ajarnlance
General of the Army

Possible military control bug...

Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 pm

The BEF just invaded Cattaro in my PBEM. On the first turn they win a battle against my Austrian force which has also just arrived in the same turn to defend the region. Here is the battle result:

[ATTACH]32334[/ATTACH]

As you can see the BEF won a victory. However, the following turn shows that they haven't gained any military control. This places the BEF in a very difficult position since their forces will auto go into attack posture next this turn as they don't have the required 5% MC to go defensive. Seems like a strange result to me... and this isn't the first time I have witnessed this. Earlier in the game my assault on Brest Litovsk resulted in a series of three engagements. I won 2 and lost 1. The next turn... I had gained zero military control... does this seem logical?

The BEF are on the beaches below. They have attacked and won a victory but the Austrians still have 100% military control.

[ATTACH]32335[/ATTACH]
Attachments
B CATTARO MC.png
B CATTARO D12.png
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

PJL
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Definitely looks like a bug to me. The manual states

'If both sides have troops present in a region, neither may increase
Military Control until one side assumes an Offensive Posture
in an attempt to increase control of the region. If the attacker
is successful, the beaten defender will lose a portion of Military
Control and either retreat locally, in which case it will stay in the
region, or retreat to an adjacent region if soundly defeated.'

Can't see any reason why MC should not be at least 5% for the BEF. Only thing I can think of is that the game declares a victory in the battle screen, but actually records a defeat in the actual game itself, and adjusts MC (or not) according to the rules. Either way it's a bug.
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:29 pm

PJL wrote:Definitely looks like a bug to me. The manual states

'If both sides have troops present in a region, neither may increase
Military Control until one side assumes an Offensive Posture
in an attempt to increase control of the region. If the attacker
is successful, the beaten defender will lose a portion of Military
Control and either retreat locally, in which case it will stay in the
region, or retreat to an adjacent region if soundly defeated.'

Can't see any reason why MC should not be at least 5% for the BEF. Only thing I can think of is that the game declares a victory in the battle screen, but actually records a defeat in the actual game itself, and adjusts MC (or not) according to the rules. Either way it's a bug.

Definitely a bug. The screen shows a victory so the BEF should have atleast 5% military control... probably more. even if the battle was a defeat for the BEF it seems logical that the defeated side should either have disappeared into the adriatic sea OR gained at least a minimum of military control.. ie somewhere to stand their ground. how can a large force remain in the same region as the enemy with zero MC? OK I have seen stealthy units like cavalry raiders manage to do this when on passive posture but that is clearly not the case here.
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

ajarnlance
General of the Army

NEXT TURN... STILL NO MILITARY CONTROL FOR THE BEF..s

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm

We move on to the next turn ... the BEF win two more victories on the beaches of Cattaro as shown below...

[ATTACH]32336[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32337[/ATTACH]

HOWEVER... the military control for the BEF remains at 0%... as seen below..

[ATTACH]32338[/ATTACH]

this must be a bug and it needs patching...
Attachments
EJ BF CATTARO.png
B CATT D2.png
B CATT D1.png

Jinx
Captain

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:05 pm

After you sent the turn in, I reloaded the last turn's HST file and my previous turn's orders, I processed that game from the WE perspective giving the CP and the EE to the AI, about 5 times. Each time we had a victory in Cattaro, kicked your army out, and gained about 80-95% MC.

If its a bug, it has to do with the PBEM side of things.
"Mon centre céde, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j’attaque."
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

PJL
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Jinx wrote:After you sent the turn in, I reloaded the last turn's HST file and my previous turn's orders, I processed that game from the WE perspective giving the CP and the EE to the AI, about 5 times. Each time we had a victory in Cattaro, kicked your army out, and gained about 80-95% MC.

