Lemoni
Sergeant

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Pocus wrote:Yes sadly even if the game got some speed up since last official patch. I'm glad the major issues are now gone. We will see if we can fix the others minors issues reported before closing for good this patch, it has been a long wait for many players.

I am sure dedicated players can wait for very very long time.Besides now, you have EURO 2016 taking place. :)
I am also sure you are doing your best. Even with these small bugs ,even with long turn time PON is miles away
from other PC games trying to bring this era in our computers

bri_bates
Conscript

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Uhm, on those collection issues posted above, doesn't the target province have to be adjacent to a collection point? I know it's been a while since I played but I seem to recall that was the case.

That still leaves the problem with the Blue Ridge-Raleigh connection (lack thereof) but the others all appear to be working as intended to me.

bbmike
Sergeant

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Does this patch include any of the "PON code updated to EAW-CW2-WON standard" mentioned earlier or is that still coming?
And thanks for this patch! :)

33rd Fusilier Regt
Conscript

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:28 am

Noticed an oddity where Franklin Pierce won the 1852 Election, however the Whig candidate Winfield Scott ends up president

PhilThib

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 am

May be he resigned on the way to Capitol Hill ;) . Seriously, you did not notice any kind of other event that could have caused the change?

Pocus

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:07 pm

bbmike wrote:Does this patch include any of the "PON code updated to EAW-CW2-WON standard" mentioned earlier or is that still coming?
And thanks for this patch! :)

Yes, the engine is now to the latest standard.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Siegfroh
Major

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Pocus wrote:Yes, the engine is now to the latest standard.

I don't see any difference to the game before the update, except the small flags in areas with disputed military control ?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Lemoni wrote:I am sure dedicated players can wait for very very long time.Besides now, you have EURO 2016 taking place. :)
I am also sure you are doing your best. Even with these small bugs ,even with long turn time PON is miles away
from other PC games trying to bring this era in our computers

Plus one

33rd Fusilier Regt
Conscript

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:26 am

PhilThib wrote:May be he resigned on the way to Capitol Hill ;) . Seriously, you did not notice any kind of other event that could have caused the change?

The 1852 election occurred Franklin Pierce won, at least according to the event message, which was in red in the message log. When the inauguration occurred in April 1853 Winfield Scott became president. Need to check, think he also the highest ranking army general, don't think his unit/tile was removed.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:59 pm

33rd Fusilier Regt wrote:The 1852 election occurred Franklin Pierce won, at least according to the event message, which was in red in the message log. When the inauguration occurred in April 1853 Winfield Scott became president. Need to check, think he also the highest ranking army general, don't think his unit/tile was removed.

Winfield Scott was never elected President, though he was a candidate. He led the successful invasion of Mexico during the Mexican American war. He was the top ranking American general at the beginning of the civil war, and persuaded Lincoln to offer command of the Union forces to Robert E Lee.
Lee declined the command. Scott also developed the strategic plan that was used to defeat the Confederacy in the Civil war.

One of Americas most brilliant soldiers, but a poor politician.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Can I ask for feedback on some of the longer event chains under the beta? Realise that some are multi-year so impossible to test in a short time but I'd really appreciate views on;

a) are you seeing a Crimean War? If the main countries are AI controlled it should happen.
b) American Civil War - is the south spawning with an army
c) Indian Mutiny - at the end India should become largely a GB colony not a patchwork of provinces
d) German unification - I took out the precondition around Schleswig-Holstein (for the AI) so the rest should occur more often
e) Italy - I'm pretty sure this works as it is probably the one event chain I understood intimately

Late game - if you get there:

Things should happen in China (forced European control), Japan should get powerful.

I'm trying to test some of the shorter term ones by altering start dates and so on but thats not the same as seeing if it happens in context.

Also are there any events you feel do not work - The American-Spanish war of 1898 may be one.

We don't have long, but I have a couple of free days in the coming week and wanted to use that for a final poke at the event side of PoN for the patch

ta

Roger
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

33rd Fusilier Regt
Conscript

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:00 pm

loki100 wrote:Can I ask for feedback on some of the longer event chains under the beta? Realise that some are multi-year so impossible to test in a short time but I'd really appreciate views on;

a) are you seeing a Crimean War? If the main countries are AI controlled it should happen.
b) American Civil War - is the south spawning with an army
c) Indian Mutiny - at the end India should become largely a GB colony not a patchwork of provinces
d) German unification - I took out the precondition around Schleswig-Holstein (for the AI) so the rest should occur more often
e) Italy - I'm pretty sure this works as it is probably the one event chain I understood intimately

Late game - if you get there:

Things should happen in China (forced European control), Japan should get powerful.

