vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: The latest patch has greatly imporved the game.

Fri May 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Jim,

I am wondering if you installed the fix for force pools that Loki100 referred to above.

I started a new game as Russia using that fix, and the problem you have been describing did not seem to appear, even seven years into the game. The number of Corps, divisions, and brigades I could build as Russia remained strictly limited, and only increased when I was able to suddenly build two light infantry corps. There has been no change in tech, I still do not have rifle muskets, so maybe that is the key.

I did fight a big Chinese stack around Vladivostock, but that stack was in no way comparable to the size of the stacks you ran into. Of course, you were fighting in the heartland of China, not the fringes.

Unfortunately, I deleted the Russian game by error.

But, I am going to start a game as England, with Loki's fix installed, and see if I run into the same situation with the Indian divisions.

Thanks for your detailed reporting on this issue, and I very much enjoyed reading about your epic battle in Canton.

Best,

Vaalen

James D Burns

Fri May 26, 2017 4:33 pm

vaalen wrote:I am wondering if you installed the fix for force pools that Loki100 referred to above.

Nope, I simply added the patch and then the quickfix update, took almost 40 min to install both those files, so I was rarin to go. Since then I see there is an issue with replacement chits that needs fixing (mine are immortal) and now Loki's fix. I'll do those eventually, but looking over Loki's fix it only seems to reduce the size of the force pool stacks. I don't see anything in there that would effect this issue with techs I don't think, but I'm no coder.

vaalen wrote:But, I am going to start a game as England, with Loki's fix installed, and see if I run into the same situation with the Indian divisions.

It's not just them, all units are refreshing, except the guards corps. The Brits, the Scots, the African troops, you name it, as soon as an on map unit upgrades I can build another older tech unit which upgrades and then another older tech unit and on and on forever.

Of course I haven't built a unit of every type yet, so there may be other units that don't refresh. Mainly I've built inf brigades and divisions since Britain needs to cover so much undefended stuff in the early game. The only corps I've built thus far are the guards corps. Next time I run turns I'll try the other types of corps to see if they refresh.

Jim

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Jim, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I ran into the immortal replacement bug, and was able to fix it by deleting some files that regenerated as suggested by Random.

Come to think of it, I ran into the same situation you describe in my last game as France, when I could build any number of colonial, or French Foreign Legion, or divisions or brigades, due to the exact mechanic you describe. For example, the limit for the legion was one brigade, but I could build a new legion brigade every turn.

However, I did not run into this after installing Lokis fix, though I only played as the Russians after that.

I will hopefully get going on my new game as England, and I will watch this problem most carefully, and will report back here on the results. The problem could still exist, but in that case I will have the chance to fight the Chinese hordes over Hong Kong. That sounds like such a challenge that i will declare war on them if they do not attack me, just so have the experience. Of course, I may build a fort and a number of depots and put in a powerful garrison, then see if their hordes can storm a heavily defended mountain hex, with its limited frontage. Either way, I win.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:15 pm

I have gotten a couple of years into my new British game, and it looks like Loki's quick fix has fixed the force pool problem, even with Indian units. I cannot tell about the Chinese, but I have not seen any huge Chinese armies yet.

I built two British light infantry corps, when there were only two available, and now, a number of turns later, the number available remains at zero, where it should be.

I built a lot of indian units, especially Indian colonial brigades, and an infantry division.

The units in the force pool do not refresh, with Loki's quick fix installed.

For example the number of Indian colonial brigades on the map at one point was twenty, and ten more were allowed. I built five, over a number of turns, and now the number showing on the map is twenty five, and I can build only five more.

As to Great Britain, and India, Loki's quick fix works perfectly, as it did in my Russian game as well.

James D Burns

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:43 am

Have you gone through the massive upgrade phase? This didn't start happening to me until after I went through the turns with almost endless lists of units upgrading being announced in the text area.

If I had to guess I'd say it started around 1853-1854. I know by 1855 when I landed in China it was well underway and had been for some time.

Edit: And if you've fixed your immortal chit issue, you'll need hundreds of chits to burn through, as units won't reappear in the build pool until after the on map unit finishes all its upgrades.

Jim

Pocus

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

A new official version (that groups all fixes past 1.04.0 official) is under QA testing, nothing new for people having played the public beta, but it is nice for all others people.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 pm

[quote="James D Burns"]Have you gone through the massive upgrade phase? This didn't start happening to me until after I went through the turns with almost endless lists of units upgrading being announced in the text area.

If I had to guess I'd say it started around 1853-1854. I know by 1855 when I landed in China it was well underway and had been for some time.

Edit: And if you've fixed your immortal chit issue, you'll need hundreds of chits to burn through, as units won't reappear in the build pool until after the on map unit finishes all its upgrades. quote.

No, I have not gone through the massive upgrade phase yet. Given your experience, I will have to wait until I do to see if Loki''s changes did fix the problem. I am researching Muzzle Loading Rifles on an expedited basis, and I think that said tech will trigger the upgrade.

Yes, and I have fixed the immortal chit issue, and I have learned the hard way in other games that a lot of chits will be needed. I will report on what happens once the upgrades are all finished and I can see what units are available.
Thanks for your input, it really helps!

Vaalen

V for Vegas
Corporal

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Nice to see 1.04.5 just hit Steam.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Pocus wrote:A new official version (that groups all fixes past 1.04.0 official) is under QA testing, nothing new for people having played the public beta, but it is nice for all others people.

A new official patch was released today. Would those of us who installed the latest beta benefit from installing it?

If so, would those of us who have the Gamersgate version be able to install it, without a Matrix serial number?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

To the first part --- yes. The change log rather understates the work the work in the .exe.

To the second not sure - I installed it easily enough over a GG download

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 pm

loki100 wrote:To the first part --- yes. The change log rather understates the work the work in the .exe.

To the second not sure - I installed it easily enough over a GG download

Thanks, Loki. Good to know that it works for those of us who have the GG download.

And thanks again for all you have contributed to the patch.

Return to “Help improve PON”