mjw
Lieutenant

Corps out of army container

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:48 pm

I've played almost every AGEOD game except for this one but I'm a bit confused my the manual. If I form an army, in order to get any benefits I would from that army, must the Corps actually be IN the army stack itself or just in the same region?

Unlike ACW2, when I form a corps, it doesn't appear to be connected to an adjacent army so I'm assuming that simply being in a region with an army is sufficient

Related to that, if I do have several Corps in the same or adjacent regions, can I coordinate their movement by synchronizing movement or is that only for armies in the same Army group?

Durk

Re: Corps out of army container

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 am

Conceptually, EAW runs a different idea of the relation of armies to corps. Once you understand this, it is an excellent simulation of the WWI era armies.

To get 'any' benefit, corps need to be in the same or an adjacent region as an army. Corps do not embed inside the army (although they can). Instead they stack in the same region or an adjacent region.

An army force can support any adjacent corps with March to the Sound of Guns just like in all other AGEOD games. But corps are not subordinate to an army as in CW2. Instead, any army in the same or an adjacent region can attach that corps for battle. Think of armies as units which can use and corps in the region or an adjacent region OR which will support any corps in the same or any adjacent region.

You can use the coordinated march as in other AGEOD games. The limit is the same, if the army and corps all have selected the coordinate movement command and start in the same region, they will move together.

Army group is not really a concept useful to understanding this game. Instead, each side has a supreme command which must be in command range of three star generals in order for the general to be promoted to army command.

mjw
Lieutenant

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:50 am

Thank you for the detailed answer. So in essence, it is like RoP or ACW in that an army grants bonuses and "uses" corps in the region or surroundings regions...only in EaW, the corps aren't attached so ANY Corps can be used by ANY army in that region or adjacent.

So I had set up my armies with 2 Corps each actually IN the army stack/container. Is it better to leave the Corps seperate but in the region and fill the army container with the "reserve division" units and other specialty units?

Durk

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes, just the way you say it.

Best is still up in the air for me. If you poke around the forum, you will see several suggestion for the best composition of armies and corps. I use the army as a 'fire brigade,' rushing in to help corps, so I try to make it strong in all arms. I do not put a corps inside, although this works. The reason I do not is probably my conception of the relation of armies to corps, not anything to do with game play.

Return to “To End All Wars”