Carchathoth
Civilian

EAW - Rookie game V1.01RC9

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:59 am

[ATTACH]32109[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32110[/ATTACH]EAW - Rookie game V1.01RC9

Howdy.

I had my first game with Full campaign game. There is something really wrong here. I mean, I am a noob
here and not very good at this game. I choosed Moltke plan with Germany and Historical plan with Austria.

At western front I just defended and in the east, I attacked with Germans. Defended with Austrians
against Russia and attacked against Serbia. It's 1914 late october and the game was in its early stages.
However I already won major victory...

Some observations:
Western front: French keeped attacking Metz like crazy. And lost everytime. After few fights Metz had:
- 5 French recon plane units
- 5 Artillery units + 1 medium artillery
- 3 French doctor/hospitals
- 5 French munitions
- 9 Supply wagon

All these things after few fights turned sides under my command???? I mean what is this? Easier to
get these things from French than produce them by myself?

Fleet fights: I stacked almost every German ship in one stack and moved it to channel. Like 7 fights
followed. Germany lost them all, but managed to lose only 9 ships. The most intresting part was, that
I managed to destroy like almost 70 Entente ships. 1st battle I lost, I didint lose any ships, only 102
men. Entente lost 24 ships and a lot of mens. Still the game told me that I LOST the battle. I dont
understand logic here.

Eastern Front: Russians had warplan to attack Austria and so they did... AI didin't care much, that I took
Warzov, Vilna and other key points up there. All AI did, was attack against Austria. And boy, did Central
power armies destroy Russians? They were dying like insects...

AI is basically nothing, but a weak scripted thing, that attacks victory locations without any thought.
Defending those points with sufficient force and killfest will begin. Where is strategy here? Like I sayd
earlier, I didin't quite understand Naval AI behavior either. How can I lose the fight with almost zero
casualties, while enemy loses 24 ships?

Captured stuff must be bugging here. There is no sense to get so large amount of fully operational
units from enemy so easily. I mean imagine French recon plane armadas to land at Metz and surrender,
and offer planes, ammo and mens for Germany just like that? :) Nor did I understand how can I win
whole World War I at late oct. 1914 already?

I understand, that I played with 1.01RC9, which is basically beta version. But if I am not wrong, that
release candidate just got approved to official patch recently? Is this all supposed to happen?
Attachments
To End all Wars - victory at 1914 part 2.jpg
To End all Wars - victory at 1914.jpg

DrPostman

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:37 am

What difficulty level did you play at? I played at lieutenant level and found the game challenging.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 am

It would be good to know which settings you used since these can affect AI behaviour dramatically. I admit the naval battle results are very puzzling. I usually play it safe with my navies because of the huge NM losses from having my ships sunk! Try harder difficulty settings. In particular give the AI a small detection bonus (too high and it will be too rash), a high activation bonus, and penalise yourself and not the AI by choosing historical attrition. Choose normal aggression for the AI. Choose easy supply OFF. Last of all, play on 'lieutenant' or even 'colonel' difficulty level. These should produce a more challenging game! When you are more experienced try a PBEM game with human opponents... this is where the game really shines!
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Altaris

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Yes, this all sounds very odd. Did you by any chance have a giant single stack moving around the map, wiping out everything in its path?

Ace

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:35 pm

The most important thing, where you playing with 1.00 patch. It had a naval bug that caused fleets in defensive posture to fight with severe penalty. And AI was scripted to always attack Metz. That's changed in 1.01.

Jim-NC

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums Carchathoth. :wavey:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bjmorgan
Corporal

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:11 pm

I have the exact same problem. EVERY game ends in October or November, with the same pattern of unit captures as above. I've tried both sergeant and lieutenant. I always play as central powers. There IS something wrong here.

And I'm playing with 1.01.09 beta, or whatever it's called.

Altaris

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:38 am

Provide saves please.

agv
Private

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:14 pm

In my game too, the French attack Metz like crazy, even when outnumbered 4 to 1! I´ll try the changes suggested above in this thread to get a more challenging or at least logical AI...

Hungry Joe
Conscript

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Have the same thing with the French obsession with Metz. This is playing as CP with game started with version 1.01, historical campaign. My NM is 147 by early November with a lot of that due to futile French attacks on Metz, so with the NM win threshold at 150 it'll probably be a short game ;)

Carchathoth
Civilian

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Looks like this game is released in beta mode. There is next to none AI in this game. There are warplans, and few scripted maneuvers writed to each of them. Then some random behavior added.

I like this game. There are a lot of good in this, but unfortunately I can't prefer this game to anyone until AI gets overhaul. In this phase, you can use AI only to learn basic gameplay. However, AI doesn't offer any real threat for you. Scripted targets makes AI to bang its head against wall and after a while it is way too easy to beat. It just takes all enjoyment out of this. The game can't offer the feel and style World War 1 needs. It was mostly slow progress against fortified enemies. This games offers you scripted "mini blitz" everywhere. Such system and this engine works quite well in American Civil War and other such things, not in WW1+ era. Not without decent AI.

So until a major AI fix, this game unfortunately goes to a backup drive...

Carchathoth
Civilian

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Almost a month since release and reported problems. Nothing has happened...Doesn't look good for customer perspective. I understand,
that it has been holiday season. But still they should atleast comment something.

Currently the game is UNPLAYABLE.

Jim-NC

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Altaris asked for saved games with the problems you were describing, did you provide them to him?
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:16 pm

I've been saying this as well, happens to me everytime that you do the historical campaign
TEAW Beta Team

Return to “Help improve EAW”