I'm trying to test some of the shorter term ones by altering start dates and so on but thats not the same as seeing if it happens in context.

Also are there any events you feel do not work - The American-Spanish war of 1898 may be one.

We don't have long, but I have a couple of free days in the coming week and wanted to use that for a final poke at the event side of PoN for the patch

ta

Roger

Have only gotten to 1855 playing as the United States, no Crimean War.

Conflicts:

Russo-Sweden War: Russia has been at war with Sweden this has been a long war, Russian forces invaded from the north (i.e. Finland/Norway) don't think this would have been feasible in the time period. Russia has conquered most of Sweden.

Russo-Prussian War: This occurred after the above war started, Russia has occupied some Mecklenburg, Altmark and Memel. Prussia has occupied portions of Poland.

Russo-Ottoman War: This occurring during above wars, provinces in present day Romania and Bulgaria occupied by Russia

Note sure how Russia is fighting all of these wars

Prusso-Belgian War: this started early and still ongoing. Prussia also fighting Russia. Have not seen any Belgian territory fall, not sure if this is just a 'Colonial War'.

Anglo-China War: Great Britain fighting China, war ended, does not seem as though any portion of China fell. Do not recall any messages for Opium Wars.

Austro-SP War: Austria has taken over Savoie. Remains to be seen if this is going to trigger a French response.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:08 am

whow - apart from possibly the Russian-Ottoman war all those are unscripted. There is a chance that the Russian-Ottoman war won't escalate, but I have a feeling that is too high - one to check over.

bbmike
Sergeant

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:48 pm

loki100 wrote:whow - apart from possibly the Russian-Ottoman war all those are unscripted. There is a chance that the Russian-Ottoman war won't escalate, but I have a feeling that is too high - one to check over.

Might some of that depend on what "extended" options you choose before starting the game (like no restrictions on force pools or buildings, allowing claims on all regions, etc.)?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:11 pm

bbmike wrote:Might some of that depend on what "extended" options you choose before starting the game (like no restrictions on force pools or buildings, allowing claims on all regions, etc.)?

possibly, the other issue is that when Christophe (who did all the real work) started on the events, the diplomacy engine for the AI was very different to that now imported from Wars of Napoleon. So he created a set of 'interests' for the AI to try and draw its attention to certain things. Now if the core engine works as PoN was originally planned for (and we can all thank Paradox for that bit of lack of support), the new events may have overdone it - but its very hard to test this just by setting up circumstances that trigger scripted dates etc.

If I recall from the beta, at some stages there were AI-AI wars all over the place, which you don't really want in a realistic simulation of 19C diplomacy and economics.

V for Vegas
Corporal

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:59 pm

I've noticed the AI has been a bit more trigger happy - UK declared war on Hungary first turn in my France test game I started the other day.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:36 am

33rd Fusilier Regt wrote:Have only gotten to 1855 playing as the United States, no Crimean War.

Conflicts:

Russo-Sweden War: Russia has been at war with Sweden this has been a long war, Russian forces invaded from the north (i.e. Finland/Norway) don't think this would have been feasible in the time period. Russia has conquered most of Sweden.

Russo-Prussian War: This occurred after the above war started, Russia has occupied some Mecklenburg, Altmark and Memel. Prussia has occupied portions of Poland.

Russo-Ottoman War: This occurring during above wars, provinces in present day Romania and Bulgaria occupied by Russia

Note sure how Russia is fighting all of these wars

Prusso-Belgian War: this started early and still ongoing. Prussia also fighting Russia. Have not seen any Belgian territory fall, not sure if this is just a 'Colonial War'.

Anglo-China War: Great Britain fighting China, war ended, does not seem as though any portion of China fell. Do not recall any messages for Opium Wars.

Austro-SP War: Austria has taken over Savoie. Remains to be seen if this is going to trigger a French response.

