AndrewKurtz

Forces passed each other in the Shenandoah Valley

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 pm

I just had a very odd occurrence in a PBEM game. We are using Veteran activation.

Union had a force in Harpers Ferry. CSA had a force in Strasburg. Winchester had a garrison. My union forces were told to move from HF to Winchester. CSA had Johnston move from Strasburg to HF. They passed each other in Winchester with no battle, and now it looks like this. I would have expected a battle should have occurred in Winchester.

[ATTACH]33382[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33383[/ATTACH]
Attachments
KurtzvEmperor.zip
(369.06 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
PassingInTheNight.png

Pocus

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:08 pm

This is not a bug per se. There is no test in the engine that will force a battle if 2 forces are moving in what seems to be opposed direction. 99.9% of the time, forces will engage each other because of posture and combat delay, but with a series of failed commitment rolls, what you see is possible.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

AndrewKurtz

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Intreresting. I'm not sure I've ever seen it happen before, but if I just saw the .1%, guess it is time to go buy a lottery ticket.

Pocus

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:42 pm

I got this problem once, so this makes two, this is why I said this is very rare and I'm reluctant adding a test for each force moving, each turn.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help improve CW2”