HidekiTojo
Colonel

The Historical Campaign is completely broken

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:26 pm

This has been going on since at least right after release, I don't remember it being this bad in beta.

The French attacking Festung Metz despite losing TWO entire armies!!!!!!

This drove my morale as CP up to 146!!! Before November in 1914....

This needs to be fixed and it is a serious flaw. The only way to work around this atm is to start the full campaign, pick Schlieffen Plan for CP, the manipulate the save and load up as WE and then choose the Defensive warplan that puts Michel at the GHQ.

Picking the historical campaign (in the West) makes it more of a challenge avoiding a major victory than achieving it.

By November I am forced to start unlocking fort guns, and eventually enacting the change gvt. with 100% Alignment just so I can play the campaign for longer than six turns,

I have brought it up numerous times but I have yet to see anybody really look into it and figure out whats going on and how to fix it.

[ATTACH]32833[/ATTACH]

Please fix this I implore you!!! It is a major game breaking bug.
Attachments
2 - The Guns of August2.zip
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
TEAW Beta Team

Pocus

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 am

Weird as it seems, this is not a bug but a feature. The historical campaign starts with the historical French behavior, which is to launch a major offensive, that was a bloody failure historically.

Now, perhaps we should make the National morale different for the 2 sides knowing there will be a large change in it because of that, I don't know and must ask the historical versed people from the team.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 am

Behavior is indeed "normal" as far as designed by the original team...If the issue is the NM, a quick event can be made to solve the matter (e.g. to ignore the August losses for all sides for instance)

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Ok I think that would be a great idea, its not so much the losses, its the fact that I'm getting on average a NM spike of 40 within the first two months
TEAW Beta Team

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Is there a way that I can make such a mod? I am still working on my skills with the engine

As always thanks PhilThib and Pocus :wavey:

Apologies this crazy NM behavior has been driving me mad :bonk:
TEAW Beta Team

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 pm

who's browsing my thread?

:confused:

This was why I have been advocating for the 1915 start, of course that's pretty much a moot point thankfully
TEAW Beta Team

Kensai

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm

What I want to have, if possible, is alternate behaviors. I know the historical one is to assault Metz and get beaten, but perhaps there should only be 66% chance of that happening (two out of three). The other one, the AI, decides for something else, to surprise the player.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Pocus

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 am

How about some modding then? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

If I had even the vaguest idea absolutely, but so far my attempts to get rid of the massive morale swings have been an utter failure.

It's very frustrating... I want to give Germany a -20 NM for The Guns Of August scenario and the WE a bonus of +20

Keeping it as close as possible to 90.

I've been trying to make it work for days now
TEAW Beta Team

ETF
Captain

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:11 pm

What about MP games.....would these events wreck them?

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 am

The problem isn't the suicidal French attacks. Though the game would be more fun - and equally historical - if the French effort wasn't always, every single time, incessantly directed at Metz. The initial French attacks historically extended over a much broader area, and a bit of uncertainty would at least keep the CP player on his toes.

What is fundamentally historical, however, is the war-ending morale impact of the attacks. In the game as currently designed, it's sometimes easiest to win by doing nothing and letting the AI defeat itself. That's neither historical nor fun.

Return to “Help improve EAW”