I am very early in my new game as US, but I did see the Crimean War event take place, in 1853, and it has been going on for two years. Britain and France have joined the Turks against Russia, and a pretty lively battle has been going on in the Balkans, with a number of provinces changing hands.

bwiser
Private

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 am

Have started a game a Belgium. On turn 4 Prussia declared war on me - quite a bummer and will not have a chance on this ...

33rd Fusilier Regt
Conscript

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:09 am

bwiser wrote:Have started a game a Belgium. On turn 4 Prussia declared war on me - quite a bummer and will not have a chance on this ...

I have started a new game as USA, Prussia has declared war early on Belgium as well, it is early to mid 1850.

Siegfroh
Major

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Could there be another intermediate patch which repairs the missing indication of experience levels of units, the cut info on treaties in effect (in the diplomacy screen), the several missing strings pointed out, rename one of the two Daytons in Ohio, change the "wine" resources in California to "grapes" ?

It would encourage some (or at least one: me :D ) to start a game with this latest patch, and thus enable more people to find any problems with events - or confirm that there aren't any left ...

bbmike
Sergeant

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Playing as the USA, I've noticed the text is missing that describes the relationship with the natives. Right now it just shows something like "str_friendly" or "str_neutral".
Also, Great Britain has just declared war on Finland! But I am playing without any historical restrictions. :neener:

Pocus

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:31 pm

thanks for the remark on the missing text, these are indeed additions that need to be added to PON.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ETF
Captain

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:42 pm

What is the latest then patch gentleman? 1.04? beta?

Mr Bill
Corporal

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 pm

V for Vegas wrote:I've noticed the AI has been a bit more trigger happy - UK declared war on Hungary first turn in my France test game I started the other day.

I've noticed overly aggressive AI diplomacy as well. I've been playing 1880 GC as Japan, and have started several games. Within the first year, I always seem to see Italy DOW El Salvador and other random South American countries like Paraguay. I've seen Russia DOW Sweden, and have seen things like the UK DOW Bohemia. I would like to see the AI a little less trigger happy. It'd be nice if the AI's decisions to declare war could be tied more to their SOIs and crises.

Edit: I have discovered a kludge of sorts for the issue of wars all over the place, though I'm not sure if it will cause instability, so use at your own risk...probably best to back up your save before you try this. To end a war currently in progress, you can use the console like this:
DiploAdd <FactionTag1> <FactionTag2> 13

The 13 above is the DiploUID of a peace treaty found in the database stickied in the PON Mods forum. An example usage of the command ending a war between the British Empire and Afghanistan would be to type (without quotes) "DiploAdd GBR AFG 13" in the console.

bri_bates
Conscript

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 am

ETF wrote:What is the latest then patch gentleman? 1.04? beta?

The one in the stickied thread labeled June 10.

(So yes, this thread-check out the first post...)

Pocus

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:38 am

It won't cause instability.
The more aggressive AI is in fact the consequence of fixing bugs in diplomatic AIs. I'm pretty sure we won't have time to add specific PON parameters to it though.

bbmike
Sergeant

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Pocus wrote:It won't cause instability.
The more aggressive AI is in fact the consequence of fixing bugs in diplomatic AIs. I'm pretty sure we won't have time to add specific PON parameters to it though.

As long as you are hard at work on PoN2 we don't mind. :love:

Mr Bill
Corporal

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Pocus wrote:It won't cause instability.

Ah, good to know it won't cause the game to crash, then. :D Regarding the wars, is it normal that nations like Germany should declare war on nations that don't currently exist in the game world like the Republic of California? I've seen things like this and other nations that don't currently exist get DOWed, like the aforementioned California Republic, Ukraine, and Bohemia-Moravia...seems a bit odd.

Siegfroh
Major

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:10 pm

While waiting for the next patch - be it intermediary or final - I decided to play Turkey when it is out, and already had a look at the map.

In the Constantinople region, something is wrong. All three resources: Tobacco, Cereals, Fish, are indicated as being present in the quantity zero (see as an example below the tooltip for Tobacco).

Still, it seems I could build a tobacco plantation or another fishing port if I had the money, and the fishing port which is already present seems to produce fish.

[ATTACH]39411[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Zwischenablage01.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:14 pm

And another missing string in the region tooltip: strRelNeutralWith

[ATTACH]39412[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Zwischenablage01.jpg

Return to “Help improve PON”