Bargus
Corporal

question on alignment starting values

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I was playing around with some different starts, and had a question on the initial alignment values, for the UK specifically but really for any neutral: Do the plans that are picked determine the alignment values, or is it random? The reason I ask is I started a game with the CP Moltke plan (aggressive attack into Russia); France picked the defensive plan (XIII?) and Russia the Grand Duke. At the game start, the UK was at 24% CP alignment, which seemed kinda far away for a defensive WE, but not crazy. So, I started another game; Allies were the same plans, but this time the CP was the Kronprinz (defensive). This time, the UK was only 14% CP. Intuitively, I'd think the more defensive stance from the CP would make the UK more likely to stay neutral.

Anyone know how this works? Does it impact any other neutrals (Italy, Ottomans, the Balkan nations)?

Thanks!

epaminondas
Colonel

Re: question on alignment starting values

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:13 pm

There's a list item "Penalties" in the info provided with the various plan choices, and in that you'll find any notified effects influencing starting penalties. There's no mention there of anything relating to Britain's starting disposition towards the CP so I think you've turned up an important undocumented effect, Bargo. Well spotted.

Historically Britain's casus belli was Germany's invasion of Belgium so the Kronprinz deployment in the East rather than the West would seem consistent with a reduced British "alienation", but since the Moltke Plan also entails an eastern deployment that logic wouldn't seem to apply.

As to any effects on other nations, who knows?!

Bargus
Corporal

Re: question on alignment starting values

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks, Epa!

That's why I'm wondering if it's random, or at least semi-random.

I think I've read AARs on the site that have France choosing an aggressive plan (through Luxembourg and/or Belgium), and the UK starts less aligned to the WE. Certainly the Schlieffen and Ruprecht plans cause the UK to be at war with the CP at the start. Not so sure on the others, though. And if it's contingent on which plans the WE, EE, *and* CP pick, that's a lot of combinations to test!

Return to “To End All Wars”