warleader6
Civilian

Help ! Need Generals of the game to get in the trench with me a minute

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:55 am

I just bought this game only days ago, and I wish I had discovered it long ago. I bought it because I am taking a WW1 class in college and I find the war fascinating.

1. Question from the veterans: What keeps you playing this game? Since it was released years ago, I find it amazing people are active. What keeps you in or brings you back.? I ask this because replayability is a desire for me in all games...I hate beating a game and putting it away forever. CK2, EUIV are great examples of game that you shelve for a bit then come back to.

2. Are the alternative ways to play to keep the game fun? I wish there was an editor that you could design your own battles....VERDUN campaign for example....or can you just ignore the rules of the game and set your own objectives?...as an example, when playing the campaign, it seems from the Eastern Front, you always take Hindenberg as you would use him from the tutorial.......any suggestions from the veterans on how to change it up?

Lastly and this is BIG......................................................................................................................................................................

3. I do not knw what the heck I am doing. I have learned much from youtube and the manual the last few days but my God it is complicated. Any advice on how to learn and understand the mechanics? I do not want to burn myself out restarting the campaign as I am learning. The tutorial and small campaigns do not have navies, so you need the full campaign to lean everything.

4. Any INTEL as to whther the devs will release more DLC for thi sgame or is it done? I haven't bought the DLC available b/c I am waiting to see if I can learn this. The first two questions are important to me though,,,

thanks to the Generals of this game that help me out

Warleader

Durk

Re: Help ! Need Generals of the game to get in the trench with me a minute

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 am

Hi warleader6 and welcome to the Forum.

Excellent questions.

AGEOD is a unique game company who keep supporting games well after their release, but this is not the only reason to keep returning to the game. It is the Great War. AGEOD games are superior in their ability to accurately portray historical simulations at the strategic level. One thing which brings many player to love and continue playing this game is to play other players via pbem. This is a rich game which is really enhanced with three player play.
The existing DLC is very rich in new scenarios.

The simple complexities of the game keep it relevant and fun. As with all AGEOD games, you will not master it in a few weekends of dedicated play. This is more like chess, you can make the Hindenberg play every game (like opening with the King's pawn) but then you find a new excitement with other openings.

Some might advise you to start with a simpler game, not me. I would say enjoy the small scenarios. Get the DLC and do the 1916 opening: it is a whole new world. What I do in learning a new game is to play all sides rather than using AI. So play the two Entente factions and the Central Power against yourself. You will learn so much this way.

Also, do not think of the game as linear. One major learning tool is to use the feature which allows you to back up one turn and replay. This is especially helpful when you experience a major loss. You can experiment with other options.

warleader6
Civilian

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:50 pm

How can you play as all sides? Do you play via email with yourself? Thanks for the responses.

Durk

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am

Easier than you can imagine. You will kick yourself once you know

Open one side, make the move and save.
Open the next side, make the move and save.
Finally open the third faction, make the move and run the turn.

Repeat.

I usually resolve the turn with the side which is most interesting or in the most trouble or the one I am really working to master.

Return to “To End All Wars”