richfed

1.04 Crash

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Clean Install, Full Campaign, CSA, Windows 8.1

This seems to happen almost exclusively during most 1862 turns. It has happened in every game I have started with he official 1.04 patch. The error appear during the AI phase, but when I click OK it continues on until just before the days start to play out. Reloading the game usually, but not always [then I need to restart multiple times], resumes at that point. Save & log provided.

PS - Don't forget, in the next patch, that you cannot reload previously saved games except via "Resume" - that, of course, means you can only continue the latest game.
Attachments
!Main log.zip
(433.39 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
1.04 Crash.jpg

richfed

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Anything on this? Quite annoying during 1862, and especially on the turns where I have to restart 3 or 4 times to get the turn processed. I have the .exe set to Run as Administrator which worked in previous builds.

Might a patch be out soon?

Pocus

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:52 am

CW2 bug fixing has resumed yes!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Just wanted to update this thread and issue ...

I had to restore my PC back to its factory settings. After fully patching Windows and re-installing all my software & settings, I decide to give CW2 a go.

I fired up the game and, on a whim decided to load a previously started game [included in my file backup and restored to my PC]. It worked! Anyway, I started a new game and am now in August 1862 and not a single crash. Very weird, but very welcomed. So, apparently, something might have been askew in my previous installation, though I'm not sure what as I've pretty much fully restored everything to its previous state. So , unless others are reporting similar issues, my problems SEEM to be resolved.

richfed

Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Well, so much for that ... finally crashed in late '62, I think. Now, in a newly started game, it crashed in mid-'61. Seems a very intermittent, but stubborn, thing. Next time it happens, I will post logs again.

Pocus

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

The error reported is

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Which is happening, in this particular case, when a log file was updated for AI Agents. I reviewed this piece of code, and there is no obvious error. This is an error that can happen if the developer opens a file, write into it, and then forget to close the file. In this case, everything is done properly, so I don't know. I installed some bulletproof code though in case of, but there is no logic. Also, as it happens only for a few users like you, this can also be coming from an external program perusing into the file at the same time it is written by the game engine. I would say an anti virus for example or anything monitoring your PC.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”