier for the french army to apply advanced tactics of moving from line it to column and back

i invite all forumers to discuss operational dimension of the game :)

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39188-Operational-dimension-of-new-game

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”