Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Naval Seaman Trait.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:52 pm

The admiral trait Seaman, which gives a 25% bonus to move speed appears to do nothing. Ships don't go any faster when commanded by such admirals.

Anyone else seeing this? Did it work in previous version?

Captain_Orso

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 pm

On what are you basing that statement? Please give an example.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:27 pm

If you start up the July '61 scenario, 'the coming fury' it is quick to check.

In the shipping box is a fleet commanded by James Palmer. I split the fleet in half and ordered both stacks to sail to California. The fleet commanded by James Palmer, who has the seaman trait is set arrive in 49 days. The fleet without a commander is also set to arrive 49 days. I run a couple of turns and both fleets arrive on the same day. James Palmer's stack with the seaman trait does not move any faster than the leaderless stack.

I also checked Foote's river fleet in St. Louis. Same splitting as above, no faster movement from Foote compared to a solo gunboat.

Geohff
Corporal

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:50 am

Interesting, I wonder if it just an abstract used during combat ie: faster so harder to hit?

Captain_Orso

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:13 am

Okay, that's something that can be looked into.

One thing to note, the bonus is 25% calculated per region, not turn. If your fleet moves from one river region to the next, and the movement normally costs 1 day [ 1 - ( 1 * .25) = .75 Rounded-Up=> 1 ]. Only when the move into the next region take 4 or more days will any affect be noticeable.

DrPostman

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Cant ships in the same region be effected differently by weather? In the case of
two fleets setting out from the same port were there any messages that one or
both were delayed?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:38 pm

DrPostman wrote:Cant ships in the same region be effected differently by weather?
8<

No, weather is actually the same within an entire weather area, which is composed of a number of neighboring regions. Weather is never different for different stacks within the same region.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:10 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Okay, that's something that can be looked into.

One thing to note, the bonus is 25% calculated per region, not turn. If your fleet moves from one river region to the next, and the movement normally costs 1 day [ 1 - ( 1 * .25) = .75 Rounded-Up=> 1 ]. Only when the move into the next region take 4 or more days will any affect be noticeable.

Oh, yeah. That is it. I learned that before - probably from you - but I forgot it. Thanks.

The trait does seem a bit misleading, but ships probably move far enough as it is. Though if it worked per turn the CSA might be able to invade California consistently before those free garrisons show up, oh well, time to stop chasing dreams of gold then...

Keeler
Captain

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:No, weather is actually the same within an entire weather area, which is composed of a number of neighboring regions. Weather is never different for different stacks within the same region.

I think Dr. Postman is asking why the "Delayed by Bad weather" message affects only some fleets leaving from the same port on the same turn. My guess is this is due to bad weather in the zones through which the affected fleet's path is calculated.
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

DrPostman

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Keeler wrote:I think Dr. Postman is asking why the "Delayed by Bad weather" message affects only some fleets leaving from the same port on the same turn. My guess is this is due to bad weather in the zones through which the affected fleet's path is calculated.

I was also wondering if it's consistent with all the fleets leaving from the
same port. My ships are often delayed when leaving, so that might have
been the cause for the difference.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “Help improve CW2”