ajarnlance
General of the Army

Strange retreat path...

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:29 pm

[ATTACH]32049[/ATTACH]

The Russian Army attacks Krakau and so I retreat into the next region back- 'Beskid'. The next turn the Russians come again and win another battle against me. However, instead of retreating away from the enemy (Bielitz, Kublin or Miklos all look like good choices) my two corps retreat back to Krakau where a besieging Russian Army is waiting!! Why would my corps choose to retreat into enemy held territory (95% Russian MC) when there were three other empty regions where I have 100% MC!! Now I have to try and get my two corps with 250 combat power away from a Russian force of 707 combat power. My Austrian force looks like a ping pong ball here...
Attachments
Strange retreat!.png
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

guernico
Conscript

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:56 pm

So, no need for general Broussilov to launch his Summer Offensive...mad Austrians head towards a deadly and self-choosed fate !!

Mother Russia will be the strongest !!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:27 pm

guernico wrote:So, no need for general Broussilov to launch his Summer Offensive...mad Austrians head towards a deadly and self-choosed fate !!

Mother Russia will be the strongest !!

Yeh, suicidal Austrian corps... the Japanese kamikazes have got nothing on these Austrian suicide divisions... 'into the valley of death rode the 600..' and that was against the Russians too! :)
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Seriously though the behaviour I witnessed above is against what it says in the manual. The rule book says:
'If the attempt succeeds, the Stack withdraws.
If there is a non-besieged structure in the region and the Stack
has the “Enter Structure” Special Order, it will withdraw into the
structure; otherwise it will withdraw to an adjacent region under
friendly Military Control
.'

BUT this didn't happen in my example above. My units withdrew into a region with a besieged structure (the besieging force had been there from the previous turn). Even though there was a choice of THREE regions with 100% friendly military control. Looks like this needs patching. Hopefully some one from the design team will comment...

Pocus

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:24 am

Which version? The code on retreat has been seriously upgraded since 1.00.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:35 am

Pocus wrote:Which version? The code on retreat has been seriously upgraded since 1.00.

This is patched to the latest version: 1.01 RC9. I have uploaded the game files on a separate thread on the tech help forum. The Austrian Army retreats to the most dangerous region where a large Russian Army is besieging Krakau. I understand that a withdrawing unit will prioritise a retreat path to a friendly city BUT shouldn't it take into account the presence of a large enemy army besieging that city... not to mention only 5% military control in that region vs. three other regions with 100% friendly military control. Thanks for your help with this... :) it really is important as my two corps will now most likely be seriously damaged. Here are the game files: [ATTACH]32078[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32077[/ATTACH]

NOTE: this is a PBEM game.
Attachments
Replay_CEN.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
EAW-J-L-S.zip
(347.88 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Pocus

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Yes both parameters you speak about should be taken into consideration.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Pocus wrote:Yes both parameters you speak about should be taken into consideration.

I know you guys have to listen to a lot of criticism... just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your games. They are beautifully designed... EAW is the best yet and so much fun to play PBEM!! Thanks again and keep up the wonderful work you are doing... AGEOD are my favourite war game creators. :)

Pocus

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks, this is always appreciated! Nice reminder :)

The Guru
Private

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:46 am

Needless to say, my modest input on this forum is just a demonstration of how much I appreciate your work and your willingness to listen to the players' comments.

guernico
Conscript

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Ajarnlance, the spirit of Robert E. Lee lies within you...i hope for you a brilliant victory in the manner of this noble and inspiring leader, think of Battle of Cold Harbor (31 may - 3 june 1864), won by Lee whereas US Troops were increasingly higher.

Long live Northern Virginia Army !

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:40 pm

guernico wrote:Ajarnlance, the spirit of Robert E. Lee lies within you...i hope for you a brilliant victory in the manner of this noble and inspiring leader, think of Battle of Cold Harbor (31 may - 3 june 1864), won by Lee whereas US Troops were increasingly higher.

Long live Northern Virginia Army !

If RE Lee were in charge of those Austrian troops I'd feel a lot better! ;) I think Lee would have been frustrated by the trench warfare in WWI, but his spirit does live on... !! :)

guernico
Conscript

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Sure, spirit of offensive never dies ! But don't forget Lee was an enginneer officer...he also mastered the Art of trenches ;)

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 pm

guernico wrote:Sure, spirit of offensive never dies ! But don't forget Lee was an enginneer officer...he also mastered the Art of trenches ;)

That's true... in fact the trench system he devised to protect Richmond was a foretaste of what would come in WWI. I'm sure he'd rather have been trying to out maneuver Grant though... in the end he just ran out of space!

Return to “Help improve EAW”