challerain
Civilian

Re: PON official quickfix 1.04.3

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 pm

Is this quick fix going to be uploaded to Steam? Steam is still showing 1.04.2.

Durk

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 am

I know nothing about Steam. You can get it here, but otherwise I am ignorant.

Siegfroh
Major

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:28 am

Unfortunately, I can't help with Steam either.

As for the game, a question. As Prussia, I conquered the last province of the Netherlands. Up to now, my national moral was increasing and decreasing by 1 or 2 per round.

The conquest of the Netherlands brought a boost of 300 ! It seems there is a cap at 200, and as the level is so high, it returns toward 100 in steps of 10.

Is this intended ? To me, the boost of 300 seems to be quite out of proportion.

Zwischenablage01.jpg
Zwischenablage01.jpg (158.5 KiB) Viewed 17828 times

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Quick question: Is this 1.04.3 patch save game compatible? I'm in 1857 with my Prussia game with 1.04.2 and I don't want to have to start over!!!

MJ

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Also, it seems to me that some Prussian "German unification" events haven't been firing properly, or at least in the time they are supposed to. Is this due to possible bugs with Prussia in 1.04.2???

I wondered if you might know, Siegfroh...

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:42 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Also, it seems to me that some Prussian "German unification" events haven't been firing properly, or at least in the time they are supposed to. Is this due to possible bugs with Prussia in 1.04.2???

I wondered if you might know, Siegfroh...

could you identify the ones that are not working - would help to identify if this is part of the random element or potentially breaking the unification chain.

I removed the hard link between taking Schleswig-Holstein and the French events leading up to 1870 (as that was tripping up the AI) and if I recall Austria can back down and that doesn't alter the French events either

Siegfroh
Major

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:46 pm

In my Prussian game, I have reached January 1858 by now (started it with 1.04.3, so I can't tell about savegame comatibility). The only unification events I encountered so far, are the unification cards, and the Northern German Zollverein event. There should be more around 1864, 1866 and 1870, I hope ...

There hasn't been a Crimean War yet.

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Okay. Thanks, Siegfroh. Then my game may be normal. I had the Zollervein event early on and chose the historical route. I've also had the usual cards. What needs to happen to form the NGF? And when it that supposed to happen? Which German minors do you need to have a pledge of unity from? I guess I still have confusion about this, which may be my problem. The game might be WAD.

MJ

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 am

Siegfroh wrote:In my Prussian game, I have reached January 1858 by now (started it with 1.04.3, so I can't tell about savegame comatibility). The only unification events I encountered so far, are the unification cards, and the Northern German Zollverein event. There should be more around 1864, 1866 and 1870, I hope ...

There hasn't been a Crimean War yet.

on the subject of testing events, we tried to rework the US Civil War event so as to trigger the arrival of the CSA armies - these weren't appearing originally.

if you get a turn when the civil war triggers .. and it often does in 1859 - would you be prepared to share the save so can have a check and perhaps refine the event. May as well look at this more tricky ones while there is still a chance to get the results into the official game.

What do you mean about no Crimean War? Most games seem to see it now so would like to look at that too if there is still a viable save. Also could you look at India - it should now be all UK controlled post-mutiny not the patchwork that was occuring originally.

thanks

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:28 am

It seems you cannot add savegames any more in this forum ("file is too big"), but I have uploaded my current savegame (January 1858, 3 MB) here:

http://demi-brigade.org/Borussia.zip

I hope you can load it. I have changed a lot of German unit and model files, but left all the rest unaltered.

No Crimean War means that from the beginning of my game, Russia has been at war with Turkey nearly all the time (even re-declaring war after a peace without waiting for one year, and I believe to have seen - but I might be wrong on this - messages that Russia was declaring war on Turkey while there was already a war between Russia and Turkey going on). On the other hand, Britain did never declare war on Turkey, and France has been at peace with the world all the time.

India is (for its biggest part) all red in January 1858:
Bharat.jpg
Bharat.jpg (849.46 KiB) Viewed 17725 times

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 pm

thanks for the save - I''l have a look.

india looks a lot 'better' but I'll revisit the event, I think it shoud all have been converted back to British control.

