tripax
AGEod Veteran

Bad weather strikes contrabands, run turn fails

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:18 pm

I'm union it is February 1862 and the Contrabands are in northern Kentucky (region 542, just south of Cincinnati). I click run turn and half way through loading the game goes to the start screen and the turn is not run. I check !Main log and find the following as the last 5 lines (the first two look fine, then the trouble):

Code: Select all

4:56:46 PM  (Reporting)  TUnit.CheckConsistency                1003335 N.S. Evans renamed from UnitDef DB to  N.S. Evans
4:56:46 PM  (Reporting)  TUnit.CheckConsistency                1003336 N.S. Evans renamed from Model DB to  N.G. Evans
4:56:46 PM  MakeSupplyDistribution 45705712.2 µs
4:56:46 PM  [Error    ]  THost.CheckHarshnessDamage            Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 0083F006 dans le module 'CW2.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000008 in region 542
4:56:46 PM  [Error    ]  THost.AbortProcess                    Hosting aborted while performing PreHostProcess: CheckHarshnessDamage
4:56:46 PM  [Error    ]  THost.AbortProcess                    Hosting aborted while performing PreHostProcess

Hmm, so I check region #542 and see the contrabands and "snow" and "harsh weather". I wonder. It happens that there is a brigade of Kentucky Volunteers in the same region. Both are passive and moving towards Cincinnati. I try changing their destination and no change. I then combine the two units and let them sit in the region on B/B. The turn now works, yay! The contrabands have taken 2 hits (sad). I wonder if the problem had something to do with weather dealing hits to or destroying contrabands, I'm not sure.

All is well for me, but if you want to recreate the bug, let me know and I'll return to the previous turn and see if I can recreate the error. If so, I'll zip up the save files and attach.
Across the South, we have a deep appreciation of history -- we haven’t always had a deep appreciation of each other’s history. - Reverend Clementa Pinckney

DrPostman

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:25 am

I believe those are just a flavor unit. How many of us find the contraband unit to be
useful?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:39 pm

The contraband unit is as useful as you find use for it. I always keep it near where the South is attacking rail lines, sending it along with a militia to do repairs.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:34 pm

Why are the slave units not used in the game for CSA?

You could make it easy to capture the units in battle and upgrade it to an Union regiment, same for contrabands?

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:01 pm

I have gotten this error again. I run the turn and before the turn finishes it returns me to the menu screen. This time I am playing as CSA and have Belle Boyd in Beverley, WV (region 785). I check the main log and see:

Code: Select all

2:30:27 PM  [Error    ]  THost.CheckHarshnessDamage            Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 0083F006 dans le module 'CW2.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000008 in region 785

Ms Boyd is alone in the region and the weather is very harsh, it being Late February 1863. Her intention was initially to move out of the region, but no matter which direction I attempted to move her and no matter what disposition I gave her, it seemed the same error happened. I disbanded her and the turn was then successful.

In general, it seems that the game doesn't no how to handle the combination of very bad weather and certain kinds of units (contrabands, Belle Boyd, others?).
Across the South, we have a deep appreciation of history -- we haven’t always had a deep appreciation of each other’s history. - Reverend Clementa Pinckney

Pocus

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:50 am

This save is of interest to me, please post it. As an archive, and you can use an uploading service like wetransfer.com if need be! PM me in case you see no answer from me... Thanks!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Sorry, that turn is long gone.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”