Templer
General

Naval Warfare - how to improve

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:47 pm

In the feature list on the product page of To End All Wars is found: "Sieges and Naval warfare are all covered in detail in the game".

Well, you can't talk of 'detail' right now, do you?
Greetings
Templer

Templer
General

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Will the upcoming patch take care about the minesweepers?
Greetings

Templer

PhilThib

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 am

What would be your base suggestions for them?

caranorn

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am

How about an RGD you can play on a coastal region with enemy mines if you have one or minesweeper units in or adjacent to it? Probability of success influenced by the number of units present...
Marc aka Caran...

Templer
General

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 pm

PhilThib wrote:What would be your base suggestions for them?

In the Minesweeper case: a minesweeper should sweep mines!
Greetings

Templer

Shri

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

The sweeping of mines should only be successful if you control the corresponding land area, most important in BELGIUM, even after controlling the Belgian Coast the Germans cannot use the NAVAL Dockyards.
Also to an extent this can simulate the 'GALLIPOLI' campaign, initial losses will be high to mines but later on minesweepers should sweep the mines and let British Take over those regions.

caranorn

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Shri wrote:The sweeping of mines should only be successful if you control the corresponding land area, most important in BELGIUM, even after controlling the Belgian Coast the Germans cannot use the NAVAL Dockyards.
Also to an extent this can simulate the 'GALLIPOLI' campaign, initial losses will be high to mines but later on minesweepers should sweep the mines and let British Take over those regions.

Yep, was thinking along similar terms too. Maybe a compromise, the RGD I proposed with the additional requirement of a neighbouring port in control. Minesweepers would then serve a second role, slightly reducing risk of damage (haven't actually sailed a fleet into a minefield yet knowing how this went in the Dardanelles) of any friendly ships in the region (or maybe just for that stack?). That way they'd also serve an offensive role, but quite weak...
Marc aka Caran...

lycortas2
Captain

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:24 pm

I have no idea what the Phil's can do at this stage but i am going to list a number of large problems i have found.

1. The Pacific (Great Pacific i think) needs to be split in two east/west. Spee should not leave Tsingtao and be off the cost of San Fran.

2. The travel times in every off map sea box seems to be 1 day. Spee is off Falklands in 2 day tops. Needs to be much longer travel times. Goes with point one as well.

3. On map naval speed is vastly too slow. Goeben takes 12 days to get near the mouth of the Bosphorus. Way too slow.

4. Remember naval speed needs to be even slower than you might calculate. These are essentially all coal fired ships that have to refuel every few days.
One of Spee's biggest problems was figuring out where he was going to get his next coal.
I have the numbers for range for every ship in the USA, Britain, Germany, Japan and some French and Austrian ships for cruising range, coal usage etc.

I was one of the creators of the Combined Historical Scenario for War in the Pacific and had a hand in developing Admiral's Edition.

5. Spee was at Ponape at game start; i am unsure if this means he should start in the South Pacific region. Also, Nurnberg was with him, not at Honolulu any longer. AMC Prinz Eitel Friederich was with Emden and the supply convoy.

But, yeah, biggest issue is the 1 day travel times in every naval box that has to be fixed.

Mike

caranorn

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 pm

lycortas2 wrote:I have no idea what the Phil's can do at this stage but i am going to list a number of large problems i have found.

1. The Pacific (Great Pacific i think) needs to be split in two east/west. Spee should not leave Tsingtao and be off the cost of San Fran.

2. The travel times in every off map sea box seems to be 1 day. Spee is off Falklands in 2 day tops. Needs to be much longer travel times. Goes with point one as well.

3. On map naval speed is vastly too slow. Goeben takes 12 days to get near the mouth of the Bosphorus. Way too slow.

4. Remember naval speed needs to be even slower than you might calculate. These are essentially all coal fired ships that have to refuel every few days.
One of Spee's biggest problems was figuring out where he was going to get his next coal.
I have the numbers for range for every ship in the USA, Britain, Germany, Japan and some French and Austrian ships for cruising range, coal usage etc.

I was one of the creators of the Combined Historical Scenario for War in the Pacific and had a hand in developing Admiral's Edition.

5. Spee was at Ponape at game start; i am unsure if this means he should start in the South Pacific region. Also, Nurnberg was with him, not at Honolulu any longer. AMC Prinz Eitel Friederich was with Emden and the supply convoy.

But, yeah, biggest issue is the 1 day travel times in every naval box that has to be fixed.

Mike

Sounds good to me. Any suggestions on how to limit the battlefleets sailing around the world as the ai seems to be doing right now? Obviously historically doing so would have been a coaling nightmare...
Marc aka Caran...

lycortas2
Captain

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:33 pm

I have no idea what could be done within the game engine, but forcing ships to return to port every turn barring being in a blockade/shipping box with one of the 50%/66%/75% effectiveness rules being used. Can we code any ship at sea to go home every turn? And can this not be put on Subs?

Return to “To End All Wars”