I'm not sure if the Crimean war is invalidated if there is an existing war. If the current tendency to war is going to be toned down there is no point to adding an additional test (ie more processing demand) to ensure it happens in any case. If we are going to have to deal with more regular wars (a pity in my opinion), its feasible to add some additional tests.

Even so, Britain and France can leave the Turks to their fate - but the most likely outcome is a war, even if its not prosecuted with any vigour.

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Not that you need it, but I can concur with the Crimean War not happening in my game, either (just started 1858). Both Russia and Austria have been at the Ottoman's throats for most the game...especially Russia. It's been non-stop war, essentially.

As for India, the Mughalistan forces have taken a large chunk of northwestern India from the Brits, who are fighting them now.

MJ

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm

ok, its clearly not firing if there is a war in place. Lets see if Pocus can calm down the diplo AI in the next patch so that wars return to being relatively rare - esp early game. If not, I think I can add something that will trigger the Crimean events even if there is an existing war.

Need to be a bit careful as I recall the engine has problems with multiple wars between the same states - especially when one is for a pre-determined period so its a case of playing around to see if the best solution is to impose a peace and then create the Crimean events or simply use them to potentially add the UK/France to an existing conflict.

good thing is it is a dead-end event chain, nothing is essential for later Balkan events, but its of course a very important early game milestone so best to get working more securely.

Siegfroh
Major

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:44 pm

I think it is more and more time for a new patch.

Two missing strings:
Zwischenablage01.jpg
Zwischenablage01.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 17628 times

Siegfroh
Major

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:10 am

Playing as Prussia, I now own two colonies, due to a peace treaty with the Netherlands.

Both have an SOI of -5 for me. However, this doesn't seem to be reflected in loss of prestige (it wasn't in the last two turns):
Zwischenablage02.jpg
Zwischenablage02.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 17610 times

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 pm

By the way, Siegfroh, do you know how to give yourself, as Prussia, access to all the colonial decisions early? I assume you have done that...

I saw someone else post an AAR where they had done that as Prussia. I would love to know how, too, if you or anyone else knows...

Thanks!

MJ

Siegfroh
Major

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:41 pm

MJ, I am playing with the colonial restrictions, but tried to answer your question here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=250&p=389404

As for something to patch in the game engine: in my current war with Russia, Russian train units are besieging my fortresses in Köln and Königsberg. Just one train unit each, without any accompanying fighting troops. And I don't know how the one Russian train unit managed to come so far to the west to lay siege on Köln.
please, open the gate, we have got bread for you.jpg
please, open the gate, we have got bread for you.jpg (365.79 KiB) Viewed 17593 times

Siegfroh
Major

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:26 pm

missing string:
Zwischenablage03.jpg
Zwischenablage03.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 17583 times

Siegfroh
Major

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Can someone explain this ?

Playing as Prussia I am allied with the cruel Bavarians, who own the Pfalz region. A revolt takes place, but the only result is that suddenly a new light cavalry brigade of Prussia appears there. This cavalry brigade is an integral part of the Prussian army and can be moved by me everywhere.

There are no rebels in this region, Bavaria has got a small garrison in Mainz. I don't think it is correct that rebels are transformed in regular troops of an allied nation.
revolt against logic.jpg
revolt against logic.jpg (317.77 KiB) Viewed 17551 times

Siegfroh
Major

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:46 pm

As Russia was pressing hard on me in the current war, I declared a general mobilisation.

Württemberg and Bavaria are my allies, but still it doesn't feel right that I am mobilising troops in their capitals !
mobilising allies.jpg
mobilising allies.jpg (392.38 KiB) Viewed 17549 times

Siegfroh
Major

This is a severe bug

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 pm

In my current game, playing as Prussia, my ally Austria has declared a mobilisation. Here what their armies looks like:
Zwischenablage06.jpg
Zwischenablage06.jpg (799.99 KiB) Viewed 17547 times

In 1858, they can't already possess infantry of the 1870+ pattern. Something works wrong !!

