Attachments
SaveLogScript.zip
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
endturnerror.jpg
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

DrPostman

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Also, when starting the game I get a bunch of these, requiring me to
end the game process and start it again.
[ATTACH]33290[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33291[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33292[/ATTACH]
Attachments
startup3.jpg
startup2.jpg
startup1.jpg

Captain_Orso

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:38 pm

I've gotten that two or three times in the last two days, but only the first time I start the 1.05a game. Starting the game again without having restarted my system and it doesn't happen.

DrPostman

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I've noticed that if I restart explorer (not the browser) I can start the game
without problem. I'll just keep doing that until this gets figured out and
fixed.

Pocus

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 am

DrPostman wrote:Also, when starting the game I get a bunch of these, requiring me to
end the game process and start it again.
[ATTACH]33290[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33291[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33292[/ATTACH]

This only happens if you are in error logging (which is good) and the general public won't get it. It means that a particular .rgn file was slow to load, more than 75 ms, which is an eternity for a computer :)
Can you open one of the culprit .rgn and search for commas ,,,,, as a numeric separator, do you get some? If yes, where?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am

I checked all the regional files, starting with the ones the engine complained about. There are no commas in any of them at all.

I have however noted 9 new lines, RegionList1-9, each nearly double in length of the previous line until the last line is nearly 2000 characters long(!!). This may be what is slowing down the initial processing, although I don't know exactly why it should work better during subsequent loads other than may some Windows pre-caching, but that should survive between system boots, but it isn't.

DrPostman

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 am

I checked all 3 of those above files and can't find any commas (,). I used EditPad Lite.
The next time I have that pop up I will, instead of restarting explorer, do a search for
the files that came up and see if I see any then. Probably a waste of time, but I've got
some time on my hands right now. If you like I can give you my regions folder. It's
only 32.5mb

Captain_Orso

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:01 pm

There are no commas in any of the region files; I've checked them all with Total Commander.

As Pocus stated, the game engine is taking longer than 75ms to complete processing a file and complaining. The message is hard-coded and possibly the error-handling doesn't even make an attempt to discover why the processing was taking to so long.

DrPostman

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Pocus

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:48 am

Yes, the check is probably too crude and I'll amend it. It may be normal for a few regions, which are "crossroads" to others (like a big sea) to need this long. The message was added to spot outrageous loading time, linked to a possible corruption of data (. to , ).

Now as for these big lists, they are the precalculated lists of links from 1 to 9 regions away of each region. That's exponential as you guess, and the big speed up in the engine added recently and valid for all games (as new patches appear) is thanks to that. Searching which regions are 4 links away of a given one might be no problem, if calculated on the fly. But if a few tests need to search much further, then it was killing performance. I'm thorn if I must be overjoyed or sad to have found after so many years this silver bullet optimization. I wish it was found much earlier.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help improve CW2”