Pocus

August 3rd quickfix

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi,

This is a quickfix for PON 1.04RC2. I have mixed news about it, so it should not be considered as official and is only personal work. It fixes the slowdown in the B and F4 screen (commerce) but on the other hand I now see that what is using a textgrid component is not displaying text. This mean you get no text in the population screen and no table data in the element detail window.

After looking some hours, I have not found the solution (the issue took me more time than fixing the slowdown), and as some of you may know, this work is done on my off hours. The problem is that PON can't be fixed in a few hours. So you are always bound to find issues. This one is quite annoying, because I guess some of you do use this population screen but baring a full rework, the bug won't be removed I fear. ps: you can get population need by hovering over a resource in the F4 screen.

In any case, here is the new executable. I ran some turns of a GC and the RJ war too. You might see changed things because it is basically using the latest code base, including improvements in AI. I'll try doing a readme after my return.

As for the interface bug in the population screen, I'll try returning to it once End all Wars is out, probably on my off time too though, so don't expect a great pace.

My apologize for the long delay and this half baked fix.

here--->
[ATTACH]29734[/ATTACH]

EDIT:

It is confirmed that a display bug has been introduced that prevent seeing the portraits in the Element Detail window, and that this same bug will make the regions list not listing anything.

It is confirmed that the commerce screens are now faster and that the immortal bug is gone.

So choose your poison. With such reduced team (in fact this QF was done on a rainy Sunday), it was going to happen. But we will return to PON with a quick fix or full patch one day!
Attachments
PON.zip
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 616 times

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:02 pm

thank you and have a great holiday
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Pocus

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi,

I'm back! Just wanted to see if anyone fired this version and is validating that the B/F4 screens are now much speedier? Want also to be sure that no major new bug introduced (except this display problem in the regions list that will be fixed in a few weeks at most). ?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I've tried it and it reduces the lag with 1.04 to what I found in 1.03e - ie for a late game with a huge save file it still takes a little time but that is the game and my laptop. So it does seem that this makes F4 and the B screen useable with 1.04 now.

thank you
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 am

Pocus wrote:Hi,

I'm back! Just wanted to see if anyone fired this version and is validating that the B/F4 screens are now much speedier? Want also to be sure that no major new bug introduced (except this display problem in the regions list that will be fixed in a few weeks at most). ?

Hope you had a nice vacation. May we hope that the immortal garrison bug will also be fixed in a few weeks? That would be welcome news indeed.

Pocus

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:30 am

It should be fixed in the QF I released.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Pocus wrote:It should be fixed in the QF I released.

Great news! Downloading now.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:35 pm

I have downloaded the quickfix patch, yet I cannot figure out how to install it, being very ignorant about computers. It does not install the usual ageod way. Can anyone help me ?

Owl
Major

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Drag the PON.exe inside the downloaded archive into your Pride of Nations directory, overwriting the file that already exists there when prompted.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Thank you, Owl, I appreciate your help!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:20 am

Pocus wrote:Hi,

Pocus, I have tried those two screens and they work just as well as they did before the problem began. In other words, you have fixed them.
Thank you for making the game playable again!

czert2
Brigadier General

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 pm

is this lattest version ?

Owl
Major

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:25 pm

This is the newest version available, yeah.

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi. I tried the update and I'm happy to say that the game does seem to process turns faster than before.

I noticed that I can no longer see uniform portraits in the element details page after installing the hotfix. Is this a known issue?

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Also, I cannot see any data on the F6 population screen.

Reiryc

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:25 am

is the garrison bug fixed then? Can anyone confirm?

edit: immortal garrion is fixed.

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:35 am

Any ETA on a fix for the F6 census screen or the unit data screens?

Pocus

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 am

No ETA, the dev on it worked to fix the problem, but so far it eludes us, sorry. We are considering using the Population screen for CW2 but it needs revamp for PON.

Silent Disapproval Robot
Conscript

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks Pocus.

What about the unit data cards? I cannot see range information or unit art.

Pocus

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 am

That's the same problem actually, at some point something ceased to work and we are failing to pinpoint what. This is quite annoying because the change is probably minute in the end...

Sir Garnet

Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:23 am

I'm glad to hear of the update. Pride of Nations is a great game design with a superior combat engine and a lot of promise all round.

With competing non-game demands, I just lost energy when I couldn't seem to sort out the game modding scripting issues and commands accurately and consistently enough for desired game corrections. Hope a player-driven modding wiki covering scripting and modding will emerge.

If there is a revision, I'd be pleased to help on the manual.

Return to “Help improve PON”