pantsukki
Brigadier General

Imbalanced events

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm aware that most likely the game won't be patched anymore, but I was wondering at the (im)balance of NM affecting events currently in the game. Doing a quick count of the events visible at the 1914 start, the CP gets +5 NM from the Deutschland-event (sub reaching America), and loses 10 NM after the death of A-H:s emperor. They don't seem to be able to sabotage the Western Entente's NM (not to mention that picking the Lenin event also takes a whopping 10 NM from the CP!) Yet the (Western) Entente can take away a massive 25 NM from the CP, gain +10 NM from Clemenceau and most likely will end up boosting the CP's NM by 5 if they give concessions to Italy.

To summarize, the CP through their events get -5 NM, and the (Western) Entente get +10 NM, and also can take away 20 NM from the CP. That's a difference of 35 (!!) NM through events that are mostly automatic or low cost no-brainers. Seems a little out of balance to me, especially since the NM balancing mechanic means that it's impossible to build a big advantage early on as the CP.

Durk

Re: Imbalanced events

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am

You know, I have been thinking about your post for a couple of days. I think I disagree with you on several account. First of all, AGOED is so great about applying necessary patches long after games are released.
But mostly, the game is very balanced with regard to NM awards and incentives. Not all are named events. Some come from game play.
To reply in the spirit of you note - The CP can knock the socks off the Entente powers with devilishly clever NM ploys.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Durk wrote:To reply in the spirit of you note - The CP can knock the socks off the Entente powers with devilishly clever NM ploys.

How? Are there any other methods available besides winning battles while destroying elements and forcing garrisons to surrender? Or are there "hidden" events that affect NM?

Durk

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:57 am

I guess you could say some are hidden as they are based upon events, regions taken and alliances consummated or denied. Most are dependent upon lines of play which are usually historical, but some appear only in anti-historical play.

But I think the main thing I am suggesting, the game is very balanced with regard to NM modification. But many are very subtle, like the "Rape of Belgium." This even provides no NM adjustment, but by easing Germany's progress through Belgium, it enhances the Central Powers ability to earn NM.

NM is not an easy or simply component of play, but more like a three dimensional animal.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Here's hoping for balance as I'm currently in a tight game against the Entente :D

Nikel

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Pity there is no AAR!

Return to “To End All Wars”