phoenix
Captain

Appalling lag. Is there a cure?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Bought the game and DLC on steam (in the summer sale), and was very keen to get to know the system and get started. But the lag is appalling. I mean so serious it's astonishing. Impossible to play it. Response time as long as seven seconds between a mouse click and effect. I searched this forum and could find surprisingly few complaints. I have a good system, fast enough to run graphicaly intense games no problem. Fast processor. Win 10.

Is there a cure for this that anyone can point me to? Or is it being dealt with by the devs? I returned the game for a refund because unplayable, but if there was a cure I woyuld buy it/try it again.

Thanks.

Durk

Re: Appalling lag. Is there a cure?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 pm

This is rare. I have no lag and do not know of anyone else experiencing this. But there might be a solution. One of the Options tabs allows you to assign more memory to the game. Try that.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:35 pm

I've played 2 times with an opponent who has windows XP and I have win 7 64 bit system and I think we both have not so good computer. Still not much lag I think. I don't know well Win 10.

phoenix
Captain

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks. Interesting. For some reason the Steam vesion won't let me change the memory setting (fixed at lowest). I can move the slider, but it doesn't stick - when I restart it's just jumped back to the bottom of the scale. Same goes for the slider below it - textures size - which is fixed in this way one position from the top of the scale. Don't have that issue with Matrix versions of games I have, just the Steam versions.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:21 am

Maybe the steam overlay is the culprit?

phoenix
Captain

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 am

Can't get rid of that, though, right?

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:59 am

Not an expert in Steam, but at least a part of the overlay can be disabled for certain games. Functions like messages and such, that you normally reach via shift-tab or whatever the keys are.

Try to locate the exe in Steam\steamapps\common\ and change the compatibilty mode just to try. Also turning on the debug mode found in options produces more info that the techos can ponder about.

Nikel

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 pm

phoenix wrote:Thanks. Interesting. For some reason the Steam vesion won't let me change the memory setting (fixed at lowest). I can move the slider, but it doesn't stick - when I restart it's just jumped back to the bottom of the scale. Same goes for the slider below it - textures size - which is fixed in this way one position from the top of the scale. Don't have that issue with Matrix versions of games I have, just the Steam versions.

Do it manually:

viewtopic.php?f=342&t=51453&p=392257&hilit=lag#p392257

phoenix
Captain

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Many thanks, Nikel. That worked a treat with CW2. I had CW2 through Steam and had the slider problem , plus jerky graphics. I sent it back for refund, then bought through Matrix (costly!) and can thus confirm that the problem isn't a steam issue as I have the same issues with the Matrix version (but, sadly, they don't allow a refund, otherwise I'd go back to the much cheaper steam version!). Haven't tried again with TEAW yet. Altering the cache manually, as you suggest made a difference. Thanks. But can you say what the setting should be to max out the texture size? Should it be '3', or higher? Thanks.

phoenix
Captain

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm

And, indeed, I bought EAW again in the sales and messing directly with the options seems to cure the lag. Thanks Nikel. The slot that seems to make the difference, for me, is setting 'precaching the regions images' to '1', instead of '0'

czert2
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am

Well, it is strange that game not only not allowed you to chose certain options, but keep reverting them back. Do you run game at administrator rights ?
do you have graphick drivers up to date ?
Do you have running some programs at baground ?

it is great that you found working solution , but this problem of reversing settings is interesing.

Return to “EAW Technical support / Aide technique”