Tibetan Monk
Conscript

Upgrading processor will decrease turn time, right?

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm still in the learning phase of the game, but I can tell this is a game I will spend hundreds of hours on. I don't really have much of an issue with turn times at the moment, but considering the amount of time I will be spending on this, improving it is definitely welcome. So, I thought getting a new processor will do this for me. Currently I have an old Athlon II x4 640. I wish to upgrade to i5, and because of that I will also need a new motherboard. This will cost me about €300 total, so I need to be sure that this will in fact have quite a positive effect on the turn times.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Your old proc was already very powerfull. The i5 can speed your game (not very much) if it's core singles are faster than the 3GHz (Age engine does not use yet the multithreading...).
However, what you will gain is a more silent pc (and pay less electricity), for the i5 will use far less power..

bob.
General

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Funny coincidence, I upgraded from an Athlon II x4 640 to an i5 (4670K) a few months ago.
Well, I built a completely new PC, so a real comparison may be difficult. But I do notice a significant turn time processing decrease.

Tibetan Monk
Conscript

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Although paying less for electricity is quite nice considering the amount of time I use the pc, I will hold off on buying it then if it will barely do anything. Thanks a lot for replying! :)

Pocus

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 am

a SSD drive instead of a classic one will help also.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:51 am

bob. wrote: coincidence, I upgraded from an Athlon II x4 640 to an i5 (4670K) a few months ago.
I built a completely new PC. I do notice a significant turn time processing decrease.

Yes, this i5 is among the most powerfull, and you upgraded many other elements which had might otherwise curb it. So all added it actually counts.
And it didn't cost you 'only' 300€ total...

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 am

Pocus wrote:a SSD drive instead of a classic one will help also.

I didn't try (mine is small and only my OS is on). I think it should help to launch the game, but I don't think that alone will help much to lower the turn process..
But, by your 'also', that was what you said, surely: not the SSD alone: it adds but other things must be changed (mainly the proc, then memory?) to see a good change in turn processing.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:20 am

Tibetan Monk wrote:Although paying less for electricity is quite nice considering the amount of time I use the pc,

Even so longly used, it should not so much lower the electricity bill. For what you pays too much for now is in warm removed by the pc fans. So, you may have to increase the radiators of your flat if you change your pc, lol.

Tibetan Monk
Conscript

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:57 pm

I will start by getting new RAM for now. Even if it doesn't help with this game, it's really needed. Currently it's 3x2GB sticks. I've heard putting only 2 sticks in the first and third slots will increase it's speed or whatever. So I'll get 2x4GB sticks for now. Getting a new processor will be next years priority then.

ERISS wrote:Even so longly used, it should not so much lower the electricity bill. For what you pays too much for now is in warm removed by the pc fans. So, you may have to increase the radiators of your flat if you change your pc, lol.

Haha :neener:

Return to “EAW Technical support / Aide technique”