Pocus

Diplomatic AI: Insightful comments

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 am

Hello there,

You probably remember the Civilization games series where the AI can get modifiers on relationships because of things like 'We are competing for the same resource'.

Or Alpha Centauri where the AI would spontaneously say something like 'We are started producing Durasteel Meson Infantry, are they not shiny'?

Well, we would like your feedback along these lines. What are the comments or analysis the AI can/should do, about your nation. This can be a negative comment, coming from an analysis over several turns (e.g we really don't appreciate this suspicious build-up at your border', but it can be more menial or positive, like 'Your victory at Austerlitz proved definitively your admirable commanding skills'.

There is absolutely no guarantee that what you suggest can make into the game, and we know you lack details about its design, but fire away nonetheless, and perhaps you'll see in the final product a comment that has been inspired by your suggestions!! :cool:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ace

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:10 pm

You have traded with our worst enemy!
or
You are trading with our worst enemy!

comes to mind if there is a dedicated diplomatic window.

Max 86
Civilian

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Alliance Index: It would be nice to see where other allied nations are in regard to declaring war against France. Since Prussia, Austria, etc. go in and out of the alliance as Nappy spanks them, it would be helpful as England to know how close they are to jumping back in. This would allow a player, England for example, to coordinate an upcoming offensive if you know someone else is going to jump in soon.

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 pm

How about something like this:

"The British crown is not willing to tolerate your incursions in Portugal any longer! War it is!"
"Czar commends you on your genaralship emperor, we wish to sign a peace treaty at once"
"Our empire did not agreed to this, stop at once!"
"British fleet is indominable, do not test our patience emperor!"
"You attacked our merchants, we will give you no quarter!"
"We shall se each other on battlefield mon General!"
"Chancellor gives you his regards emperor, could we come to terms here?"
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

Durk

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:23 am

Smitzer52 you are so out of my league. I like each of your suggestions. The only thing I have come up with so far is, 'Whoops' and 'Forces gather against you.'

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks Durk, but really I am only using ideas from Stronghold, Civ series, Total War series (before it went to shit) and some other classic games. I´ll try to put in some less agressive lines next.

wosung

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am

It's not so easy to do a brain storming about AI relationship modifiers w/o knowing the diplomatic model you gonna use.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend
We do (not) like your revolutionary/reactionary politics
You are a threat to the balance of power: Good/Bad!
You're meddling with XY dynastic matters: Good/Bad!
Your colonial ambitions are a threat to us/get our support
We (dis)like your stance on continantal blockade.

PJL
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

Max 86 wrote:Alliance Index: It would be nice to see where other allied nations are in regard to declaring war against France. Since Prussia, Austria, etc. go in and out of the alliance as Nappy spanks them, it would be helpful as England to know how close they are to jumping back in. This would allow a player, England for example, to coordinate an upcoming offensive if you know someone else is going to jump in soon.

Actually, I'd rather it was more vague. Adds a bit of diplomatic FOW to the whole thing. Certainly I'd like it less certain than it is with EAW right now.
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 am

PJL wrote:Actually, I'd rather it was more vague. Adds a bit of diplomatic FOW to the whole thing. Certainly I'd like it less certain than it is with EAW right now.

Some vagueness is often better in a wargame : when everything gets too efficiently reduced to optimizable numbers, the game turns into a mathematical exercice. You either need so many variables and numbers that optimization becomes too hard to achieve ( à la WITP ) or more hidden numbers so that the computer game keeps some of its mystery.

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Day-to-day diplomatic chat:

"The Batavian republic is satisfied with your conduct within our borders"
"We offer goods for trade and supplies to feed your armies, we only demand a fair payment"

"May your republic live forever Emperor, we wish to speak with you about our payments"
"This alliance between our great empires will strengthen us both, tell your king we agree"

"We are not interested in English goods here. be gone at once"
"Emperor we bring news from Russia, they agreed to our proposal"

romatrei
Private

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:33 pm

"You know your regiments are clearly no match for our army. Were I in your position, I would consider this offer with great care".

"Rest assured we will not forget your refusal to sign this treaty".

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”