Ol' Choctaw

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 am

If they are belligerent, then the CSA should have the two Iron Cursers. CSS Mississippi and CSS North Carolina with the steam frigate CSS Alexandra, and it would spark intervention by Britain and France. Otherwise, it is just a visit by foreign ships.

This was a part of “the Great Game”. Russia trying to provoke a response by GB and France. It might tie down European forces but there was nothing that could touch the two Iron ships. The were the most advanced ships in the world at the time and there was no counter to them. The would have destroyed the blockade and put the Union Navy on the defensive until they could build something to mach them. Had the CSA won a major battle during this time, the two powers would more likely release those ships and call the bluff of the Union, as they did a year later when the CSS Stonewall was commissioned.

Jarkko
Colonel

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:23 pm

RebelYell wrote:Should this be in the game? This was news for me. :blink:

http://www.c-span.org/History/Events/The-Civil-War-Russian-Fleets-in-America-in-1863/10737442083-1/

Ecellent link! Thank you, I was not aware of this, excellent lesson to listen to!
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Jarkko wrote:Ecellent link! Thank you, I was not aware of this, excellent lesson to listen to!

Trying to watch as many of these as I can, many great lectures. :thumbsup:

anjou
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Does it add that the Tsar needed a reason to keep the fleets out in open waters in case war broke out between the UK and France over the January Uprising in Poland, as well? That seems like a more logical reason than showing support for a war that didn't concern them.

Jarkko
Colonel

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:41 pm

anjou wrote:Does it add that the Tsar needed a reason to keep the fleets out in open waters in case war broke out between the UK and France over the January Uprising in Poland, as well? That seems like a more logical reason than showing support for a war that didn't concern them.

Yes. It was a "I am scratching your back because it means my back also gets scratched" issue. Interesting lesson, I did just watch it again. I think the speaker might be biased in some of his points, but nevertheless, an excellent hour and half spent (or in my case, three hours).
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Le Ricain

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 pm

During the development of CW2, the event of the Russian fleets visiting New York and San Francisco was done by myself. I would imagine that in some future patch the event will be added.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

PhilThib

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:26 am

The event is in the game :)

Return to “Help improve CW2”