Wiggum
Lieutenant

Depot and City's Level 1-3 question about supplies

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:02 pm

I have a more detailed question about supply now:

From the manual:
Depot: It can be built at a cost of two Supply Wagons or by two transports ships if a harbor is in the region. They can
also be destroyed. Depots are able to stockpile and pass on Supply during the Supply Distribution Phase. A good network
of Depots is critical to move Supply from your rear areas to
the front. Presence of a depot inside a city is indicated by tents and crates.

Important Note: Evaluate the potential bottlenecks in your Supply network by checking which rear-area cities stockpile too much Supply
that should be available at the front line (the Supply Filter will help you with that). Create a ‘grid’ of Depots to alleviate the problem, and
watch out for towns (Level 1 to 3 cities) which can’t push Supplies forward unless they contain a Depot.

1) It says a depot can be build at a "cost of two Supply Wagons". I have some regions with a few units + 2 Supply Trains (horse drawn wagons) inside that dont have a depot yet.
Still i cant select the option "Build Depot". Why ?

2) In another region i already have a depot but my army inside this region still shows the "Build Depot" option available. Why ? Will it just upgrade the existing depot ?

3) "watch out for towns (Level 1 to 3 cities) which can’t push Supplies forward unless they contain a Depot"...now that sounds strange...
Does this mean that while supplies can be pushed forward from a city with a depot trough other regions with nothing else but a railroad inside to another depot or the frontline this supplies will get "stuck" if they hit a level 1 to 3 city without a depot ? Even if there is a railroad or road going through this city towards other regions ?
So basically level 1-3 city's act like road blocks for supply is this correct ?

Basically that would mean a supply chain like this:

City with Depot -> Region with nothing but railroad -> City Level 4 -> Region with railroad and my unit inside, this unit is supplied.

City with Depot -> Region with nothing but railroad -> City Level 1 (No Depot) -X Region with railroad and my unit inside, this unit is NOT supplied.

Is this how it works...sounds really strange...can you please explain ?

Durk

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Wiggum wrote:I have a more detailed question about supply now:

From the manual:

1) It says a depot can be build at a "cost of two Supply Wagons". I have some regions with a few units + 2 Supply Trains (horse drawn wagons) inside that dont have a depot yet.
Still i cant select the option "Build Depot". Why ?

2) In another region i already have a depot but my army inside this region still shows the "Build Depot" option available. Why ? Will it just upgrade the existing depot ?

3) "watch out for towns (Level 1 to 3 cities) which can’t push Supplies forward unless they contain a Depot"...now that sounds strange...
Does this mean that while supplies can be pushed forward from a city with a depot trough other regions with nothing else but a railroad inside to another depot or the frontline this supplies will get "stuck" if they hit a level 1 to 3 city without a depot ? Even if there is a railroad or road going through this city towards other regions ?
So basically level 1-3 city's act like road blocks for supply is this correct ?

Basically that would mean a supply chain like this:

City with Depot -> Region with nothing but railroad -> City Level 4 -> Region with railroad and my unit inside, this unit is supplied.

City with Depot -> Region with nothing but railroad -> City Level 1 (No Depot) -X Region with railroad and my unit inside, this unit is NOT supplied.

Is this how it works...sounds really strange...can you please explain ?

1) You need to have some level of control, I think 10% for the region to be eligible. Also, check the number of elements in each supply wagon. The cost is actually eight elements. Many supply wagons only have two elements.

2) You can build multiple depots in a single area, but as you say, it upgrades the existing deport to the next level. Each level allows for more supply to transit the region each turn.

3) Think of the game as having two separate supply systems to move and forward supply

a) One is without the railroad. This is the one which says, “watch out for Level 1 – 3 towns.” Depending upon terrain, these depots need to be no more than three 3 regions apart. That is, three separating regions. Supply is pushed in this chain. Small towns in this chain need at least one depot to forward supply.
b) The other is with rail. Any unused rail points forward supply without regard to the chain of cities and depots. In this game, if you have a clear railroad to your forward depots, they will gather supply whether they are in a chain or not. So conceptually, supply would go 15 or more regions without any intermittent cities or depots if you have surplus rail capacity. [Sea transport points also have this ability if in the naval Shipping boxes.]

So in both instances you provide you would be in supply if you had excess rail capacity.

