James D Burns

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:40 pm

If changing MTSG as programmed is a code change issue and not likely to be looked at due to EAW being considered a scenario of the game engine and most tiles using the engine will not need this change so it isn’t feasible to do for just one title, perhaps another solution can be looked at.

Is it possible to set it up so only 3 star and above leaders get called to MTSG? So players could then create a front trench line of two star Corp commanders and the 3 star armies could be placed behind the lines to act as reserves? Not great I admit but workable and better than what we have now.

Jim

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm

James D Burns wrote:If changing MTSG as programmed is a code change issue and not likely to be looked at due to EAW being considered a scenario of the game engine and most tiles using the engine will not need this change so it isn’t feasible to do for just one title, perhaps another solution can be looked at.

You're probably right, though I hope there's a way to improve the code.

Is it possible to set it up so only 3 star and above leaders get called to MTSG? So players could then create a front trench line of two star Corp commanders and the 3 star armies could be placed behind the lines to act as reserves? Not great I admit but workable and better than what we have now.

That's a good suggestion.

Tamas

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:55 pm

James D Burns wrote:If changing MTSG as programmed is a code change issue and not likely to be looked at due to EAW being considered a scenario of the game engine and most tiles using the engine will not need this change so it isn’t feasible to do for just one title, perhaps another solution can be looked at.

Our intention has been to make EAW the best possible WW1 simulation in itself, it is not a "scenario" of previous iterations of the engine and is not limited by those. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Tamas wrote:Our intention has been to make EAW the best possible WW1 simulation in itself, it is not a "scenario" of previous iterations of the engine and is not limited by those. :)

Great to hear. EAW is a very good game as is - I think the best on release of any AGEOD game. But WWI is a tough animal to simulate - which is one reason why there are 50 WWII titles on the market for every WWI game. And the transition from mobile to trench warfare is especially difficult. I do think that tinkering with how reserves operate is the best option.

Highlandcharge

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:48 pm

I agree EAW is very good as is, I really dont see anything wrong with using the evade button with the activation rule off.... its seems logical to me...

Lindi
General

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 am

maybe only need to have evade option up same when officer is not actived.

Highlandcharge

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 am

Good idea Lindi, I wonder if anybody from ageod can tell us if this is possible in the game engine...

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:29 am

Highlandcharge wrote:I agree EAW is very good as is, I really dont see anything wrong with using the evade button with the activation rule off.... its seems logical to me...

It works but it means you lose the effects of the activation feature across the rest of the game. You've done great work in finding a fix - but it is just a temporary fix, not a solution. We shouldn't have to turn off a game feature to fix a game problem.

Ebbingford

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 am

In theory I think it should work like this, especially when playing the veteran option. On veteran level the generals always appear active so you can give them the evade order. When the turn processes and they either activate or not, then it shouldn't make any difference if an unactivated general can't MTSG. If he is active he obeys the evade combat command and doesn't MTSG. If he is inactive then he can't MTSG anyway. On other settings it still works. If he is inactive at the start of the turn when you are giving orders he remains like that for that turn, he won't therefore MTSG. If he is active you give him the evade order and he doesn't MTSG.
This hinches on MTSG only occurring if a leader is active though. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I would have thought it should be.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 am

Ebbingford wrote:In theory I think it should work like this, especially when playing the veteran option. On veteran level the generals always appear active so you can give them the evade order. When the turn processes and they either activate or not, then it shouldn't make any difference if an unactivated general can't MTSG. If he is active he obeys the evade combat command and doesn't MTSG. If he is inactive then he can't MTSG anyway. On other settings it still works. If he is inactive at the start of the turn when you are giving orders he remains like that for that turn, he won't therefore MTSG. If he is active you give him the evade order and he doesn't MTSG.
This hinches on MTSG only occurring if a leader is active though. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I would have thought it should be.

Part of the problem is that MTSG serves somewhat different purposes depending whether you are attacking or defending. If attacking, you usually want to have all your units bounce between as many fights as they can during the two-week turn so you can keep your offensive going. MTSG works pretty well there.

But on the defensive, holding your line may be more important than dominating a particular point, and having all your units converge might not be your best option. For example, you might prefer to lose a single province temporarily rather than running the risk of blowing up your whole front trying to defend that one spot. The MTSG mechanic, as currently modeled, doesn't really give you that option.

Seems to me to me it makes far more sense to let the player turn MSTG on or off by unit. That would give you better control, particularly on defense.

Highlandcharge

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 am

Hi Fred, me Lindi and Ebbingford are playing a pbem game with the activation option set to veteran, so we should be able to set all generals we dont want MTSG to evade combat, inactive generals should I think not MTSG anyway so it could work out... If it works that means you can have activation and use the evade combat button to good effect...

Im sure the ageod guys are looking at the problem and will come up with something :)

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:26 am

Highlandcharge wrote:Hi Fred, me Lindi and Ebbingford are playing a pbem game with the activation option set to veteran, so we should be able to set all generals we dont want MTSG to evade combat, inactive generals should I think not MTSG anyway so it could work out... If it works that means you can have activation and use the evade combat button to good effect...

Im sure the ageod guys are looking at the problem and will come up with something :)

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

Highlandcharge

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 am

Will do :)

Return to “To End All Wars”