daztek
Conscript

Potoriek

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:47 am

hi. it is turn 3 and I (CP) want to start promoting army commanders to GHQ rank (army group). i can't promote any German 3-star leaders (even though the 'form GHQ' icon is highlighted) without incurring a penalty, because Austrian 3-star Potoriek is the most senior general. But his 'form GHQ' icon is greyed out. He is adjacent to Belgrade. Why can't I promote him to GHQ? He is holding up all the others.

As an aside, isn't there a rank missing? Shouldn't German OHL and Austrian AOK be a rank higher than 'GHQ' (which seems to be army group)? They were not army group commands but army high commands for Germany and Austria respectively, higher than army group.

Shri

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 am

You get Hindenburg on turn 2 as Germany, promote him to GHQ
GHQ- is general headquarters, a British terminology signifying Theater Command, the French Term would be- GQG and the German would be - OberOst for the Eastern Front.

As Germany alone you get 2 GHQ
others get only 1, as Austria you have Conrad and so on turn 4 when he becomes unlocked, bring him near Belgrade and make Potoriek and Frank Army commanders.
I usually put Conrad himself in charge of one of the armies, as both these commanders are bad and then use EUGEN to become commander of the other army if Eugen comes in the first lot. (usually doesn't)

Kensai

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:31 am

That message is indeed misleading, daztek: not only you cannot promote to GHQ a second Austrian General, there is no penalty either if you don't. As Germany you can promote von Prittwitz (8th Army) right from the second turn. He will be substituted by Hindenburg soon though. Falkenhayn will take over from Moltke in the West as well (but you don't need to do anything there).
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Shri

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Promoting Prittwitz may make you lose NM i guess, as he will be replaced soon.

daztek
Conscript

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:34 am

Does this mean there is no army group (heeresgruppe) HQ command in TEAW?

OHL, Ober Ost and AOK (incorrectly called KuK in TEAW) are the only commands above army HQs??

Altaris

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:39 am

For Germany and Austria, yes, this is correct. Ottomans will have a GHQ as well when they enter the war.

daztek
Conscript

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 am

That's an accuracy problem isn't it. In 1918 there were 4 German heeresgruppen on the Western Front which reported direct to OHL and commanded 13 armies between them. There were Austrian and German heeresgruppen / heeresfronten on the Italian front and Balkan fronts.

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:17 am

daztek wrote:That's an accuracy problem isn't it. In 1918 there were 4 German heeresgruppen on the Western Front which reported direct to OHL and commanded 13 armies between them. There were Austrian and German heeresgruppen / heeresfronten on the Italian front and Balkan fronts.

And the Russian fronts from the start. But I got some inane answer when I brought that up.

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:18 am

Altaris wrote:For Germany and Austria, yes, this is correct. Ottomans will have a GHQ as well when they enter the war.

If I understood correctly, all the "majors" can have GHQs. This means (apart from the initial protagonists): Italians, Ottomans, Americans.

However, what I really want to see is the ability to attach armies to allied nations' GHQs. This is historically accurate as well. The Americans in the end accepted the supremacy of the French Foch. Could that be abstracted in the game by setting the American 3-star General (Pershing in the game, no others are available, perhaps later if promoted) as an Army attached to the French GHQ? That would be ideal, even if this means the attached Army gets a small CP (or other) penalty to abstract the "foreign" command.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

PJJ
Captain

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:06 am

One of the odd things about how the system works in EAW is the lack of historical army groups. In real life, most countries had them, the Russians right from the beginning in the form of Fronts. I think the way it now works in EAW is rather clumsy and far from historically accurate. In my opinion, the system of GHQs and armies is not very user friendly or logical in EAW.

caranorn

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:24 am

Might have been better to have included the historic army groups in the chain of command rather than the GHQs. That is Army Groups in charge of Armies. Turn GHQ commanders into 4-stars (possible in Age-Engine) with special CiC functions above those used currently. But that was a obviously a design decision and I'm more or less okay with that...
Marc aka Caran...

bgt0990
Conscript

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:45 pm

The problem I have is that when I go to make a second German GHQ it looks at the Austrian chain of seniority as well as the German. I can't make a second GHQ without taking a penalty because Austrian 3-star Potoriek is the most senior general. Austrian generals should not be part of the German seniority chain.

bgt0990
Conscript

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:57 pm

One other thing. I can't find a way in the filters\tables to figure out what the seniority of the generals are. It seems you have to go to the actual general and try to promote him to find out that you will anger so & so by this promotion. But wait! the worst is yet to come. It is only showing you the general next in the seniority chain not the most senior general that you should be promoting. Does one have to physically go to each general to figure out who has the most seniority? This is not the way previous Ageod games worked.

caranorn

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 am

bgt0990 wrote:The problem I have is that when I go to make a second German GHQ it looks at the Austrian chain of seniority as well as the German. I can't make a second GHQ without taking a penalty because Austrian 3-star Potoriek is the most senior general. Austrian generals should not be part of the German seniority chain.

Don't worry about iut, seems there is no actual penalty in this exact case (Austro-Hungarian General senior to a German one you give German GHQ to)...
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “To End All Wars”