ajarnlance
General of the Army

Ships taking 18 months to refit??

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:26 pm

What is going on when ships return to port and are held there for about 18 months??? Not just one ... but most of my battleships??? This seems pretty crazy to me...

[ATTACH]32531[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ship problems.png
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Ebbingford

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Normally it is when they receive a replacement element. It looks like your fleet is in passive posture, if that's the case then any empty slots will then get filled. They are then fixed until that element has been "built".
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

DrPostman

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:01 am

Yep, I had to learn the hard way NEVER to put my ships in passive posture in a port.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Caoster
Corporal

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:04 am

This is why I think capital ships should be reduced to one element units. Each ship is a unique unit and element, and division commanders ,if they ever implemented stacking for naval units, could have a full 8 ship division of capital ships.

Jinx
Captain

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 am

DrPostman wrote:Yep, I had to learn the hard way NEVER to put my ships in passive posture in a port.

Ditto, I got about half my french fleet locked for at least 18 months.

Caoster wrote:This is why I think capital ships should be reduced to one element units. Each ship is a unique unit and element, and division commanders ,if they ever implemented stacking for naval units, could have a full 8 ship division of capital ships.

An excellent idea!
"Mon centre céde, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j’attaque."
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:08 am

DrPostman wrote:Yep, I had to learn the hard way NEVER to put my ships in passive posture in a port.

If I change them from passive to another posture will this free them up? or are they now useless for 540 days? The annoying thing is that the hits don't show up when at sea... so you think everything is OK.. then you get to port and its goodbye fleet.. ageod seems to love springing nasty surprises on players.. definitely needs fixing. Just like the ammo trains which always show full green on the unit card even when totally depleted...
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Jinx
Captain

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 am

ajarnlance wrote:Just like the ammo trains which always show full green on the unit card even when totally depleted...

Lance, I'm positive they fixed that in the last patch! Has your version...reverted or is the game still faulty in that regard?
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 am

Jinx wrote:Lance, I'm positive they fixed that in the last patch! Has your version...reverted or is the game still faulty in that regard?

I'm playing with the 1.01 version but I think there are different 1.01 versions depending on how you downloaded it. I'm not able to do the 'check for updates' since I made the mistake of adding my game to Steam. Steam won't auto update for me, so i had to get the new patch from the ageod website...

Jinx
Captain

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm

ajarnlance wrote:I'm playing with the 1.01 version but I think there are different 1.01 versions depending on how you downloaded it. I'm not able to do the 'check for updates' since I made the mistake of adding my game to Steam. Steam won't auto update for me, so i had to get the new patch from the ageod website...

Ah, I see I see.

Jim-NC

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:42 pm

ajarnlance wrote:If I change them from passive to another posture will this free them up? or are they now useless for 540 days? The annoying thing is that the hits don't show up when at sea... so you think everything is OK.. then you get to port and its goodbye fleet.. ageod seems to love springing nasty surprises on players.. definitely needs fixing. Just like the ammo trains which always show full green on the unit card even when totally depleted...

I am afraid they are stuck for 540 days. Changing stance won't do anything, as the ships are already under construction.

To get around this, I combine my ships into bigger divisions. For example, at the start of the game, if you have two battleship divisions at 2 ships each, you can combine them into one division of 4 ships, which won't need new ships. It's a lot of management at the beginning, but that way you can have ships rest in passive.

The other option is to not have any replacements for that particular ship type. If no battleship replacements, no battleship under construction, but also no repair of damage ships.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I am afraid they are stuck for 540 days. Changing stance won't do anything, as the ships are already under construction.

To get around this, I combine my ships into bigger divisions. For example, at the start of the game, if you have two battleship divisions at 2 ships each, you can combine them into one division of 4 ships, which won't need new ships. It's a lot of management at the beginning, but that way you can have ships rest in passive.

The other option is to not have any replacements for that particular ship type. If no battleship replacements, no battleship under construction, but also no repair of damage ships.

Thanks. Those are good tips. I didn't know we could combine divisions like that.

elxaime
General

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:55 am

ajarnlance wrote:...ageod seems to love springing nasty surprises on players...

That's their charm!

Merlin
General

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 am

One thing not already added here. If you refit a naval unit inside a port with a shipyard, it'll take less time to repair/rebuild than elsewhere.

greycat
Private

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Repairs to damaged ships are actually way too fast, at least for the larger vessels. Seydlitz was out of action for about 12 weeks after Jutland; in the game it can be repaired in 2 weeks. New capital ships (ie replacement elements) took about 2-3 years to complete under wartime conditions. I agree, the solution would be single element units for the larger ships; maybe they could also have variable repair times depending upon the number of hits lost.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:24 am

I dont see how that can be possible. Theres no way that a squadron of civilian transporta would have taken almost a year to repair. It may not be the same war but in WW2 the American drydocks were cranking out liberty ships in 5 days! From scratch! These were merely transports. I can understand the capital ships taking that long, but not transports by any means.

Ship repair would have been a top priority for the Allies and I cannot imagine what Churchill would have said if his engineers said "well I know these commandeered civilian liners are a bit dinged up, but we can get them back in action taking troops overseas in no time! If you come back a year from today they'll look brand new!"
TEAW Beta Team

Return to “Help improve EAW”