The other infantry units of the Austrian army are formed from the 1850-1870 infantry elements, except the expedition units, which also are of the 1870+ pattern. This must be fixed, as it is debalancing the game. Currently, Austria is flooding eastern Europe with these reserve corps:
Zwischenablage07.jpg
Zwischenablage07.jpg (713.81 KiB) Viewed 17547 times

PS. Just noticed: Prussian reserve regiments which are created through mobilisation, are of the 1870+ pattern as well. Those recruited normally, through the military submode, are also of the 1870+ pattern.

PPS. I had a look at the unit and model folders. It seems, there are no pre-1870 pattern reserve units and elements defined (I checked only GER and AUS). The easiest solution would be to alter the research tree, so that the tech "Reserve Formations" can be researched only after the necessary tech for getting the 1870+ infantry has been discovered.

For the expeditionary infantry, also for Prussia the 1870+ pattern models will be recruited. I don't know the reason why. In the beginnig of the game (January 1850), the expeditionary infantry was of the simple 1850 pattern. Is there a mistake somewhere in the tech-upgrading procedures for the expeditionary infantry elements ?
Last edited by Siegfroh on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pocus

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 am

These are database issues and outside my skills as a developer. Either one of the design team guy find sometime to fix the DB or a volunteer propose a mod of sort. Sorry can't do more at this stage for PON.

Siegfroh
Major

This is still a severe bug

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Pocus wrote:Either one of the design team guy find sometime to fix the DB or a volunteer propose a mod of sort..

Smile, I had expected an answer like this:

"The man in the design team who is responsible for this bug has been informed immediately, and he is already working hard on a solution."

And, by the way, will the other errors and glitches pointed out in this thread be patched ?

I won't continue playing until a new patch is out, but others who do and come accross mistakes and bugs, might like to know whether it is worth the time to point them out them here.

Pocus

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20 am

Things which are about data (upgrades) can't be done by me. Minor bugs (like a free mobilized corps in an ally territory) won't either. I can fix interfaces problems (missing strings) or major bugs, and will, but at this stage PON is pretty much done when it comes to 'improvements' or 'minor, non crashing, bugs'.

Siegfroh
Major

Severe bugs need to be fixed

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Pocus wrote:Things which are about data (upgrades) can't be done by me.

I understood this. I don't know how Paradox-Ageod-Slitherine is organised, but I would assume that for every game that is still sold, there is someone who is responsible for it, and who knows whom to ask within the company to make patches. You can do the interface and game engine, someone else should be able to correct data and scripts.

If the game works in the sense that something is moving on the screen and it doesn't crash, but still lacks in ingame logic (advanced military available before their weapons are invented), in my eyes that is not good enough.

But maybe it is for other players and potential customers.

And since patch 1.04.3 a lot of minor nuisances have accumulated, listed in this thread (since 28 October). For example, playing as Japan or the USA, currently players are still not able to declare war on anybody. Of course, no customer is forced to play Japan or the USA, or, if he does, to chose the path of international aggression.

PS. That's just my personal opinion, of course I am OK if you feel that PON is "pretty much done".

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Severe bugs need to be fixed

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Siegfroh wrote:...
I understood this. I don't know how Paradox-Ageod-Slitherine is organised, but I would assume that for every game that is still sold, there is someone who is responsible for it, and who knows whom to ask within the company to make patches. You can do the interface and game engine, someone else should be able to correct data and scripts.

If the game works in the sense that something is moving on the screen and it doesn't crash, but still lacks in ingame logic (advanced military available before their weapons are invented), in my eyes that is not good enough.

But maybe it is for other players and potential customers.

And since patch 1.04.3 a lot of minor nuisances have accumulated, listed in this thread (since 28 October). For example, playing as Japan or the USA, currently players are still not able to declare war on anybody. Of course, no customer is forced to play Japan or the USA, or, if he does, to chose the path of international aggression.

PS. That's just my personal opinion, of course I am OK if you feel that PON is "pretty much done".

I realise you have the same rights to complain as anyone but think you are overdoing it a bit. All the work that went into 1.04 was done for free and in spare time (and that includes the time allocated by the Phils).

The game will never (and I say this with deep regret) get developed to the potential it has - since it is the most sublime game I have ever played I truely regret that assumption but it doesn't change it.

