Zardoz
Corporal

Tannenberg. Or, dude where's my army?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:34 am

I'm having a look at TEAW via the East Prussia scenario and tutorial.

I've managed to convert Hindenburg's stack into the OHL, but I can't seem to convert any of my 2-star Armee-Korps into actual *armies* (ie stacks with the diamond on their tab and so forth).

See the error message in the screenshot. https://photos.app.goo.gl/B3fPeErKLZNJUYoE6

Is this intended behaviour or am I doing something wrong? A GHQ without armies seems a bit of a waste since I would like to use the synchronized movement thing. Of course it does allow the creation of a Stack of Teutonic Doom around Paul von H, but is that all there is to it?

The tutorial also only converts Hindenburg to GHQ and does not demonstrate the conversion of stacks to armies.

Durk

Re: Tannenberg. Or, dude where's my army?

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 am

I wonder too. I tried to replicate your experience and could not. I think it might be the distance of your GHQ from your other potential armies. Just a guess.

Ebbingford

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 am

You need 3* for armies...... :cool:

Zardoz
Corporal

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Ebbingford wrote:You need 3* for armies...... :cool:

OK that explains it then :crying:

Then the next thing I need to clarify is whether it is really possible to synchronize the moves of stacks not related by the GHQ-Army connection? The UI certainly allows me to click the button but since they're only moving a couple of provinces I can't quite decide if it is synchronized movement or just good luck that my stacks end up in the same spot at the same time?

Otherwise Hindenburg's über-stack seems to have to do all the fighting. The corps stacks may or may not turn up on time which doesn't seem quite right.

Bargus
Corporal

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi Zardoz,

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but for the "synchronize movement" command the units need to start in the same province. It should work with any units (divisions, corps, armies) so long as they begin the turn in the same province. TEAW is a little different from some other Ageod games with respect to Armies and Corps. In TEAW, the Corps aren't attached to Armies or GHQs the same way they are in CW2, for example. Instead, all units sort of act independently (unless they're "inside" another unit). The benefit to making armies is the increase in command points so you can stuff more components in.

What *does* happen is March to the Sound of the Guns (MTSG). Basically, any unit next to the fighting has a (good?) chance to enter combat. I don't know the modifiers that affect the chance to join combat, but in my experience it happens way more often than not. This is really helpful on the defensive, since you don't need to be super strong in any one place so long as you have overlapping strength along your line.

What's probably happening in your case is Hindenburg is initiating combat and pulling along nearby Armies, Corps, etc. Hindenburg will take a lot of the brunt of the initial fighting, but the reinforcements should help spread that out a little. I honestly don't rely on the synchronize movement command much, and instead just keep strong units near where I want to fight.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Zardoz
Corporal

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 am

Bargus wrote:Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks, that's a very useful summary. That little East Prussia scenario is a good starter scenario to experiment with these things.

cheers

Tony

Return to “To End All Wars”