vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

This game can be fixed, and deserves to be

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:02 pm

The purpose of this thread is not to condemn the game or complain about it. That has been done, on many previous threads The purpose of this thread is to ask that it be saved.

This game has so much potential. It recreates the color, feel, and world of the Napoleonic Wars as no game has ever come close to doing. I have had a magnificent experience in starting campaigns, and playing several months, until the problems with AI war declarations, poor building by the AI, and poorly composed AI forces start to appear. Much effort has gone into patching this game, and it has improved, but these major problems remain. Yet these major problems obscure the fact that most of the game works, and does so magnificently.

The main problems with this game have been discussed in detail on this forum.

After reviewing many posts and comments, I am convinced that it can be fixed. A two player dlc, which has been mentioned by the developers, with scripted forces and diplomacy for the AI, would solve just about all of the main issues and allow the full potential of this magnificent effort to be realized.

So much work and love and creativity has gone into this game. It would be a tragedy for it not to realize its potential.

I know that finding the time to do this is a difficult challenge, yet I contend this game deserves to be saved.

Pocus

Re: This game can be fixed, and deserves to be

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:26 pm

We would need a volunteer, a former betatester or a veteran player to impulse that, because this is all data driven (i.e there is no need for a developer) and our small team won't have the time to do this overhaul before long alas. CW2 and others games (AJE) had such people willing to bring some Ageod games to a higher level and WON has lacked one probably. We are not whole without you players and are not ashamed to acknowledge that, this is our strength and weakness.

sarge11
Conscript

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm

well I agree, this game should be fixed can we get some support on that????????????

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 pm

edit: actually been playing longer and the campaign actually seems fine, the decrees allow you to follow somewhat historical approach of Napoleon and the individual AI for each nation and diplomacy is rough at first but once you learn it you can see how it actually represents the Napoleonic era but it does hang by a thread but it gets the job done.

Wars of Napoleons is rough around the edges but in order to truly love it you have to play it past the 10 hour mark. The game now only takes 1-2 minutes to process turn time which is a huge improvement over the 5 minute wait time i used to endure. At first things may seem odd or bugged but when you pay close attention and carefully read events and observe and play the game it all actually comes together quite well.

I'll add some insight, at first I was under the impression the French was unbeatable in this game with it's powerful (I call them doomstacks) because of how big their divisions are. However, I learned through the sealion campaign battles and sieges will decimate many french corps within a few turns maybe 3-5 turns worth of hard fought battles and sieges. My Grand Army in Britain is really an army of 1 or 2 corps the rest were decimated. Likewise if the Austrian player is smart placing powerful armies in chokepoints and forcing french player to siege important cities (especially if you emplace a decent force in Venice or Ulm) you can decimate many division of France. 1805 depending on which campaign your playing the french player or AI will defeat UK army (sealion) and Austrian army (regular grand campaign) and take their capitols and force peace treaties but their corps will be decimated. 1807 french player or AI has to build new divisions really from my experience. I am currently trying to get to late game (like turn 50-100) so I can see what happens but i do wonder if AI austria or britain will declar war on me again.
Last edited by deidaraakatski on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:59 pm

I have said it already but I honestly think WON's future in the short term lies more in a mod for War of successions... the main issue in WON is that by making a very open ended game, with lots of AI components for the AI to manage, all the problems are there at the core of the game. It's hard to make it work by just trying to shut down many of the different optional circuits (try to make the AI passive on many routines, etc...).

With war of successions (WOS) built specifically as a 2 sides game, it would probably work better as a basis. What is then needed is to create the "Napoleonic scenario" on that engine using all the data already existing (leaders, troops, names, some events and their consequences, etc) and creating in the framework of WOS the other elements needed (the diplo ledgers for the different majors and big minors in the game so that in game action and events can make them neutral or go with one faction or the other (France or UK driven coalition)...

If WOS works well, is balanced and stable, than the template is there for a working Napoleonic scenario.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”