Jeune Grognard
Private

Terrible 1808 and Bavaria with satellites ; diplomacy and VP

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 am

:confused: Yes, a bit confused..... Two questions, may be silly, and I apologise for this

1) Playing as French, in 1808 the War against Spain has begun: ok, I've planned so. But: now I'm at war not only with Spain, Britain and Sardinia, but I've found myself at war with Italy, Netherlands, Berg, Switzerland, which had previously joined French Empire. If I try to make peace with them, I can not because they are satellites of Bavaria :bonk: , but Bavaria is still in French Empire and at peace with me. So, I've thrown Bavaria out French Empire and I've declared war to Bavaria. We will see. But according to me it's a bit strange (and frustrating....). Only Naples, Baden, Wurttemberg, Saxony remained loyal to me. May be I've made some mistakes , I've not understood something. A sort of rebellion? But why "satellites of Bavaria"?

2)Every 4 turns I lose 150-200 points for "diplomacy". I win battles and wars, but I see my score in VP is not so high... When I declared war against Bavaria, in "terrible"1808 this problem has disappeared. So: there is something wrong in scripts regarding Bavaria? Or something I've not understood? A possible solution: not to allow Bavaria to join French Empire and/or conquer München as soon as possible (before Austrians or Prussians)?

Thanks for your attention. This game is really super, but according to me there is something not clear in Diplomacy and VP, 1808 , and Bavaria which become a sort of "major Nation"....

Jeune Grognard

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Jeune Grognard wrote: :confused: Yes, a bit confused..... Two questions, may be silly, and I apologise for this

1) Playing as French, in 1808 the War against Spain has begun: ok, I've planned so. But: now I'm at war not only with Spain, Britain and Sardinia, but I've found myself at war with Italy, Netherlands, Berg, Switzerland, which had previously joined French Empire. If I try to make peace with them, I can not because they are satellites of Bavaria :bonk: , but Bavaria is still in French Empire and at peace with me. So, I've thrown Bavaria out French Empire and I've declared war to Bavaria. We will see. But according to me it's a bit strange (and frustrating....). Only Naples, Baden, Wurttemberg, Saxony remained loyal to me. May be I've made some mistakes , I've not understood something. A sort of rebellion? But why "satellites of Bavaria"?

2)Every 4 turns I lose 150-200 points for "diplomacy". I win battles and wars, but I see my score in VP is not so high... When I declared war against Bavaria, in "terrible"1808 this problem has disappeared. So: there is something wrong in scripts regarding Bavaria? Or something I've not understood? A possible solution: not to allow Bavaria to join French Empire and/or conquer München as soon as possible (before Austrians or Prussians)?

Thanks for your attention. This game is really super, but according to me there is something not clear in Diplomacy and VP, 1808 , and Bavaria which become a sort of "major Nation"....

Jeune Grognard

There really seems to be some problems for the engine in dealing with Alliance hierarchy, with minors being released and with CBs one can't act upon that keep popping up and costing VPs.

Right now I am in a game where Prussia has releasead the Duchy of Warsaw when signing a separate peace with Bavaria while at war with me : they had declared war to Bavaria and I had to act on the CB to defend Bavaria so Dowed Prussia but the engine still thought there were 2 separate wars going on. Here the engine should consider from the get go that Bavaria is "diplomatically" part of France and go through a check : If the engine makes Prussia want to dow Bavaria, it should have this logic : criteria are met for Prussia to want to dow Bavaria (ownership of provinces it wants, etc, whatever really) -> before dowing the engine checks that dowing Bavaria means dowing France -> The engine than checks if the criteria (ie enough hatred, etc) are met for Prussia to dow France -> if yes Prussia dows France, if not Prussia doesn't dow anyone.

The second point in this situation is that once I declare war on Prussia to defend Bavaria the 2 wars should be merged into one in the diplomatic engine where Prussia and it's allies are at war with France and its allies and the only possible peace is between the leaders of the 2 alliances : France an Prussia. Defection of minors should be dealt via events (such as the Saxony switches side event, assuming they work of course....).

In your situation it seems that at some point the engine "branched out" the alliance, making Bavaria the leader and not France, meaning that when something meant you being at war with a member of that alliance, you got thrown out, not the country you wound up at war with (ie Spain).

Finally on your second point I am suffering something similar in a way in my game. every few turns I have a CB against GB expiring and am losing 180vps or so, because I am not acting on it. This CB keeps popping up because "GB is at war with my ally", ie France ! It seems that for one routine of the diplo engine, the game forgets that I am France and already at war with th UK !

