Jinx
Captain

Hmm have I been running PBEM games wrong?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Hello!
I have a question for PBEM games I was wondering if some enterprising souls could help me with.
I've played a couple PBEM games on EAW, but I confess I don't quite understand what is the proper way to do it.
So I think this is the standard way, the way I've played it:

P1 did turn, emailed to P2.
P2 did turn, emailed to P3.
P3 did turn, emailed to P1.
P1 ENDED the round,
Repeat from top.

This is the way I tried to do it, but due to time constraints, the other players didn't want to do two turns in one go.

P1 did turn, emailed it to P2,
P2 did turn, emailed it to P3,
P3 did turn, ENDED the round, P3 did ANOTHER turn, emailed it to P1.
P1 did turn, emailed it to P2,
P2 did turn, ENDED the Round, P2 did ANOTHER turn, emailed it to P3.
P3 did turn, emailed it to P1,
P1 did turn, ENDED the Round, P1 did ANOTHER turn, emailed it to P2.
etc. etc. etc.

This is the way I think others may be doing it? Based on AAR I'm reading.

P1 Hosts, emails it to both P2 and P3.
P1 and P2 and P3 finish tun independently of each other.
P2 and P3 email their turn to P1.
P1 Processes turn, emails it both to P2 and P3.
etc. etc. etc.

Do all three of these ways work? Or am I completely dreaming?
Also, in the case variant 3 works, who emails what and does the host merge the files?
Thanks for your help!
Cheers!

Bertram

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

If I remember correct, you don't have to merge any files to run the turn, you just have to have an .ord file for each player. You also need to have the host file (.hst), to get the beginning conditions of the turn.

If you end the turn - not save it, but end it, so the results can be computed - the computer takes the .hst file, and the .ord files. For missing .ord files it generates an AI plan. So all three examples work - providing:
- in example 1, that P2 mailed his .ord file to P3, and P3 mailed both .ord files on to P1. (P1 can hopld the .hst file - he is the only on ewho needs it).
- in example 2, that P1 included his .ord file and the .hst file, and that P2 send these on to P3. P3 then in his turn has to send on the .hst file and the .ord files of the new turn.
- in example 3, that both P2 and P3 send the .ord file to P1, who can process them when he has both. He keeps the .hst file, as only he (P1) needs it.

I (we) used system 3 when playing Pruissia i 3 player mode.
-

Merlin
General

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:21 pm

We're using your third system in the big multiplayer PBEM.

bob.
General

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 pm

The way I like to do it is to create a Dropbox for the game and then the last player to upload his orders runs the turn. Of course, this requires everyone to have the exact same settings.

This minimizes the downtime.

Durk

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 pm

All three systems work, as does bob.'s system.
A variation I am using:
Player 1 generates files and sends files
All players make their moves and send to player 2, who runs the turn and sends files to 1 and 3
All players make their moves and send to player 3, who runs the turn and sends to 1 and 2
Then, player 1 is the host.

The nice thing about this system is every third turn you get to watch the turn unfold. Keeping track of whose turn is the major challenge.

Jinx
Captain

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:57 am

Awesome! Thanks guys! Good to know!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:20 am

Which system are you thinking of using for our game? I have only played one PBEM where I was the host (system 3). System 3 makes the most sense to me as there is ONE host who keeps track of everything... of course you need to be trustworthy enough not to "peek under the hood" at what the other players are doing... :)
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Jinx
Captain

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 am

ajarnlance wrote:Which system are you thinking of using for our game? I have only played one PBEM where I was the host (system 3). System 3 makes the most sense to me as there is ONE host who keeps track of everything... of course you need to be trustworthy enough not to "peek under the hood" at what the other players are doing... :)

I think System 3 is the way to go! Seems easy enough. I like bobs variation too with the dropbox, but maybe that's for another day.
Well its a trust based system anyways, I can always hand over the reigns too you if you want! Its not that big a deal to me. :-)
If it helps you out any, on my honor as a gentleman, I wont peek under the hood; I will save that for Mata Hari and Bolo Pasha :-)

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 am

Jinx wrote:I think System 3 is the way to go! Seems easy enough. I like bobs variation too with the dropbox, but maybe that's for another day.
Well its a trust based system anyways, I can always hand over the reigns too you if you want! Its not that big a deal to me. :-)
If it helps you out any, on my honor as a gentleman, I wont peek under the hood; I will save that for Mata Hari and Bolo Pasha :-)

Ha, ha!! Yes, Mata Hari was looking under the sheets. I trust you. I would rather lose honourably than cheat anyway. :)

PS I have drop box. If Steg. is ok with it, we can use drop box. I think you create a folder and then 'invite' us to join it... there is a post somewhere on this site (maybe CW2) that explains step by step using drop box for multiplayer.
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Whitman
Private

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 am

Oh No. I read the manual and I am know reading this thread. I take it the Password Protect technology for a PBEM game that has been around for over a decade is not used in this game!!!! You have got to be kidding me.

I just searched the Civil War thread and I believe I am seeing this over there also.

Please tell me I am completely missing the boat here.

Kensai

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:44 am

The best way is the Dropbox. I wish in one of the future titles we get an AGE-wide implementation of the Dropbox API so this is done through the game's interface.

The host is one and processes the turns. He puts each new turn (.hst) in the Dropbox. The others simply have to do their orders and upload them in the Dropbox. There is no need to alternate the hosting, actually it may give future problems if one's machine is not 100% compatible for whatever reason. There is turn replay mechanism in EAW so you shall not lose the action.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Shafty
Civilian

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 pm

I was wondering if I could ask if I am missing the exact sequence of steps if I am preparing for a two person match. Assume the HOST is the CP. 1) CP sets the battle up, 2) this creates a .hst file, 3) CP takes his turn, 3) CP Saves, 4) this creates a CP .ord file, 5) CP mails the .hst to the ENT, 6) ENT downloads the .hst and takes his turn, 7) ENT saves this turn, 8) this creates an ENT .ord file, 9) ENT mails his .ord file to the CP, 10) CP saves this to his folder [so CP has the .hst and two .ord files], 11) CP starts game and opens the scenario under the CP side, 12) CP hits END TURN. 13) Now it will be CP turn 2. 14) go back to step 3.

I did my best to figure this out by myself before I posted, this is the best I could think of. If you respond could you dumb it down for me, I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed trying to figure out some basics.

Jim-NC

Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 am

Hello,

That is the correct order of things.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shafty
Civilian

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 am

Thank you again Mr. Jim.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 am

Shafty wrote:I was wondering if I could ask if I am missing the exact sequence of steps if I am preparing for a two person match. Assume the HOST is the CP. 1) CP sets the battle up, 2) this creates a .hst file, 3) CP takes his turn, 3) CP Saves, 4) this creates a CP .ord file, 5) CP mails the .hst to the ENT, 6) ENT downloads the .hst and takes his turn, 7) ENT saves this turn, 8) this creates an ENT .ord file, 9) ENT mails his .ord file to the CP, 10) CP saves this to his folder [so CP has the .hst and two .ord files], 11) CP starts game and opens the scenario under the CP side, 12) CP hits END TURN. 13) Now it will be CP turn 2. 14) go back to step 3.

I did my best to figure this out by myself before I posted, this is the best I could think of. If you respond could you dumb it down for me, I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed trying to figure out some basics.

As part of step 5 you will also want to send the replay file (.rpl) to your opponent (his replay NOT yours!) so that he can review the turn. Good luck! EAW is a lot of fun against a human opponent(s).

Return to “To End All Wars”