agv
Private

ammo for MA and HA

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 am

I think the ammo for MA and HA should be automatized somehow. Taking depleted ammo units back to a town or depot to refill is unnecessary. MA and HA could use the ammo the same way infantry and the other units do. To compensate for this easier management the artillery units could be more expensive to buy in terms of money, supplies etc...

Or at least, the player should have the option of activating or deactivating the option in the start menu of the game. Something like "Artillery ammo": ammo units vs. automatized (like the element replacement pool, which you can leave to the AI if you want to).

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 pm

agv wrote:I think the ammo for MA and HA should be automatized somehow. Taking depleted ammo units back to a town or depot to refill is unnecessary. MA and HA could use the ammo the same way infantry and the other units do. To compensate for this easier management the artillery units could be more expensive to buy in terms of money, supplies etc...

Or at least, the player should have the option of activating or deactivating the option in the start menu of the game. Something like "Artillery ammo": ammo units vs. automatized (like the element replacement pool, which you can leave to the AI if you want to).

+1. Seems like unnecessary micromanagement to me...
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Merlin
General

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Build more munitions plants. The reason you don't have much ammo in any single place (and why MUN don't draw much outside depots) is because there isn't much in the system to begin with. If you have 10 MUN, 20 depots, and 50 towns or cities, it gets diluted pretty quickly when you have 500 ammo. You want ammo in the multiple thousands, because when it drops somewhere the push/pull of the supply mechanics start to stockpile it closer to the front and MUN units refill much more quickly. High ammo production = front line supply.

agv
Private

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

ok, I´ll try that and we´ll see

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 am

Merlin wrote:Build more munitions plants. The reason you don't have much ammo in any single place (and why MUN don't draw much outside depots) is because there isn't much in the system to begin with. If you have 10 MUN, 20 depots, and 50 towns or cities, it gets diluted pretty quickly when you have 500 ammo. You want ammo in the multiple thousands, because when it drops somewhere the push/pull of the supply mechanics start to stockpile it closer to the front and MUN units refill much more quickly. High ammo production = front line supply.

Good point.. I hadn't thought of that.. now there is a reason for spending all those resources on munitions plants. :)
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Merlin
General

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 am

I usually buy 8-12 and that results in an ammo surplus by 1916. Of course that doesn't account for previous firing.

agv
Private

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:14 pm

I´m in late january 1915. I bought 5 munition plants during 1914 and I have ammo in thousands. All units with full ammo so far!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 pm

agv wrote:I´m in late january 1915. I bought 5 munition plants during 1914 and I have ammo in thousands. All units with full ammo so far!

I'm also in late Jan 1915 and I haven't bought any munitions plants yet... my ammo levels continue to increase every turn...

Merlin
General

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 am

All majors have ammo factories already on map. The boost to production just helps speed things along and only really becomes necessary around 1916 when there are tons of guns in action.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 am

Merlin wrote:All majors have ammo factories already on map. The boost to production just helps speed things along and only really becomes necessary around 1916 when there are tons of guns in action.

I've never played the Entente side but from my knowledge of history the British had to retool and drastically increase ammo production to keep up... and this occurred early in the war... Lloyd George was put in charge of shell production.. until he was elected PM. The Russians were behind the other major European powers from the start.. seems like they never had enough war material. Hopefully these differences are reflected in the game.

Merlin
General

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:26 am

They are. Germany's at start production is the highest of the majors, Russia the lowest, excepting the Ottos.

Return to “Help improve EAW”