Or the fact that the Austrian army was kicked out. But even so, the BEF should still be able to get at least some MC, even without kicking the Austrians out. This is also the first time I've seen an amphibious landing on enemy territory in the new patch as well, perhaps something got tweaked in that, which could be affecting it?
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Jinx wrote:After you sent the turn in, I reloaded the last turn's HST file and my previous turn's orders, I processed that game from the WE perspective giving the CP and the EE to the AI, about 5 times. Each time we had a victory in Cattaro, kicked your army out, and gained about 80-95% MC.

It's definitely a bug with the PBEM version for some reason. I also tried rerunning the turn by handing over the WE and EE to the AI... my Austrian army got pushed out of the region and the BEF got 90% MC... which confirms your own findings. When you run the game in PBEM mode the BEF just sits there winning battles and gaining nothing.... The same thing happened to me when I attacked Brest Litovsk a few turns ago. I won 2 out of three engagements that turn... both my armies remained in the BL region but with ZERO military control. I had to abandon my assault. The question is... what do we do now about the BEF?

Jinx
Captain

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm

ajarnlance wrote:It's definitely a bug with the PBEM version for some reason. I also tried rerunning the turn by handing over the WE and EE to the AI... my Austrian army got pushed out of the region and the BEF got 90% MC... which confirms your own findings. When you run the game in PBEM mode the BEF just sits there winning battles and gaining nothing.... The same thing happened to me when I attacked Brest Litovsk a few turns ago. I won 2 out of three engagements that turn... both my armies remained in the BL region but with ZERO military control. I had to abandon my assault. The question is... what do we do now about the BEF?

Well, shoot. I dunno. Nothing much we can do anymore.

I suppose the war must go on. I'll go ahead and plan my next turn.

Thanks for trying.
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

marek1978
Colonel

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Jinx wrote:Well, shoot. I dunno. Nothing much we can do anymore.

I suppose the war must go on. I'll go ahead and plan my next turn.

Thanks for trying.

If it is a bug you guys should Make Kind of house rule - or exception and agree that Austrian army will whitdraw leaving BEF in control of Cattaro.
3 won Battles should be enough
At least for unopposed evacuetion...

Altaris

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Can you post the saves for Pocus and me to review?

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:25 pm

marek1978 wrote:If it is a bug you guys should Make Kind of house rule - or exception and agree that Austrian army will whitdraw leaving BEF in control of Cattaro.
3 won Battles should be enough
At least for unopposed evacuetion...

That is exactly what I have proposed.. I withdraw .. the BEF evacuate.. still waiting on an answer...

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Save game files last 2 turns..

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:29 pm

altaris wrote:can you post the saves for pocus and me to review?

this turn:

[attach]32362[/attach][attach]32363[/attach][attach]32364[/attach][attach]32365[/attach]
Attachments
Replay_ENT.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
Replay_EN1.zip
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Replay_CEN.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
Lance-Joseph-Paul-PBEM.zip
(394.91 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:31 pm

ajarnlance wrote:this turn:

[attach]32362[/attach][attach]32363[/attach][attach]32364[/attach][attach]32365[/attach]

previous turn:

[ATTACH]32366[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32367[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32368[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32369[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32370[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Replay_CEN.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
Lance-Joseph-Paul-PBEM~ENT.zip
(111.26 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Lance-Joseph-Paul-PBEM~EN1.zip
(64.17 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Lance-Joseph-Paul-PBEM~CEN.zip
(132.71 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Lance-Joseph-Paul-PBEM.zip
(382.68 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Jinx
Captain

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:36 pm

ajarnlance wrote:That is exactly what I have proposed.. I withdraw .. the BEF evacuate.. still waiting on an answer...

Sorry for the wait. I wanted to explain to you my reasoning via email. Just sent it two minutes ago.

Putzibram
Civilian

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 am

I have encountered exactly the same problem in an AI game when invading Cameroun. Thus if this is a bug then it has definitely nothing to do with PBEM. My best guess is that you only win MC if you push the enemy army out of the region. I don't know if this is WAD but if it is the manual should be changed accordingly.

Return to “Help improve EAW”