All in all the diplomatic engine is proving way too complicated for its own good. It should be massively toned down, and every time a minor becomes a member of an alliance its diplomatic engine and ID should be "switched off" so that it becomes merged with its dominating major (France most of the time) in diplomatic terms and only becomes unmerged via events which would be triggered by occupation for x length of time OR tutelary major morale below x for example. This dynamic model would pretty well emulate what happened in history, it would emulate Saxony dropping Prussia once Prussia is trashed (ie has very low morale) + Saxony is occupide. It would emulate Bavaria dropping France in 1813 when France has very low morale, etc...

coach3play4
Private

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Me too!. except my war in spain didnt happened until 1809 - because i delayed. then when the spain war triggered in (because of annex of papal states and defeating Portugal) suddenly kingdom of holland and italy were at war with me. same problem as writer above with different timing. around turn 173.

Jeune Grognard
Private

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Ok. So, I think this is really a bug. It's important according to me to report it to the developing team (Pocus). If you agree, the best section is to post in section "Help Improve Wars of Napoleon". I can do this. New to the Forum, is there anothes section to discuss about bugs?

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Jeune Grognard wrote:Ok. So, I think this is really a bug. It's important according to me to report it to the developing team (Pocus). If you agree, the best section is to post in section "Help Improve Wars of Napoleon". I can do this. New to the Forum, is there anothes section to discuss about bugs?

The main board is actually so far the main space of discussion, the improve WON part is more for new ideas to make the game better and for commenting on the patches.

Jeune Grognard
Private

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 pm

veji1 wrote:The main board is actually so far the main space of discussion, the improve WON part is more for new ideas to make the game better and for commenting on the patches.

Ah, Ok veji1. The most important thing is the staff has noted this problem. If you are in the developing team, very good. This problem is really annoying, because it affects the overall playability of the Campaign. I'm not sure, but I think this bug is present with the last two patches. Or I'm wrong?

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Jeune Grognard wrote:Ah, Ok veji1. The most important thing is the staff has noted this problem. If you are in the developing team, very good. This problem is really annoying, because it affects the overall playability of the Campaign. I'm not sure, but I think this bug is present with the last two patches. Or I'm wrong?

Sorry to disappoint but I am not in the developping team. This bug has been noted though, but whether it is easy to quash or not is another matter : the diplomatic engine in itself is a bit complicated and part of the issue. Reason why a barebones diplomatic engine like in TEAW, with a lot less dynamic variables would have been better suited and simpler to deal with.

coach3play4
Private

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:44 am

I'm hoping this problem with the Spanish trigger will have a simple fix. The other diplomacy problems with the minors can be worked around. But it is just not playable when the swiss dutch and all turn against you. Just fix that!

Pocus

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:36 am

CB won't pop up anymore against a country you are already at war with, in today's public beta patch.
No CB (against a specific country) should remains when you are in war with said country, this is done at a generic level in the diplomatic engine and I would be surprised there is a bug there. If there was, then many others bugs would be there too on treaties not deprecating automatically (like passage right when you DOW someone)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jeune Grognard
Private

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks Pocus for your work! We will see what will happen in Peninsular War , i'll let you know. Give me time to restart a new game with the new patch and arrive in 1808. But the problem of CB solved is really a great thing! This game is a masterwork, and improves time by time!

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:31 am

Don't apologize for anything, this is the single best forum on the internet. People always answer questions and developers consistently browse them.

It's always best to just ask your questions. All of us are happy to answer them.
TEAW Beta Team

Jeune Grognard
Private

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi all.

The problem of 1808 is here again! Till the war against Spain, all has gone very well: all scripts fired properly, no strange diplomacy VP losses. But when the War against Spain begins, France founds herself at war against Italy, Netherlands, Berg, Switzerland, all satellites of Bavaria which is integrated in French Empire, but not at war with France! Really a annoying mess! The Campaign becomes unplayable. Waiting for the solution...I think I'll play a 1805 Campaign as Prussia! :D

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 pm

If I understand correctly, Pocus is working on fixing any minor nations being able to create satellites. IIRC only France will be able to create them, other than possibly through an event.

Jeune Grognard
Private

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:If I understand correctly, Pocus is working on fixing any minor nations being able to create satellites. IIRC only France will be able to create them, other than possibly through an event.

Ok. I hope this will fix the sort of "rebellion" too. Why , even if not satellites of Bavaria, Italy, Netherlands etc. react declaring war on France, breaking their integration in French Empire, after the beginning of Peninsular War? Possible, yes, but not historical.

xaviersr
Conscript

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Following an old save with Feb 17 patch, and March 9 patch installed, Italia, Holland, Berg and Switzerland still declares war on France when invades Spain and became Bavaria satellites. King of Italy Napoleon declaring war to Napoleon Emperor of the French?

Pocus

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:18 am

Old saves are not good experiments when checking diplomacy behavior...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

xaviersr
Conscript

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 am

I will try a new game. Thanks Pocus.

Jeune Grognard
Private

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:22 pm

xaviersr wrote:I will try a new game. Thanks Pocus.

Me too. Thank you.

Pocus

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm

And thanks for your gaming support!

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”