Colonel

Testing for signs of life

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Doing just that.

Pocus

Re: Testing for signs of life

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

in EAW in particular or at Ageod?

We are still definitively alive, even if things are going slow in public, they are progressing well internally. WSS is due for Spring and we are really doing nice progress on our new game and engine (release in 2018!)

epaminondas
Colonel

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Both, but if I had to pick one over the other I'd plug for AGEOD. I'm still wringing some enjoyment out of EAW but it's really hard going, and short of the kind of rebuild Altaris has described in his mod I figure the system has pretty much strangled the poor thing. AGEOD, on the other hand, continues to excite with it's innovative approach and it's willingness to embrace complexity as a virtue.

As I've noted elsewhere, this is the first AGEOD game that has truly disappointed me and I still prize it's Civil War progenitor as one of the best games I've ever layed mind on.

Durk

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:33 am

In my view, this is the most comprehensive and accurate game of the Great War. It is really complex and a challenge to play well.
I wonder what might be the cause of your disappointment. The political and command and control are so well done.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:27 pm

I don't want to trash the game with repetitions of the complaints I've lodged in earlier posts, Durk, because I agree that it's unarguably the most comprehensive treatment of the WWI that I've come across, and in many respects the most accurate. But it's also virtually impossible to play in any informed manner. So many aspects of play are entirely unexplained in the manual that almost every time out of the gate I find some new element or aspect that can only be grasped after extensive play-testing of my own. That's interesting but not enjoyable. On top of that there are the limitations imposed by "shortcuts" and fudges imposed by the ACW game base that seriously detract from the "authenticity" of the game (e.g. the theatre command restrictions).

I give it full credit for it's ambition but in my view it's simply not playable at the level I'd come to expect from AGEOD.

Return to “To End All Wars”