Von Conrad
Conscript

2 questions regarding HQ

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, it is said that GHQ is giving some bonuses when their armies are in range. I am interested to know is the same for Armies regarding it's Corps - do they need to be in range of ArmiesHQ or?

BTW, other confusing thing and forgive me if I am asking stupid question but how can player see really simple comprehensive OOB hiearchy so that we know which Corps belongs to what Armies, or game doesn't work that way? Then why making OOB in the first place lol.
To make myself clear in this campaign there are 2 German armies in East in same province ready for advance and I don't know which corps belong to which army because I want to send one army in one loosely said direction and other army in one other direction. What happens if I mix those troops... I cannot see which corps belong to that army. BTW and is it that method right? I see that one guy merged many corps into armies and exceeded command limit, stupid thing...

I am confused. I still learn to play and I do it rather slowly, I will have to play one test game to see for myself.

Durk

Re: 2 questions regarding HQ

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:15 am

Thinking about the relationship of headquarters in EAW is kind of different from other AGEOD games. Think of the GHQ as the headquarters which provides all bonuses to all armies.
Think also of all Corps being subordinate to all adjacent Armies.

So in the situation you describe, each German army will be supported by all adjacent corps, but the two armies will not support each other.

Merging corps into armies is ok up to a point, but when penalties from command penalties exist, then it is a mistake.

See if this makes sense -

Von Conrad
Conscript

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:07 am

Durk wrote:Thinking about the relationship of headquarters in EAW is kind of different from other AGEOD games. Think of the GHQ as the headquarters which provides all bonuses to all armies.
Think also of all Corps being subordinate to all adjacent Armies.

So in the situation you describe, each German army will be supported by all adjacent corps, but the two armies will not support each other.

Merging corps into armies is ok up to a point, but when penalties from command penalties exist, then it is a mistake.

See if this makes sense -

Thanks... That makes sense, suits to me, less micromanagment but some wargamer, groognards purist will be offended as basically you say that OOB hierarchy is done halfway. I was just afraid that some of my corps will get some panalties if they stray away too far (which is not so possible since you cannot make blitzkrieg type of movement anyway). Well, I have done my first turn but there was no combat, interesting. French are defending according to their plan (hmmmm, I prefered that they attack Alsace and Lorraine but they are not attacking hmmm). On the Russian front, Russians are also defending and my corps are still stuck. Jesus, do they need to wait till some fortress fall or military control pass to me because on one instance they didn't crossed the river and I need them there to engage Russian forces around Minsk and they are waiting for some fortress to fall.
I hope that I will not lose against AI (OK, I am not playing easy, want to see how AI plays).

Your answer also is saying that Corps are pretty independent thing in EAW.

And yes, I am confused - the territory you want to take must be mine like above some percent of military control? Do I need to siege provinces with fortress and not attack them (to minimize casualties)?

Altaris

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 pm

Durk is referring to the "March to the Sound of the Guns" feature of the AGE engine. If a combat occurs, any friendly stacks adjacent to the combat have a chance of coming to join the combat if they pass certain checks. This chance is much higher (+50 IIRC) if they are part of the same OOB (which in EAW equates to being part of the same front attached to a GHQ). It's also effected by how much military control you have over both the target region and the region the stack is moving from (its 1% per 2% MC for both, IIRC). It's also dependent on how many days it takes to march to the adjacent region, so it's much harder to MTSG to a mountain region than a plains.

So, for example, attacking an enemy region (where you have 0% military control) but you have friendly stacks in 100% military control regions adjacent would have about 50% base chance to MTSG (0% from the battle region, but 50% from the friendly regions). If both are attached in the OOB, it jumps up another +50%, so the base chance would now be 100%. This would be impacted by how many days it takes to march there (IIRC, it's -2% per day, so if its 24 days to march, it's -48%).

Long story short, MTSG lets you quickly bring in reinforcements, but its less reliable in bad territory and less useful on the offensive (since your MC is lower when attacking).

The OOB isn't as robust as it might could be, but it is in keeping with the AGE engine. Corps don't really matter in the OOB picture, they are instead a way to combine units together to less command penalty.

Von Conrad
Conscript

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Altaris wrote:Durk is referring to the "March to the Sound of the Guns" feature of the AGE engine. If a combat occurs, any friendly stacks adjacent to the combat have a chance of coming to join the combat if they pass certain checks. This chance is much higher (+50 IIRC) if they are part of the same OOB (which in EAW equates to being part of the same front attached to a GHQ). It's also effected by how much military control you have over both the target region and the region the stack is moving from (its 1% per 2% MC for both, IIRC). It's also dependent on how many days it takes to march to the adjacent region, so it's much harder to MTSG to a mountain region than a plains.

So, for example, attacking an enemy region (where you have 0% military control) but you have friendly stacks in 100% military control regions adjacent would have about 50% base chance to MTSG (0% from the battle region, but 50% from the friendly regions). If both are attached in the OOB, it jumps up another +50%, so the base chance would now be 100%. This would be impacted by how many days it takes to march there (IIRC, it's -2% per day, so if its 24 days to march, it's -48%).

Long story short, MTSG lets you quickly bring in reinforcements, but its less reliable in bad territory and less useful on the offensive (since your MC is lower when attacking).

The OOB isn't as robust as it might could be, but it is in keeping with the AGE engine. Corps don't really matter in the OOB picture, they are instead a way to combine units together to less command penalty.

Thank you Altaris, that clears some things for me. I made some mistakes as I assume now that there is needed some time to convert enemy territories to your own so that supply can travel through it. Well, I must study plans much more carefully as my corps are not exactly in the place where I needed them. Some where delayed and some incorporated non moving infantry in Split (I ordered them to go by rail to Sarajevo). Oh, well, only way to learn this game is to play it.

Altaris

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:55 pm

In August and September 1914, you can push your luck quite a bit, and to a lesser extent through the rest of 1914, but after that it becomes a 1-2 regions at a time type of thing. This is WAD to simulate WW1 trench warfare setting in.

Von Conrad
Conscript

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Altaris wrote:In August and September 1914, you can push your luck quite a bit, and to a lesser extent through the rest of 1914, but after that it becomes a 1-2 regions at a time type of thing. This is WAD to simulate WW1 trench warfare setting in.

Great. French forces still didn't attacked, this front need to be held. Well, I am smashing Russian armies on German front all around East Prussia but Austrians are defeated in two places, Lemberg and Przemisl, it will be interesting game... Finally I think that I know how to play this game but I think that AI will give me good fight. Serbian forces were beaten by some cavarly around Vrsac when they tried to cross river. I build many reserve units, hope that they will be in the game soon.

Return to “To End All Wars”