Wiggum
Lieutenant

Questions about GHQ's and command structure

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:47 am

Hi !

I just started the Grand Campaign, playing as the russians.
I read the manual, played the tutorials and watched youtube videos...

But still i dont get a few things about the game. For example the GHQ thing.

I currently have one GHQ located at Minsk with 4 Army's attached. Those four army's are all outside of the "command radius" of the GHQ.
But i guess they still dont suffer the 50% Command Point reductions that army's outside of a GHQ normally suffer...is this correct ?

Is it correct that the only way to add new army's to the GHQ is to have a army inside the "command range" (shift key) of the GHQ ?

Will i get more GHQ's ?
And how do i get them ?
Is there a limit how many army's i can assign to a GHQ ?

Having only one such GHQ while fighting the Germans and Austrians is bad because i have many armys which suffer the 50% Command Point reduction.

I now moved 6 new generals from Moscow to Minsk and plan to assign them all to the GHQ and then use some of them to create new army's. Will this work or is there a better way to do it ?

Also i would like to know:
Are Corps that are not in the same stack as a army which is assigned to a GHQ but in the same region also considered to be "inside" the command structure ?

Thanks !

EDIT: Oh, and another unrelated question:

Why cant i place any diplomates as russia ?
I'm in turn 4 and still have no diplomates as "regional decisions" that i could place on other nations...
Any idea ?

clandini5
Corporal

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:07 am

You only get one GHQ per major power except Germany which gets two, one for the western front and one for the eastern front.
The limit of armies assigned to a GHQ may be limited to the strategic rating of the GHQ commander (but I am not sure on that).
As far as I know to make a 3 star commander an army commander to the GHQ they have to be in command range of the GHQ (they may also need to be active for this to happen, not 100% on that).
Having the generals at your GHQ sounds good to me (hopefully others can chime in as they may have a better idea).
I do not think the Eastern Entente gets diplomats (there are a couple options that they may be able to play to influence say Rumania).
Not sure on the Corps.

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:35 am

[S]

clandini5 wrote:You only get one GHQ per major power except Germany which gets two, one for the western front and one for the eastern front.
The limit of armies assigned to a GHQ may be limited to the strategic rating of the GHQ commander (but I am not sure on that).
As far as I know to make a 3 star commander an army commander to the GHQ they have to be in command range of the GHQ (they may also need to be active for this to happen, not 100% on that).
Having the generals at your GHQ sounds good to me (hopefully others can chime in as they may have a better idea).
I do not think the Eastern Entente gets diplomats (there are a couple options that they may be able to play to influence say Rumania).
Not sure on the Corps.

You can assign as many army corps to an army as you wish so long as they are 2 or 3 star general. But you are right, the Eastern Entente diplomacy is slightly different as they do not recieve that many diplomates.

@Wiggum the only thing affected when an army corps is outside its GHQ radius is the benefits (or penalities) recieved from the GHQ general (usually a 3 or 4 star general). Also note, as i have played as the Eastern Entente most of the 'dividions' are not attached to any GHQs and are not Army corps (they can be if you remove there divisinal command and click the 'create corps' button -- granted your close to any nearby GHQs).

But do note you can easily change an army corp's GHQ simply clicking 'remove corps' then click again 'create corps' and that army corp will be linked to the nearest GHQ (very useful if you want certain corps to march to the sound of guns -- which is very useful in massive battles).

Also, to answer your GHQ question, unless the GHQ contains units then more than likely you want to use any available (one star generals preferably) to form divisions within your GHQ as any division at any time will always have a command cost of 4. So yes you might want to attach some generals to your GHQ and form division, as GHQs also can 'march to the sound of guns'.

GHQs are created through special options usually under the third tab that will be a option say "create a new GHQ in 'said front' ". But if I recalled the areas your GHQs will be deployed is heavily based on the warplan you have chosen. So most of your army is set in Minsk (i'm guessing this is the historical warplan) in which your objective is to mount an offensive against mainly germany, if this is the case then you should do just that.

Hope this helps and i'm sure there are more veteran ageod users who are soon to reply to this thread. Good luck, have fun ! ^^[/S]
Revolution Under Siege Gold To End All Wars Espana 1936 Wars of Napoleon Civil War II Alea Jacta Est Birth of America II: Wars in America Thirty Years' War Pride of Nations Rise of Prussia Gold

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:54 pm

@ deidaraakatski

Sorry thats totally confusing...

The command structure of TEAW is like this:
GHQ -> Army -> Corps -> Division
( A GHQ includes multiple Army's, a Army multiple Corps and a Corps multiple divisions)

...i'm pretty sure of that.

