SpartyOn
Civilian

Repairing Damaged Naval Squadrons

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:43 am

When a single ship of a naval squadron is sunk and the others damaged and you send it to port to repair, a new ship starts to build to replace the sunken ship. This makes the remaining ships of the squadron inactive and the whole squadron useless until the new ship is built, basically meaning the loss of one ship means the loss of four for the time being. Is there anyway to prevent the building of a new ship or transfer the ships not sunk to a new squadron. I would appreciate any help given!

Ebbingford

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:00 am

IIRC ships only receive a replacement element if they are put into "green" passive posture.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Salarmax
Corporal

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:27 pm

SpartyOn wrote:When a single ship of a naval squadron is sunk and the others damaged and you send it to port to repair, a new ship starts to build to replace the sunken ship. This makes the remaining ships of the squadron inactive and the whole squadron useless until the new ship is built, basically meaning the loss of one ship means the loss of four for the time being. Is there anyway to prevent the building of a new ship or transfer the ships not sunk to a new squadron. I would appreciate any help given!

I think you mean something like this? http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?42767-Whole-fleets-being-static-!
Also to me it's still not clear what to do? Do I have to put them in passive posture, knowing all my ships will be useless for a very long time, or should I put them in defensive posture?

seathom
Colonel

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:18 pm

I always take the ship that needs the replacement out of the fleet, into a port that has a naval base and put it on g/g then use the rest of the fleet as I wish. No need to immobilize the entire stack.

Salarmax
Corporal

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:40 pm

seathom wrote:I always take the ship that needs the replacement out of the fleet, into a port that has a naval base and put it on g/g then use the rest of the fleet as I wish. No need to immobilize the entire stack.

And what if only 1 element is broken. Can you also put only elements in g/g posture or only units?

seathom
Colonel

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 am

You cannot manipulate the elements; they are part of the unit, so the entire unit will need to be in port. However, I think you can move the weakened unit once the missing ship elements are being constructed, but I haven't really checked it because I don't like to move partial ship units around.

Salarmax
Corporal

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:38 pm

seathom wrote:You cannot manipulate the elements; they are part of the unit, so the entire unit will need to be in port. However, I think you can move the weakened unit once the missing ship elements are being constructed, but I haven't really checked it because I don't like to move partial ship units around.

Then how do you cope with the fact your 4 healthy ship elements will be static? Or do oyu take it for granted...

seathom
Colonel

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:42 pm

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a unit composed of 5 or more ships, but four ships are in full health. Once you notice the port is building the missing ship(s) does that unit card with the 4 healthy ships have any slashes on it? I believe it should be usable, but the ship(s) that are being built should have a red slash through it while it is being built and a brown slash through it when it is completed but not at full strength. Is this the current situation you are experiencing?

SpartyOn
Civilian

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:54 am

Yes it is. I haven't been putting my naval units on passive and that has been working. Thanks for the help everyone!

Khanti
Captain

Re:

Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 pm

seathom wrote:I always take the ship that needs the replacement out of the fleet, into a port that has a naval base and put it on g/g then use the rest of the fleet as I wish. No need to immobilize the entire stack.

The same thing, so not needed to start new topic.
So I want to say that I just thought naval replacements should work separately form ground / air things.
Basically, individual units should be paid and produced (appropriate days numbers), player should see their time to finish (percentage?) and after they are produced, they should be placed in pools (not earlier).
So naval squadrons would be not immobilized for a xxx days (even if squadrons, not entire fleets).
It's just a thought.

Or another idea: let us build individual ships and group them in squadrons (like divisions in corps), so there will be no problem with adding anything to squadron.

Return to “To End All Wars”