The developers have a big choice as to whether PoN's diplomatic engine can be rebalanced to cope with the WoN concepts - it maybe that we end up with a pragmatic solution to bridge a gap that probably needs a lot of testing. If that stops early game wars being triggered by the US or Japan at least its historically realistic and a player always has a simple solution.

But I just don't find snippy posts all that helpful, I'd suggest contribute rather than carry on this way but its really up to you.

Siegfroh
Major

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Just in case one day someone cares to make this game playable, here my gift.

The easiest way to repair the reserve formations bug described before, is to change the Pride of Nations\VGN\GameData\Research\305-RI_Reserve_Formations.res file.

Change the Iine

RIMustMaster = $RI_Military_Organisation|$RI_Dreyse_Needle_Gun

to

RIMustMaster = $RI_Military_Organisation|$RI_Breech_Loaded_Rifles

and the research of reserve formations will only be possible after the units created through mobilisation are already available in the game.

For the rest, the strange Victory Point and National Moral points allocation, and the minor stuff, I don't know how to do it.

For myself, I see no point in going on playing and collecting info on bugs, as it seems I am the only player who is unhappy with the current state of the game, and some other players become unhappy if I express these feelings. And I lost my hope this game will ever become more than an interim arrangement.

loki100 wrote:All the work that went into 1.04 was done for free and in spare time (and that includes the time allocated by the Phils).

A company which is still selling (making money with) the game, forces their employees to do the necessary amendments for free ? :bonk:

Durk

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:11 am

I think, Siegfroh, you do not understand the scope of the players who enjoy this game. PON is, perhaps, the most complex military/economic game available. Players understand that this means many glitches, but none of them are fatal to game play.
Those who understand how to mod these games make small adjustments.
Those of us who do not know very much about modding, just enjoy the complexity of the game and find workarounds for the small problems.
I appreciate you notice of issues you find, but these are not issues which are game breakers. Learn to mod and help to improve the game would be my suggestion.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:35 am

Siegfroh wrote:....

loki100 wrote:All the work that went into 1.04 was done for free and in spare time (and that includes the time allocated by the Phils).

A company which is still selling (making money with) the game, forces their employees to do the necessary amendments for free ? :bonk:

No - this is a wilful misunderstanding and beyond just identifying issues you believe should be at the head of the list of points to resolve.

PoN was fatally undermined before/at release by Paradox. I personally do not think that was an accident but is ancient history and the damage long done.

Practically there is no funding for its further development, if AGEOD worked purely on a commercial basis one of the 1.03 patches would have been the end. Instead they allowed the community to work on the events and turned that into an official patch and then added new code to see if they could improve the diplomatic engine.

There are plenty of games for sale that are long past their active development process. So that the game is still sold has nothing to do with it.

If you want to complain fine, if you find things that can be resolved great, but at least keep your comments factual?

Siegfroh
Major

Re: Re:

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:25 pm

loki100 wrote:If you want to complain fine, if you find things that can be resolved great, but at least keep your comments factual?

It is you who said both are working to repair this game "for free and in spare time".

The fact is, this game is sold for money by AGEOD (currently only for 7 Euros, but they make some bucks with it every month):

http://www.ageod.com/products/486/details/Pride.of.Nations

In my world, someone who sells something is (at least morally) responsibe that it works as promised. For the bugs and even the glitches which are still in the game (more than 5 years after it has been published), AGEOD, the company which sells it, is responsibe. Maybe it was a bad investment to buy the game from Paradox, but this is no excuse to sell a bad or imperfect product to customers and don't work on removing all the bugs.

That the two Phils, working for AGEOD (at least so it seems to me from their profiles in this forum), feel responsible for the game they contributed to develop (?), and work to improve it, is great. However, the company AGEOD is responsible for the game, and I hope it allocated them both paid working time to do the amendments they did, even though the amendments done up to now don't suffice.

Anyway, it is but a game. You and many others have fun with it as it is, I haven't. And I have tried to assist in pushing the game to a better level for too long, I don't believe any longer it can become a game I will enjoy to play. So the consequence is simple: I will have to go and look somewehere else for some gaming fun. ;-)

PS. And sorry for not being very constructive in this posting.

Return to “Help improve PON”