ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Freezing During AI portion of turn resolution, RC4

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 am

I am playing an April Campaign under RC4. Starting in Aug of 1861 the game has begun to freeze during the AI portion of turn resolution (the cursor that looks like a map with colored lines). The cursor moves around the screen, and when I click the mouse a Windows dialog opens telling me that CW2.exe is not responding and giving me the option to quit the application, which it does cleanly.

It first happened on the turn prior to the save below. I tried a number of reloads, tried issuing different orders, etc. but still froze at the same point every time. I tried loading a different saved game, (which was originally from 1.03) and everything worked fine. I reloaded the current game as the Union side, entered an extraneous move, saved, reloaded as CSA and the turn processed normally. On the following turn, however, the freeze came back, and this is the save below.

Please let me know if there is any other info you require.

Thanks!

[ATTACH]27488[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]27489[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]27490[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Logs.zip
(48.98 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Scripts.zip
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
April 1_04 A.zip
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 108 times

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 am

I started a new April 1861 Campaign as the South and it happened again in June 61. The save, log and scripts:

[ATTACH]27491[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Bug Report 2.zip
(4.27 MiB) Downloaded 113 times

Pocus

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Got nothing in both saves. The first one is asking me to revert US to AI also?

Has anybody else managed to get a crash?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

The "revert to AI" bit is because on the previous turn, when the freeze first happened, I switched sides and entered an extraneous order and switched back, which allowed the turn to process; the freeze happened again on the round the current save is at (I did not switch sides the second time).

If neither save froze for you, is there possibly some sort of hardware or system issue on my end? When I get home today I will post a more detailed description of my system and the in-game graphics and memory settings I used if those will be relevant.

Just to be clear, this is not a "crash," the game freezes during the portion of the turn resolution right after the the Generating AI Files message is displayed above the progress bar, almost as if the AI is still thinking: the cursor moves around, and the red and blue lines on the cursor continue to flash, but the progress bar stays at 2. I have tried just letting it run for as long as 15 minutes with no response, it is only when I click the mouse that the Windows dialog comes up.

(I started and completed a Sibley Campaign last night as CSA under RC4 with no problems, so far this has only happened in the April scenario.)

Pocus

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am

If you got no freeze before, then this is probably not hardware related, I have touched nothing except game logic in this new patch. Perhaps someone else will report this weird freeze and we can progress in our investigation :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks, I will sit tight and play other scenarios for now!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 am

Tried a fresh install, patched it to 1.04RC4, and got the freeze again, this time in the July 61 Campaign.

[ATTACH]27558[/ATTACH]

These issues may not be related, but I no longer have the chevrons on units in the unit panels, and Defensive works does not provide a loyalty boost.
Attachments
July 61 Freeze Report.zip
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 102 times

Pocus

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:58 am

Works well on my side. I need someone else to test your turn.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 pm

RESOLVED!!

After much tinkering, and several re-installations I finally figured it out. I had set the game to use 75% of memory, and my background processes had increased to 27% of total memory causing some sort of conflict. When I lowered the memory allocation on the options page to 50% everything worked fine.

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”