Edward75
Private

How to transport land units by sea?

Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 am

How to transport land units by sea?
I can not understand how to load land units on transports (which transports are needed for this)? What is the capacity? How long does it take to load and unload? Any info!

Bargus
Corporal

Re: How to transport land units by sea?

Wed May 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi Ed!

You need to have enough transport capacity to move land units by ship. If you hover over a land unit, you'll see a "weight" value (something like "3" or "12"). If you hover over a stack of ships, you'll see a carrying capacity number (something like 0/20). The ships can hold that much "weight" of land units. You may need to either break up Corps to fit, or gather more transport capacity in the ship stack.

To load the units on, they must be in the same space as the ships. Simply drag and drop the units onto the ship tab, like you would when combining land units. You can then move the ship where you want it, and use the "distant unload" command to do an amphibious assault.

Hope that helps!

Edward75
Private

Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks!
But, I just want to transport British units from England to France, to a friendly port! What order do I need to give after departure of transport convoy? Same, "distant unload", correct?

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Bargo's pretty much got it covered there, Ed.

One point I'd emphasise is that when your transport fleets are depleted by damage or lack of supply their transport capacity will drop. So if you're getting frustrated trying to load a unit onto a fleet and it just won't work, that's probably why - hence Bargo's advice to check the carrying capacity before anything else.

Also, under the heading "traps for new players", it's important to note that not all units that look like transports are in fact transports. Some of them are merchants so that what might look like transport points on the icon are in fact merchant load capacities. Another good reason to hover over the capacity rating before blaspheming and thumping your keyboard (as some of us have been known to do).

Finally, you'll notice that some combat and quasi-combat units have a small transport capacity. It's not enough to shift a corps but might be sufficient to get a brigade (maybe a division when grouped) or any number of leaders to distant forces under threat. I've never been able to figure out what goes with what in trying to aggregate such units, but my strong impression is that some of them are very choosey.

Bargus
Corporal

Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Good advice, as always, from Epa.

To move units from England to France, start the turn with the land units and the transports in the same city/harbor. Drag the land units' tabs onto the ships' tabs (like combining corps). There should be a naval unit with land units "inside" it. Move the ships to a port in France, and I believe they'll start the next turn "outside" the ships in the French port.

If you want to skip landing in a port, I'd try the "distant unload" command. It'll flash blue on whatever space you're unloading on. You'll need to move the ships adjacent to the land you're unloading on. I don't know how many "days" are spent unloading; it's possible that if the ships take 14 days to move, they may not have enough time to drop off the troops before the turn is over.

Good luck!

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Edward75 wrote:Thanks!
But, I just want to transport British units from England to France, to a friendly port! What order do I need to give after departure of transport convoy? Same, "distant unload", correct?

If that's all you're after I'm sorry to have overloaded you with extraneous detail, Ed. In principle the process of shipping units from one friendly port to another is dead simple.

No order is required. You just lob your troops onto your transports as Bargo has described, then mouse the transport unit directly into the port province. You will need to take care in ensuring that you do hit the port province itself, however, and not the bordering ocean province or any other naval unit in the vicinity - the system can find itself confused by clutter at times.

As to the "distant unload" command, that's to be used for landing units in unfriendly provinces or friendly provinces lacking a port. You load up in the same way, hit the "distant unload" order and you'll get a pop-up instructing you to tag the target province, do that then mouse your fleet to a sea zone adjacent to that province, and "Voila". If all goes well weather, traffic, and interception wise you'll get your boys landed there in a timely fashion. (Hint: all things often go less than well).

Return to “To End All Wars”