epaminondas
Colonel

Stumped again

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:49 am

Sorry to clutter up the forum with shortcomings in my understanding, but the manual continues to confound me.

First, the Hindenburg problem (posted previousl) persists after many retrials and restarts. Germany (me) chooses the Moltke plan and Russia the Grand Duke, Hindenburg arrives to replace Prittwitz, but having arrived remains ineligible for promotion to GHQ level - at least through Turn 9 which is when I toss the whole thing in. I could do without his promotion were it not for the fact that the tool tip tells me that promoting anyone else prior to him will cost me 11 NM and an oodle of VPs.

Second, I have an icon on the German section of the off-map Diplomacy Region telling me that the War Weariness decision has been made. Obviously not by me, and not as one of the regional decisions listed in the manual since it doesn't feature there, but fair enough - an oversight. It also tells me, however, that the decision can be removed by right clicking on the icon. It can't, at least not by any of the frenzied clicking that I've done; and there's nothing apparent in any of the three references to war weariness provided in the manual to indicate what must be done to make it so.

Altaris

Re: Stumped again

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:02 pm

RE: Hindenburg, this is WAD for the Moltke Plan. Basically, opting to go east first means Moltke takes over as the GHQ in charge, and Hindenburg no longer gets to automatically take over - it 's one of the penalties for taking this plan. Hindenburg still makes a strong army commander though, and he may very well get enough seniority bumps to eventually take over.

RE: War Weariness, this decision can't be removed. Due to the way the interface works, you'll see the message show up about right-clicking it but that won't allow you to remove it. All nations must struggle with War Weariness in TEAW, this is WAD.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Many thanks for both explanations, Altaris. Both outcomes make perfect sense but I'm left wondering why the messaging hasn't been changed to reflect them (e.g. why I get the message that the War Weariness icon can be removed) and, particularly, why I would then be penalised for selecting someone other than Hindenburg as my first GHQ appointment.

Also, does the fact that Moltke becomes GHQ in the East mean that Germany's GHQ allowance has dropped from 2 to 1?

Altaris

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:34 pm

You can still have two GHQ's as Germany, it's just that Hindenburg isn't the next in line for seniority to get it. The same tooltip which tells you Hindenburg will cost X VP and Y NM to promote should tell you who he would be bypassing... that person can be promoted to GHQ with no penalty.

The War Weariness message is due to the fact we implemented War Weariness as an Regional Decision to make its effects work on multiple messages. Therefore the message says you can remove it (since normally you can remove a Regional Decision) but in this case this particular RGD is not removable. It is just an oversight on the tooltip for RGDs not properly updating when the flag to not remove them is set.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Good enough. Thanks for indulging me. I'll by-pass Hindenburg and if my NM plummets I won't need to post again - you'll hear the scream all the way to Paris.

Return to “To End All Wars”