BTW, it does not matter if you are inside or outside of a city.

In your second example, with a depot you will have supply. If there is only a railroad there is nothing to collect supply, so you need a depot.

Level 1 cities generate 6 general supply a turn. This is why they can be a bottleneck in the a) supply chain as they can only forward supply equal to their capacity – 6.

Supply wagons collect supply and distribute it to units, but are never part of a chain of supply except as the end point.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks for your answers, you help me so much but i have further questions !

Durk wrote:a) One is without the railroad. This is the one which says, “watch out for Level 1 – 3 towns.” Depending upon terrain, these depots need to be no more than three 3 regions apart. That is, three separating regions. Supply is pushed in this chain. Small towns in this chain need at least one depot to forward supply.

So this means if there is no railroad:
a) Region with Depot [1] -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with Depot [2]
a) Supply would be pushed from Depot 1 to Depot 2, correct ?

b) Region with Depot [1] -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with City Level 4 -> Region with forest, a road and my units inside
b) The supply from Depot 1 would reach my units because a City level 4, even without depot can push supply forward.

c) Region with Depot [1] -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with City Level 1 and NO depot -> Region with forest, a road and my units inside
c) Supply would NOT reach my units because a City Level 1 cant push support forward

d) Region with Depot [1] -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with city level 1 and NO depot -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with just forest and road -> Region with forest, a road and my units inside
d) Supply would NOT reach my units because between the Depot 1 and my units are more then 3 regions and nothing in between that can push supply forward

...are my examples correct ?

The other is with rail. Any unused rail points forward supply without regard to the chain of cities and depots. In this game, if you have a clear railroad to your forward depots, they will gather supply whether they are in a chain or not. So conceptually, supply would go 15 or more regions without any intermittent cities or depots if you have surplus rail capacity.

So basically without a rail network supply can only be transported over 3 regions before it must be stored in a depot OR a City with Level 4 or more again, correct ?
With a rail network, the distance between depots (or citys with level 4 or more) increases to 15 regions, correct ?

In your second example, with a depot you will have supply. If there is only a railroad there is nothing to collect supply, so you need a depot.

Wait...
So you say if my units are in a region without a depot or a city level 4 or more supply will never reach them ?

Level 1 cities generate 6 general supply a turn. This is why they can be a bottleneck in the a) supply chain as they can only forward supply equal to their capacity – 6.

Is it correct that a Supply Train unit can store 20 Supply ?
So it would take 3 turns to fill up the supply's of a single Supply Train unit if it is in a region with a level 1 city ?

Durk

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Yes, each of your examples are correct.

Without a rail network, supply can be transported 1 – 5 regions depending upon terrain. In the examples you used there was a road through all regions, so better for forwarding supply.
If I understand correctly, there are three pushes each turn, so the supply could be pushed up to three of the 3 (more or less) regions.

If I said that I did not mean it. Wagons and units draw supply from cities and depots in range. Wagons are especially efficient at drawing supply to regions without depots if they are in range.

Yes, 20 supply. You can always check the supply level by clicking on the unit. Yes, in theory it would take three turns, but only if the supply unit was alone and the only unit in range.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Durk wrote:Yes, each of your examples are correct.

Without a rail network, supply can be transported 1 – 5 regions depending upon terrain. In the examples you used there was a road through all regions, so better for forwarding supply.
If I understand correctly, there are three pushes each turn, so the supply could be pushed up to three of the 3 (more or less) regions.

If I said that I did not mean it. Wagons and units draw supply from cities and depots in range. Wagons are especially efficient at drawing supply to regions without depots if they are in range.

Yes, 20 supply. You can always check the supply level by clicking on the unit. Yes, in theory it would take three turns, but only if the supply unit was alone and the only unit in range.

Thanks !

I guess ammunition (the one you get when building a ammunition factory) is also pushed forward like normal supplies, correct ?
That means if i build a ammunition factory in Moscow this ammunition gets pushed to east Prussia frontlines.

Durk

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Yes, ammunition works the same way as far as being pushed forward. Your factories can be far from the front.

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 am

Durk wrote:Yes, ammunition works the same way as far as being pushed forward. Your factories can be far from the front.

Thank you Durk !
Now i can enjoy this game even more !

Return to “To End All Wars”