GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Unlock Fort Guns = exploit?

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 am

I suggest that the costs for this feature are reconsidered as it is an exploit right now. Right now it feels like a "1 free heavy artillery every turn" option.

In my first Russian game I dismantled a fort battery every turn until I had 10 or so and did not know what to do with them, I am sure the Austrians and Germans don't have that many together, on both fronts. In fact the only limiting factor is the number of forts, Russia has ca 20 I think.

Right now the event costs: 1 EP, 1 NM, 200 victory points. None of this really matters. The EP do not hurt, VP is uninteresting imo, and -1 NM easily balances out with a single won battle. The new battery is available instantaneously in the next turn at practically no cost.

Now, had I built 10 heavy batteries via the recruitment mode the total cost would habe been money: 1300, conscripts: 80, war material: 2500 and 60 days each. In the special case of Russia this would be their entire war material budget of 3 years! The conlusion must be that every Russia player absolutely must use the Unlock Fort Guns every turn until all his 20 or so forts are used up.

What I suggest is rethinking the cost, logical would be (to me):

NM: no loss (why would this be detrimental to morale? It could as well argued that it increases morale if the army gets heavy artillery). Leave this at zero
EP whatever
VP whatever
WM there should be a cost in WM, for example ca 1/3 of the normal cost, 75WM, to mobilize the guns (unless you just want them torn from their socket and put on a oxcart)
Money like WM, the event should not come for free and cost a certain fraction of the normal guns
Time not sure, it's ok that the unit is available rather quickly

By the way, does the AI make use of this event? The only way to balance it would be the AI using it (roughly) as many times as the player does.

Shri

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 am

See- Loss of NM is due to this fact--

Pre-War except the Prussians who had discarded fortifications since the days of the Sr.Moltke (build Railways not Forts- dictum) all others built great forts like- Port Arthur (Russo-Japanese War) or Liege etc, hell- even in WW2 France/Belgium had Fortress doctrine (Maginot/Eben-Emael) and even the Russians - STALIN LINE etc.
They never understood the real usage of Forts was a PIVOT in the line, i.e. Fort would hold a large enemy army in one place while another army would tactically envelop the attacking enemy army. Hence; Loss of NM signifies- FEAR in the local POPULACE and also part of the General Staff.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm fine with -1 NM, I still think it is too cheap. In all Ageod games I usually accept everything that costs morale, it usually is a good deal.

That so to say, the way it is now every player will eventually learn that unlock guns is the cheapest way to pump out heavy artillery, and take down the guns from all his forts. Especially when he plays Russia. I dont think that was the way it was intended.

caranorn

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:22 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:I'm fine with -1 NM, I still think it is too cheap. In all Ageod games I usually accept everything that costs morale, it usually is a good deal.

That so to say, the way it is now every player will eventually learn that unlock guns is the cheapest way to pump out heavy artillery, and take down the guns from all his forts. Especially when he plays Russia. I dont think that was the way it was intended.

But where is the problem? I think this was commonly done (at least in France, the UK and Germany). I expect it would be reasonable to up the cost a bit (carriages for the guns, caissons etc.), but otherwise it should be used...

One note, we have a bit of a disparity of guns in a fortress and guns in field elements. F.ex. Belfort (and Belfort alone, not neighbouring fortified positions) had the following armament in August 1914 (part was later dismantled to form siege, heavy and field batteries):

3x mortiers de 320
4x mortiers de 270
15x mortiers de 220
52x canons de 155
28x mortiers de 150
61x canons de 120L
45x canons de 120C
78x canons de 80/90 de campagne
34x canons de 75
71x canons revolver
76x HMG

That's a lot of guns even if you discount obsolete pieces like the 120c and 80/90's as well as the revolvers...

P.S.: That was a count fort by fort, so could have a few guns too many or too few...
Marc aka Caran...

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:25 am

If I can get 10-20 heavy gun batteries practically for free, why should I build them at all?

Return to “Help improve EAW”