John Sedgwick
Colonel

Missing Leader Portraits

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:03 am

Let's get this show on the road, shall we?

I'd like to add some leader portraits, but I can't figure out how to get them to appear in the game. I trust it's not too difficult?

Also, is there a blank template for the portrait background (the largest ones)?

Here's an appetizer; Sir Edwin A. H. Alderson: [ATTACH]31144[/ATTACH]

Feel free to pitch in with portraits or usable photographs!
Attachments
Unit_CAN_Alderson.png
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Leibst

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 am

Good point John!
In fact its easy to add a portrait, you just have to see in the Models folder Sir Edwin file and into it look the .png file name and then put the respective file into the graphics folders.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Ganbatte
Sergeant

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 am

If you would like to change a portrait,
is to replace only the png?

Regards

Michael

PhilThib

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 am

Great work, please feel free to do more of them.
If you are interested, the artist gave me a "workflow" on how he processed the portraits, PM me and I shall email it to you.

By the way, he did some Russian generals recently, we shall have them soon in the next official patch. List is: Bulgagov, Dragomirov, Evert, Irman, Klembovskiy, Mrozovsky, Novosilstov, Radkevich, Saharov, Sherbachev, Shkinsky, Sievers and Vojshin (thanks to the Russian player who gave us the portraits)

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've changed the portrait field from Unit_CAN_HQ2/HQ3 to Unit_CAN_Alderson.png in both of Edwin's .mdl files, but he's still not showing up in the game. What am I missing?
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:19 pm

PhilThib wrote:Great work, please feel free to do more of them.
If you are interested, the artist gave me a "workflow" on how he processed the portraits, PM me and I shall email it to you.

By the way, he did some Russian generals recently, we shall have them soon in the next official patch. List is: Bulgagov, Dragomirov, Evert, Irman, Klembovskiy, Mrozovsky, Novosilstov, Radkevich, Saharov, Sherbachev, Shkinsky, Sievers and Vojshin (thanks to the Russian player who gave us the portraits)

Great, the Russian side felt a bit unfinished.

Leibst

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:03 am

John Sedgwick wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I've changed the portrait field from Unit_CAN_HQ2/HQ3 to Unit_CAN_Alderson.png in both of Edwin's .mdl files, but he's still not showing up in the game. What am I missing?

Maybe you should delete the cached files to get the changes. Look on the data folder on units and models folder. Each time you change anything on the models you must delete the cached files before run the game.
But if the change is important like adding a new unit or model it can impact to the scenarios in a bad way.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

PhilThib

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 am

Leibstandarte wrote:Maybe you should delete the cached files to get the changes. Look on the data folder on units and models folder. Each time you change anything on the models you must delete the cached files before run the game.
But if the change is important like adding a new unit or model it can impact to the scenarios in a bad way.

That's it ;)

Ganbatte
Sergeant

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:12 am

Need to replace the Leader Portraits, you must be 3 Portraits replaced.
1.EAW / Graphics/ Units / Leader Units / (Portrait from the StackPanel) 104x126
2.EAW / Graphics/ Portraits / Leaders Portraits (StackPanel Overview Picture) 170 x 280
3. EAW / Graphics / Armies & Fleets / Leaders Armies (Map Game Stack Picture) 36 x 48

I hope it helps.

Best regards

Michael

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Yep, cache needed to be deleted. Thanks guys!

Once I've finished the Canadians, I'll probably move on to the Russians - are there any more in the works on that side?

Ganbatte
Sergeant

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 pm

How to improve all the names?

e.g. Ernest Augustus II in Ernst August II

Regards

Michael

Tac Error
Conscript

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Russian general Mikhail Alekseyev has Yegeny Alekseyev's (viceroy of the Far East during the RJW) portrait. Here's a few photos of the right guy I nabbed from Google:

[ATTACH]31210[/ATTACH][ATTACH]31209[/ATTACH]
Attachments
02.JPG
01.JPG

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 am

Thanks for the pics, Tac! The first one should do nicely, I think.

Ganbatte: I've wondered the same thing, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I noticed Dankl and Auffenberg have their respective "von Krasnik" and "von Komarow" monikers, which were only bestowed during the war for their victories at those places.

Ganbatte
Sergeant

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 am

John Sedgwick wrote:Thanks for the pics, Tac! The first one should do nicely, I think.

Ganbatte: I've wondered the same thing, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I noticed Dankl and Auffenberg have their respective "von Krasnik" and "von Komarow" monikers, which were only bestowed during the war for their victories at those places.

Hi John,

I am also penetrated deeper into the matter.
I have found that do not match some names.

Ernst August II was the last Crown Prince of Hanover.
The name in the game is here Ernest Augustus II.
The images change is fun, but to correct the name is also important.
I have found some place where they appear, but it seems to be more.

How it looks with the portraits?

Changing them in a battle summary?
If I delete the unit cache, I will be had an crash after game start.

Regards

Michael

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi Ganbatte,

The portraits look good in game, they show up in the battle summary now and everywhere else.
You only need to delete the Models.Cached file in EAW/GameData/Models, shouldn't crash the game, dunno about older saves though.

Haven't had much time to work on them so it's slow going, but here's another teaser:
[ATTACH]31325[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mdl_CAN_Otter.png

PANGI

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 am

wow great. looks like the original style. i thought they are hand made (according to photographs) or there is some process to make this from photo?
ImageImage

PANGI

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 am

i also found some picture misplacement. i think german general karl von bulow has picture of chancellor bernhard von bulow
ImageImage

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:46 am

PANGI wrote:wow great. looks like the original style. i thought they are hand made (according to photographs) or there is some process to make this from photo?

They are hand made from existing photographs, yes. I'm using the artist's workflow that PhilThib mentioned above - if you'd like to pitch in, you can PM Phil and I expect he'd share it with you, too. Fairly simple process, mostly involves a bit of smudging to reduce photo noise and some light and dark touches to bring out the features.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:34 am

I almost forgot about these... I never got very far with this project, and with a new job and a newborn baby, don't know if and when I ever will. Anyway, here are the portraits I did finish, along with a blank template.
Attachments
EAWCdnPortraits.zip
(474.97 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Return to “Help improve EAW”