Philippe
AGEod Veteran

A question about Steam patches.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:59 pm

In the past some people resisted Steam because patches came very late if at all.

Over time this has changed, to the point that Paradox now only uses the Steam version for some of their games, and as a result patching is automatic and painless. The only question that ever presents itself is whether to opt into betas or not, and once you're learned the ins and outs of the system that is pretty simple as well.

At the other end of the spectrum, I've had to suffer through a couple of other developers who just didn't seem to get the knack for how updates and/or DLC worked in Steam. They eventually got their act together (and I'm not naming names because I like their products), but they looked pretty unprofessional while they were at it. Not understanding how to use Steam correctly is a great way for a developer to damage his brand in front of a very large audience.

So with all that being said, I'm wondering whether it's better to have the Steam or the non-Steam version of the game installed.

My only experience with Ageod and Steam is Rise of Prussia, but I've been too busy to install the Steam version to compare it to the non-Steam version. I suppose that would be a good test, as there are patches and possibly hotfixes available on that one. It would be interesting to see if everything shows up in the Steam version.

So let me simply ask the question: how will Steam support work relative to non-Steam support? Will you release patches and hotfixes first for the non-Steam version, and then convert the patches to Steam-compatible versions ? And if so, what do you anticipate the delay to be between the two releases?

Few people have the hard drive space to have both versions on their computers, so which version should be considered the main one, and which the back-up?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Philippe wrote: other developers who just didn't seem to get the knack for how updates and/or DLC worked in Steam. They eventually got their act together, but they looked pretty unprofessional while they were at it. Not understanding how to use Steam correctly is a great way for a developer to damage his brand in front of a very large audience.

Steam users are so dependent from it, that they never blame it (Stockholm syndrom).
It is Steam which is not professional:
Steam devs don't even know how to download an already released patch and integer it in their beloved DRM...

Kensai

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Steam has (or at least had in the past) certain limitations that could have been incompatible with how certain developers updated their games. For example, if I recall correctly, in the past it was prohibited for the Steam updater to uninstall folders. I think I remember this from PON and some kind of strange folder that was appearing.

I don't think the Philippes will have any problems updating their games now. A long time has passed since ROP and PON. Be faithful that the Steam updates will come almost immediately after being released here.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 pm

ERISS wrote:Steam users are so dependent from it, that they never blame it (Stockholm syndrom).
It is Steam which is not professional:
Steam devs don't even know how to download an already released patch and integer it in their beloved DRM...

From everything I've seen, God help you if you have serious problems with anything and have to go to Steam for support.

I like using Steam as a place for warehousing my games, but I don't like buying directly from them. Most of my Steam games come from Gamersgate, whose customer support has always been very responsive, helpful, and coherent.

Part of Steam's public relations problem may be attributable to burn-out from dealing with their customer base. Judging from what I've read in their forums, the mentality of their customer base is worse than what you'll find at the Paradox forums.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 pm

I've never had to deal with Tech Support on Steam. Any issues I've had have been resolved via google search.

Regarding patching, it might prove to be a hassle, since it auto-updates by default (you can change it though,) and older saves may all of a sudden be unplayable.
I prefer Steam mostly because I hate spreading my credit card info to too many retailers. And yes, I know Steam is a much better target for hackers, but they also can afford top notch security.

Respenus

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm

le Anders wrote:I prefer Steam mostly because I hate spreading my credit card info to too many retailers. And yes, I know Steam is a much better target for hackers, but they also can afford top notch security.

While they don't offer newer AAA games, GOG.com doesn't store any data at all, except your account username and password. I just wish Slitherine would finally start selling their games there. The community there has plenty of old strategy games lovers and they would certainly present a rich customer base.

Palpat
Colonel

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:49 am

I concurr, GOG is an excellent retailler. Been with them from day 1 and never a problem.

Return to “To End All Wars”