bkosar19
Sergeant

Crash with the 1916 scenario (Breaking the Deadlock)

Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:17 am

I'm getting a crash (game stops responding) whenever I press "Next Turn" with the 1916 Campaign scenario from "Breaking the Deadlock." I'm updated to 1.03.

It is a repeat crash that occurs every single time I start a 1916 campaign as the western Entente. I'm able to enter the campaign, but when I press next turn the game stops responding. It will reach "2" on that processing the turn scale and stops.

I've checked other campaigns and they all seem to working properly. It just appears to the 1916 scenario.

Pocus

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm running too this patch level and the scenario works fine. I would need the test of others people to confirm or not the issue.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 pm

I just ran the Steam version of TEAW 1916 scenario for about four turns without crashing.

(The reason I mentioned that it was the Steam version is that the Steam version should have slightly fewer system resources available to it).

So the good news is that I seem to be able to run 1916 without crashing. The bad news is that turn processing is not the worst that I've seen, but it is on the slow side. I attribute this to the fact that Athena has to make a lot of decisions and give a lot of orders because the sceanrio is so big. The game needs more standalone scenarios that focus on smaller chunks of the action, like a Verdun piece that might include the battle of the Somme, but no Italy, no Eastern Front, no Middle East. The 1916 scenario is a mini-monster as far as processing goes. At least on my rig.

Bottom line: whatever issues there are may be peculiar to the OP's hardware and configuration. Probably not a Pocus issue unless it turns out that there's a whole class of users who are in the same boat for the same reason.

(For the record, I am running with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and 8 Gigs of Ram).

bkosar19
Sergeant

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 am

Philippe wrote:I just ran the Steam version of TEAW 1916 scenario for about four turns without crashing.

(The reason I mentioned that it was the Steam version is that the Steam version should have slightly fewer system resources available to it).

So the good news is that I seem to be able to run 1916 without crashing. The bad news is that turn processing is not the worst that I've seen, but it is on the slow side. I attribute this to the fact that Athena has to make a lot of decisions and give a lot of orders because the sceanrio is so big. The game needs more standalone scenarios that focus on smaller chunks of the action, like a Verdun piece that might include the battle of the Somme, but no Italy, no Eastern Front, no Middle East. The 1916 scenario is a mini-monster as far as processing goes. At least on my rig.

Bottom line: whatever issues there are may be peculiar to the OP's hardware and configuration. Probably not a Pocus issue unless it turns out that there's a whole class of users who are in the same boat for the same reason.

(For the record, I am running with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and 8 Gigs of Ram).

It appears that I jumped the gun as to this being a bug. It's not a crash, but just extremely LONG turn processing times. I've never seen an AGEOD scenario take so long to process a turn. The turn was taking so long to process that I just assumed that it to be a crash. (And when I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of the game, my task manager would state that the game had stopped responding.) Still, upon reading your experience as to long turn processing times, I decided to give it another shot. I actually stepped out of the room while the turn was processing so I'm not exactly sure how long it took, but when I returned the scenario had successfully proceeded to turn 2.

I've got an I-5-4460 3.20 with 8 GB Ram. It's a fairly decent machine, but obviously this scenario tasks it

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:22 pm

My guess is that you've never played Pride of Nations.

The turn proccessing in a big TEAW scenario is long, but not so bad once you know what to expect. Leaving the room is a good strategy, but mindless idiot that I am I usually just sit there and stare at the screen.

With PON that only used to work if you had good light and a book to read.

But this, in a nutshell, is one of the principal reasons that TEAW needs more small scenarios.

bkosar19
Sergeant

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 pm

You're correct that I don't own PON. (Horror stories of incredibly long turn processing times were a factor why I passed on that particular title.)

I do own WIA, AJE, ROP, NCP, and RUS. So, I'm pretty familiar with AGEOD games, and most of those games' turn processing times are relatively quick. So, the processing time for TEAW's "monster" scenario was a bit of a surprise.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:07 pm

There's a button in the options menu that allows the game to use more of your system resources. Have you tried fiddling with that to see if it makes any difference ?

I think basic processing power may be more important than RAM in a situation like this.

Return to “EAW Technical support / Aide technique”