Doctor Haider
Private

Regiments or brigades?

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

As I can see from the infantry corps and division composition, the actual infantry elements used at the start of the war are actually brigades (2 in division, 4 in corps) and they are named "brigades" in the tooltip. But all elements have historical names of regiments, not brigades! Not a big issue, but a bit strange from the historical accuracy point of view. Why were brigades used as a base elements, not actual regiments?

Shri

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

A Brigade is 2 regiments, so 2 brigades is 4 regiments and a corps of 2 divisions is 8 regiments, now add artillery (intrinsic artillery for division) + medium artillery (representing corps level artillery) = 12 elements or so, too much to handle; hence- i think the conscious focus by the DEVS.

Doctor Haider
Private

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

Aagh, it's the 10 elements limit, understood.

caranorn

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am

Nope, that limit could easily have been upped (it's different in different games using the division/brigade/corps system, note in EAW it even still has a very high unit per corps limit but the low element per corps limit). The reason I expect is that that the game might slow down were one to roughly double the number of land elements used. None of that excuses using regiment ID's for those brigades (worse, several battalion ID's for the British), even worse when you look at artillery and cavalry. Essentially all elements need renaming, though I wouldn't make that a priority...

I'm currently on the fence whether the design decision to go with brigades was a good one or not. In 1914 it works well as a simplification, later in the war it doesn't work at all as it cannot represent the transformation from square to triangular divisions. For some countries it's also a bit hard (Belgium's 3 brigades of 2 regiments system, Britain's 3 brigades of 4 battalions system etc.)...
Marc aka Caran...

Doctor Haider
Private

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Indeed, the game should, in theory, reflect the shift made during the Great War in the formation structures with less numeric size of divisions at the end of the war but with much improved firepower and diverse structure of low-level elemets with more machinegun, mortar, engineer, stormtrupper elements rather than pure infantry units.

The Lev
Sergeant

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:16 pm

Ideally, if processing power wasn't an issue we'd have Britain using battallions, and pretty everyone else using regiments or battallions too-but the brigade system has merit. If anything the brigade system ought to be accepted more fully, rather than having two regiments of infantry we'd actually have two brigades-although that's more of a cosmetic measure, partially because the OOB at regimental level is a mess-despite everything from division upwards being meticulously accurate (so far as i can tell).

Its a good point about the triangulation of units, it would be one hell of an event-as you'd either get every Brigade/Regiment losing some power in return for a whole load of replacements (and have to build the new units), or a coding that would somewhat accurately create the new divisions in relation to the existing divisions. With Mortars and Engineers we could just see units representing them, while Stormtrooper seems fitting to an upgrade or generals with the training officer skill. Machinegun units have been long discussed on the RuS forums, and both sets of arguments hold their own rather well, yet if, unlike RuS we are talking at Brigade level MG units fall into the same category as Battallions-interesting addition, but too in-depth for this kind of scope

I guess what I'm saying is, the current system has merit

Searry
Colonel

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm

I like the current system. Having too many elements just complicates things.
With my meticulous way of playing the game, checking the strenght of divisions and corps' would take even more if the number of elements were upped.

Return to “To End All Wars”