Cheesehead
Conscript

Need some basic tips for Grand Campaign

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Playing Grand Campaign as France. i selected the option to attack through Luxembourg. Germany is focusing on Russia. Belgium is not in the war. I've been able to make some progress on my front but Germany has stiffened up resistance.

It's early 1915. So far my strategy is to build a lot of infantry and arty and get it to the front. I also am building a lot of munitions factories.

I got some new generals and am trying to put together divisions, corps, armies, but it doesn't seem I can build big units with the new infantry, arty, generals. Suggestions?

With my navy I've been sending most of my fleet to the two Atlantic shipping/blockade boxes. No idea if this is a good strategy.

Just want some strategies on what to build, how to create effective armies and command structures, and where and how to attack (offensive, defensive, or assault?).

I have a love/hate relationship with these AGEOD games. I own quite a few but they still elude me a bit.

Durk

Re: Need some basic tips for Grand Campaign

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 am

To End All Wars uses a different command structure than most other AGEOD games, so if you are bringing that experience to this game this may be one source of confusion.

Pause your battle for the moment and do this things, find a 3 star general within command range of your commander-in-chief (GCHQ) who is not an army commander and give this leader army command. Next, stack as many units into this army as you can with not incurring command penalties. Try the same this time by putting corps units into the army. You will send there are several decent army formations.

Corps are built typically with two regular infantry and one artillery unit. That is pretty much the maximum size, except you can usually add one smaller unit like a raised conscript division. These corps will act together as long as they are in the same region or a region adjacent to an army.

So this is a 'big' unit. An army with several corps units in the same region, but not inside the army. They will all join in battle together with the army's lead.

Naval strategy for me as France has the fleet helping the army attack Greece or the Ottomans, but the naval blockade in the Atlantic and the Med is useful.

What you are building sounds about right. I am a natural born attacker, so in this game I have to be careful to suspend the offensive before my losses go so high my NM is hurt. Probably against AI attacking is the most interesting thing to do. If you pbem as France, you initially need a great defense.

These games take time. If you have the expansion Breaking the Deadlock, some of the smaller scenarios are better for learning the game.

Yours will soon become a mad infatuation once you understand the underlying conceptions a bit more.

Cheesehead
Conscript

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks much. Very helpful about command structure.

I really enjoyed Birth of America. This is a good game too - just much larger scale...

Durk

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:11 am

Birth of America remains my favorite all time game, but it has no command structure at all. To End All Wars is an excellent game, but it is involving. I think my first turn took over three hours to play, but well worth it.

Return to “To End All Wars”