You write:
GHQ -> Army Corps (Corps ?) -> Division

...i think thats wrong.

Also, i'm sure i cant attach a corps directly to a GHQ like you wrote. But maybe if you say "Army Corps" you mean "Army" ?

So thanks but actually your answer confused me even more...

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:26 pm

[S]

Wiggum wrote:@ deidaraakatski

Sorry thats totally confusing...

The command structure of TEAW is like this:
GHQ -> Army -> Corps -> Division
( A GHQ includes multiple Army's, a Army multiple Corps and a Corps multiple divisions)

...i'm pretty sure of that.

You write:
GHQ -> Army Corps (Corps ?) -> Division

...i think thats wrong.

Also, i'm sure i cant attach a corps directly to a GHQ like you wrote. But maybe if you say "Army Corps" you mean "Army" ?

So thanks but actually your answer confused me even more...

To shorten my previous post, you can assign as many corps to a GHQ.
In some cased you may need to use one star generals to form divisions for GHQs that contain units that exceed the command cost. They don't need to be one star generals, but i usually use them as they are more numerous and can't form corps. But using a 2 star, or even a three star may be useful as they provide many CP.

To explain further: (be warned, it is quite a lengthy read)

Also, a GHQ is Army (also known as a front, OOB, Army, GHQ, which ever you choose to call it or depending on the nation). In the game you'll notice the forces that have a diamond like icon attached to it's unit tab is in fact a 'corps'. So yes, Army (GHQ) > Corps > Divisions

The manual refers the hierarchy in this way: Army group(GHQ)>Army stack(subbordinate to army group)>independent stack

Final note, it may be possible your looking at it from a real hierarchy, as in real life. However, the ageod games slightly abstract this structure in three main tiers (Army, corps, divisions), where the GHQ is simultaneous the supreme HQ or front and the army. This is mostly seperated in the game based only by name where some GHQs would be the name of some army or the name of some front.

This is also true of the corps abstractly represented in the game and only seperated by name, some are the name of an army, others, actually refered to as corps. Regardless, so long as they contain that diamond symbol on their tab they are in fact a corps, but abstractly can also be called an army (which is why in some manuals they are refered to as army corps).

The game also abstractly represents the navies and air-force, these are considered 'part of the Army' but which one? Well since historically some high commands had seperate departments within high command, the navies and airforce are respectively managed by their respective departments within high command (In Russia's case, the Stavka). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberkommando_des_Heeres

[/S]
Revolution Under Siege Gold To End All Wars Espana 1936 Wars of Napoleon Civil War II Alea Jacta Est Birth of America II: Wars in America Thirty Years' War Pride of Nations Rise of Prussia Gold

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:18 am

deidaraakatski wrote: This is also true of the corps abstractly represented in the game and only seperated by name, some are the name of an army, others, actually refered to as corps. Regardless, so long as they contain that diamond symbol on their tab they are in fact a corps, but abstractly can also be called an army (which is why in some manuals they are refered to as army corps).

Sorry, even more confusing...

And i guess you talk about another AGEOD game all the time...

I only talk about the game, not real life.
The diamond symbol on the tab shows that this stack is a Army assigned to a GHQ. Coprs dont get such a diamond symbol on their tab and Corps cant be assigned to a GHQ individually (only as part of an Army).

Durk

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:38 am

Perhaps think of it this way, you do not actually assign corps to armies. Instead, corps which are next to an army or in the same region as an army may join that army in battle as all corps potentially belong to any army they are adjacent to.
And yes, the diamond shows the Army to GHQ relationship.

As clandini5 says, you only get one GHQ per faction except Germany. A challenge is to move GHQs to the most important part of the front. Germany gets and East and West front, but Austria for instance must choose its front.

So the structure is:
GHQ enables Army creation, but may then travel to a more important front and create new armies. The armies left behind remain armies even without a GHQ.
Armies next to corps unite with corps for battle. But corps are NEVER assigned to an Army.

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Wiggum wrote:Sorry, even more confusing...

And i guess you talk about another AGEOD game all the time...

I only talk about the game, not real life.
The diamond symbol on the tab shows that this stack is a Army assigned to a GHQ. Coprs dont get such a diamond symbol on their tab and Corps cant be assigned to a GHQ individually (only as part of an Army).

My mistake, to recover at least some dignity, if there is any left, I apologize if there was any confusion, please disregard my posts (as I assume you already have) and again sorry. Happy gaming. ^^

Wiggum
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm

No problem !

Return to “To End All Wars”