Metatron

Tanks in corps or not ?

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

I've been wondering if there is any upside or downside to putting tank units into corps (2 inf div + tanks). Do the tanks still activate their penetration ability if in a corps ? Has anyone experimented on the most effective variant (inside or outside corps) ?

On the other side I don't put heavy arty in corps. Any reason to actually put them into corps ? Does their range get affected by it ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences ^^
-There is safety in numbers.
-Well there is also death in numbers. It's called a massacre.

Sir Garnet

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:41 am

Good questions. I have not seen tanks in game yet. What is their effect? Special effects in the game engine normally benefit the stack or affect its opponents when fighting against it.

Tanks were used as support to help the infantry break enemy defense lines and coordination with infantry in the assault was important, but tanks would not need to be permanently attached for that battlefield effect.

Metatron

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:06 pm

They can lower the enemy entrenchment by 1 (not shown by an ability marker though).

Since they have high assault stats and very low frontage (not much else) I'm inclined to say it's not worth putting them into corps since the low frontage means they have a better chance to be engaged in battle than formations with bigger frontage. But I might be wrong.

Jim-NC

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 pm

The only reason to put heavy artillery in a corps is to lower the command point cost of the stack. I have done it once, as I felt I needed the stack at 0% penalty, so moved the artillery into the corps. That's the only reason.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Altaris

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:07 am

Well, there's another reason it's useful to have elements in the same unit. When that units targets an enemy unit in battle, the members of a unit all target elements in the same target unit. So heavy artillery in a corps will fire on the same unit the infantry, tanks, etc. do. Helps to concentrate firepower against the same target.

Regarding tanks, again it depends on how you look at it. Having the tanks reduce entrenchment on the target the infantry are going after could indeed be helpful.

Metatron

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks altaris.

Does the fact of being in a corps impact in any way the artillery ? Meaning will it still fire at it's maximum range and fire rate even paired with infantry ? If so it is indeed interesting to put them into corps to some elite corps as shock elements.

Altaris

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Putting artillery in a corps won't affect it's range or ROF, but it will cause the artillery to target the same unit the infantry is targeting. In this way it somewhat simulates creeping barrage, where the artillery is firing at the same target the infantry is advancing on.

If the artillery isn't in a corps, it will arbitrarily pick a target, though bigger units are more likely to be picked.

Metatron

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:48 pm

Thank you, very interesting.

CFF
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:45 pm

There is also the fact that when u put one unity in one corps, its power value is raised, because i think having someone in "charge" give some bonus to the unity.

Return to “To End All Wars”